How to Hire Software Developers: Getting Top Talents for Your Project
ScienceSoft has 33 years of experience in software development outsourcing.
Possible hiring models: in-house payroll, team augmentation, dedicated team.
Key steps of the hiring process: defining requirements to resources, interviewing, hiring, onboarding, team building.
Talents required for software development: software architect, back-end developer, front-end developer, DevOps engineer, QA engineer.
Costs: depending on the hiring model (see details).
ScienceSoft provides all necessary talents for hire under both team augmentation and dedicated team outsourcing models. We assist with onboarding and team building of our experts as well as help businesses optimize the costs.
Before hiring software developers, you should decide which hiring model works best for you: in-house hiring, team augmentation, or a dedicated team. ScienceSoft advises to study such criteria as legal employment status, management responsibilities, as well as payment models to understand the pros and cons of each model.
To find out about all implications of hiring models in detail, check ScienceSoft's in-house vs. outsourcing overview.
Plans out software architecture (microservices, multi-tenancy, headless, etc.), oversees architecture compliance with the initial performance, availability and scalability requirements.
Backend software developer
Delivers code of the server-side scripts, sets up databases and clouds, performs API integrations.
Frontend software developer
Implements UI design mockups and delivers code of the client-side scripts.
Establishes the Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery pipeline to speed up software releases.
Creates and runs tests based on software requirements, logs testing results, verifies overall software compliance with the established quality standards.
With over 33 years of experience in outsourced software development, ScienceSoft offers team augmentation and dedicated team services.
Hire experienced talent to eliminate staff shortage or skill deficiency in your development team. We guarantee:
- Onboarding in under 5 days.
- Fast and easy scale up and down (1 week).
- Developers who are proactive and open to challenges.
- Shrewd balance of technical and business knowledge in understanding of your processes
Hire a self-managed team of skilled developers to work on your project. We guarantee:
- Needs analysis by our business analysts with 5-9 years of experience.
- Development launch in 2-3 weeks.
- Team management by a full-scale Project Management Office.
- Shrewd balance of technical and business knowledge in understanding of your processes.
- Transparency in cooperation
Why Choose ScienceSoft as Your Software Development Vendor
- In IT since 1989.
- Over 3,300 success stories.
- IBM, Nestle, NASA JPL, T-Mobile, and Rakuten Viber among clients.
ScienceSoft is the name we would recommend to every company seeking a committed IT services provider. We have been working with ScienceSoft for 6 years and our relationships covered multiple areas such as software development of server-based systems with desktop and mobile clients, software testing, software consulting and system integration. ScienceSoft professional staff has the willingness to endeavor best efforts to ensure project success. We are especially impressed with the high quality of the deliverables.
Markku Ursin, CEO, BroadSoft
1. Defining requirements to candidates
Before you start searching for developers to deliver your project, ScienceSoft recommends seeking for IT consultants, who will help you prepare a software requirements specification (SRS). When designed properly, this document contains detailed information on the technical skills (programming languages, platforms, development tools) that you need to look for in the future candidates.
To form accurate soft skill requirements (communication abilities, mentorship experience, problem-solving skills, etc.), consult your PM, software architect, or a team lead: these are the people who will work closely with the developers, and their preferences matter.
ScienceSoft's tip: Divide technical and soft skills into ‘must-haves’ and ‘nice-to-haves’ depending on project specifics and the talents you may already have on your team, as you need to balance out the aptitudes. ScienceSoft also finds it effective to help candidates with solid 'must-have' skills acquire nice-to-have skills via internal trainings.
2. Screening and interviewing
In case of in-house hiring, entrust the screening and first-round interviewing of software developers to the HR department.
In case of outsourcing, you start with the vendor search. Once you find and contact a suitable vendor, you receive their assistance in choosing required talents:
- For a dedicated team – you discuss your project needs with a vendor, receive their proposal with a project plan and cost/time estimations, and proceed (or don’t) to the next step – requesting CVs for assembling a self-managed team – based on your impression of their offer.
- For team augmentation – a vendor analyzes your requirements and provides you with the CVs of fitting candidates from their pool.
