Software Maintenance Costs
How to Estimate and Optimize
Relying on 16 years of experience in software maintenance services, ScienceSoft helps estimate and optimize software maintenance costs for businesses in 30+ industries.
Software Maintenance Costs in Brief
Examples of Software Maintenance
Corrective maintenance constitutes around 20–25% of the total maintenance effort or more if the software is relatively new or still undergoing development.
Adaptive maintenance accounts for about 15–20% of the maintenance effort or more if changes in the software environment or regulatory requirements are frequent.
Preventive maintenance makes up 10–15% of the total maintenance effort.
Perfective maintenance makes up 25–30% of the maintenance effort or more if there is a strong focus on enhancing the software's features and usability.
Major Software Maintenance Cost Factors
Software maintenance costs may vary significantly depending on a project’s specifics. Among general factors that influence the total cost of software maintenance are:
- The type of software maintenance (corrective, adaptive, preventive, perfective), the chosen time coverage (8/5, 12/5, 24/5, 24/7), and the scope of maintenance activities.
- Software type, its complexity, availability and fault tolerance requirements.
- The number of application users.
- Availability of comprehensive software documentation (knowledge base).
- The maintenance team composition and the team members’ seniority level.
In addition, ScienceSoft recommends considering cost factors specific to the chosen sourcing model:
- Talent recruitment that might recur in case of high turnover.
- Investments in the in-house staff training.
- Regular payment of salaries and fringe benefits, tax payments, etc.
- The chosen pricing model (price per ticket, monthly subscription fee, T&M with a cap, mixed).
Sample Software Maintenance Cost Estimation
Depending on the software type, the number of users, and the required activities, monthly software maintenance costs may vary from $5,000 to $50,000+*. Below are monthly cost estimates for maintaining two different cloud-based solutions.
Mature enterprise app with a low volume of change requests
Software maintenance details:
Number of users: ~500 users.
Extended team (optional): Architect, 1 DevOps engineer, 1 QA automation or manual engineer.
- Property management software
Actively evolving customer-facing app with a high volume of change requests
Software maintenance details:
Number of users: 20–50 internal users and 100,000–1,000,000 external users.
*The estimates provided are not ScienceSoft's official pricing for the software maintenance services. We estimate the cost of each project individually, based on our customers' specific situations and needs.
Maintenance vs. Development Costs
How to Calculate Maintenance Cost?
Our team is on it!
ScienceSoft's experts will study your case and get back to you with the details within 24 hours.
ScienceSoft's Cost-Effective Approach to Software Maintenance
Some Facts about ScienceSoft as a Software Maintenance Company
- Since 2007 in software maintenance and since 2012 in cloud services.
- 750+ experts on board.
- 62% of our revenue from the customers we serve for more than 2 years.
- Established prtnerships with Microsoft, Amazon, Oracle, ServiceNow, and other global tech leaders.
- ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 certifications to ensure mature quality management and security of the customers’ data.
- For the second straight year, ScienceSoft USA Corporation is listed among The Americas’ Fastest-Growing Companies by the Financial Times.
ScienceSoft’s Agility in Software Maintenance
< 8 h
for a hot-fix deployment. Collecting and analyzing telemetry data about software performance and usage, we identify issues fast, respond to them in line with their priority, and test the success of the measures taken.
for rolling out comprehensive patches. We reside on mature DevOps processes to ensure that code building, testing, and deployment are automated, which results in swift and secure updates.
< 1 week
for a minor app upgrade. We employ Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) principles to ensure fast and frequent app updates without compromising the app's reliability and stability.
Sourcing Models for Software Support and Maintenance
In-house software maintenance
- The need to establish the software maintenance process from scratch.
Fully outsourced software maintenance
- Exposing your IT infrastructure to a vendor.
A mix of in-house management and outsourced support resources
- Efforts to establish collaboration between the in-house and outsourced teams.
Headquartered in McKinney, TX, ScienceSoft is a global IT service provider with representative offices in seven countries across three continents. Since 2007, we help customers retain and improve their software performance and availability, as well as optimize underlying infrastructure costs. Holding ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 certifications, we employ robust quality management and guarantee the security of our customers' data.