After the HR department or a vendor shortlists the top candidates, it’s time for an in-depth technical interview with a PM, a team lead and a software architect. ScienceSoft recommends to break the interview into 2-3 stages and run a technical test. The interviewers should focus on a candidate’s technical savviness (adherence to coding guidelines, ability to solve architecture challenges, etc.) and general attitude (being progress-oriented, complying with the established processes, openness to communication) to make sure they won’t hold back your project or bring unnecessary negativity into the team’s dynamic.
When done in-house, all the legal processes mostly lie with the HR department. In vendor cooperation, the vendor remains an official employer of the developers, which saves your company all the legal paperwork trouble. The key cooperation-related document that you should expect from the vendor in both team augmentation and dedicated team models is Service Level Agreement.
Vendors - including ScienceSoft - are responsible for using a wide range of SaaS collaboration tools to set up two-way communication between:
- project stakeholders on your side and the developers you hired,
- the developers on their team and the developers on your vendor’s team (for team augmentation).
ScienceSoft's tip: To manage pricing quotes, control delivery and payments dates, as well as monitor vendor KPIs, you need to set up the vendor management process. Self-managed vendors like ScienceSoft assist you in this process by sharing access to their internal reporting and project collaboration systems.
The multi-step interviewing for in-house hiring significantly shortens the onboarding period as it generally helps select a natural fit for your working environment. Still, any accommodation to new conditions takes time, and this time depends on a person.
If you don’t have much time to spare and want your hired developers to full-on dive into the working processes as soon as possible, your best solution is to cooperate with a vendor. ScienceSoft's software developers for hire are extremely flexible and can adapt to new project conditions in just under 1 week. It can take up to 2 weeks in case of the dedicated team model, but an on-site visit can significantly speed up the process.
5. Building a team
To create a team, you need to build proper communication between the team members. For an in-house development team, launch team-building training or let the team have a test drive by working on a small project or a project part to practice communication techniques and problem-solving approaches.
If you don’t have enough time and resources to provide complex team training, ScienceSoft recommends to opt for a dedicated self-managed team. With this model, you won’t need to worry about solid team building processes as the vendor will take care of them.
ScienceSoft's Tip: If your project requirements need more than 10 people working on it, make sure large teams are divided into several smaller ones. ScienceSoft's experience has shown that 5-7 members is an optimal number for smooth communication and efficient project cooperation.
Technologies We Use
Rakuten Viber Desktop, Mobile, and Web Application Development Outsourcing
- 3 teams, 40+ developers, 5+ years.
- Windows and Android versions of the VoIP app with over 1.17B downloads.
- Web app on Zend Framework.
- Scrum development and CI/CD with Jenkins & GitLab.
Team Augmentation for Marketplace Development: Go, Angular, Swift, Kotlin
- Multi-vendor marketplace with 14 major product categories, 1+ year of cooperation.
- Front end on Angular with the back end on Golang, native iOS and Android apps on Swift and Kotlin.
- Rearchitecting into microservices.
Software Product Development for a Global Leader in Image Processing
- 12 products developed by ScienceSoft's team.
- 5+ years of cooperation.
- 7 teams with 30 C++ and Qt developers.
- Time-to-market shortened to 3-4 months per product.
Implementation of a Data Analytics Platform for a Telecom Company
- Dedicated team of data scientists.
- ROLAP cubes with 30+ dimensions and 10+ facts for regular and ad-hoc reporting.
- Multi-tenant architecture.
- Cost reduction of AWS computing resources by 80%.
Development of Web and Mobile Apps for a TV Industry Leader
- 5.5 years of cooperation.
- A custom framework for fast and easy app updates via cloud.
- 9 developers continuously working on evolving the products.
ScienceSoft offers fast (1-5 days) scaling up/down of augmented or dedicated teams and can cooperate with other vendors/teams you have.
Our developers need just up to 1 week to fully adjust to your processes or requirements and start showing top productivity.
We leverage best practices and existing custom components to deliver more code in less time, helping you to minimize project costs.
ScienceSoft is a software development and IT consulting company headquartered in McKinney, Texas. As part of our software development outsourcing services, we offer team augmentation and dedicated team options to help customers organize software development projects in an easy, productive, and cost-effective way.