Code Review Services
Spotting Imperfections, Driving Improvements
In software development since 1989, ScienceSoft offers all-around code review services to help improve all aspects of code quality: from clarity and maintainability to security and compliance.
Code review services involve manual and/or automated examinations of application source code, performed by independent IT professionals able to identify the flaws that can compromise code quality and security. Expert code review helps improve source code performance, clarity, scalability, and maintainability as well as fortify software against cyberattacks.
The Scope of Our Code Review Services
SAST – automated security code review
- Encryption errors: weak encryption algorithms or strong encryption algorithms with weak implementation (e.g., insecure key storage).
- Code injection vulnerabilities.
- XSS (cross-site scripting) vulnerabilities.
- Buffer overflows: more data is put into the buffer than it can handle.
- Race conditions: performing two or more operations at the same time.
Manual security-focused code review
- Auditing and logging mechanisms.
- Input/data validation mechanisms.
- Impersonation/delegation mechanisms.
- Session management.
- Communication security.
- The security of connection strings.
- Input/output operations security.
- The presence of serialization filtering.
- Reflection mechanisms.
- The presence of obfuscation.
- If the code is thread-safe.
Additionally, we can:
- Simulate parameter manipulation, SQL and script injections.
- Evaluate the security of access to the development infrastructure and codebase.
All-around code review
In addition to SAST and manual review of code security, we check:
- If descriptive names for code variables are in place.
- If comments about what particular code functions and methods do are present.
- If documentation on what the whole code does and what its dependencies are is in place.
- If the developers can take advantage of ready frameworks and reusable components to get work done faster.
- If the practice of splitting code into shorter units is observed.
- If the code is portable.
- If effective version control is implemented.
- If linter tools (SonarQube, ESLint) are used.
- If exception-handling mechanisms are effective.
- If the required security mechanisms are in place, and more.
A Fragment of Our Code Review
- Since 1989 in software development and IT consulting, 3,600+ success stories across over 30 industries.
- Since 2003 in information security, a solid portfolio of completed projects.
- Since 2013 in DevOps and CI/CD.
Competent code reviewers:
- Senior developers proficient in a broad variety of programming languages and frameworks.
- Seasoned security engineers and compliance consultants.
- Proficiency in static code analyzers (e.g. SonarQube, Roslyn), database profilers (e.g. Microsoft SQL Server Profiler), memory and performance profilers (e.g. dotTrace, dotMemory).
- Adherence to OWASP Application Security Verification Standard.
Guaranteed service quality:
- A mature quality management system confirmed by ISO 9001 certification.
- Complete security of the sensitive data we access proven by ISO 27001 certification.
- A leading outsourcing provider recognized by IAOP.
Trusted by global brands:
What Our Customers Value
YAGER Development GmbH
ScienceSoft has been a life savior for us and our players when we were about to release our video game The Cycle Frontier and were facing immediate issues in terms of backend scalability. Their combination of expert knowledge at Microsoft Azure .NET and great agile collaboration skills allowed us to start working fast and effectively together in solving problems which allowed us to release. We are forever grateful for the help ScienceSoft provided us and would recommend anyone who is in a similar situation.
ScienceSoft didn't fall short of expectations. Their PHP and Node.js skills are excellent. ScienceSoft delivers great technical quality, really dedicated developers, eager to solve problems, and positive about their work and area of expertise. I appreciate their reactivity and collaborative approach. Our investment surely pays off. I know I can rely on them and I like it.
ScienceSoft’s cybersecurity team proved to be result-oriented and attentive to detail. The team responded quickly and produced useful reports which were easy to understand and implement if required. When the testing activities were completed, ScienceSoft provided us with the recommendations for improving our application's security level. Thanks to ScienceSoft, we were able to ensure a higher level of protection of our cloud application and the sensitive customer data stored in it.
ScienceSoft’s PHP team has fixed the app’s security issues and has enhanced its features like financial reporting and attendance tracking to make the app more efficient and easy to use. We are fully satisfied with the current results, and we are going to continue our cooperation with ScienceSoft on this project. We plan to use their help in migrating the app to an up-to-date modern PHP framework to make the most of the app capabilities and keep up with the latest IT standards.
Prof. Dr. Department of Biomedical Science
ScienceSoft provided an excellent level of service in code assessment of our existing healthcare application for life science research. They bring top quality talents and deep knowledge of IT technologies and approaches in accordance with ISO13485 and IEC62304 standards. I would also like to point out that ScienceSoft’s team demonstrated a great engineering culture, proactive approach in work, and the communication was easy and clear. I would certainly recommend ScienceSoft as a reliable partner in IT consulting.
ScienceSoft’s C++ developers have been assisting Supponor in the ongoing development of the software for the past 11 years. Over this time, they have become an indispensable part of our team. ScienceSoft’s experience in cross-platform, real-time systems, and computer graphics as well as their robust skills in integrations across a wide range of highly specific hardware helps to ensure consistently high performance and wide compatibility of Supponor’s products.
To ensure that you receive tangible results, we base our reviews on code quality KPIs: e.g., Cyclomatic Complexity, Maintainability Index for manual reviews. We also help you improve project-level KPIs, such as cycle time, deployment frequency, and more.
We analyze your unique needs, time and budget constraints to suggest the approach (e.g., manual or automated) that offers the best benefit-cost ratio for you. In needed, we are ready to enhance the project team with software architects, compliance consultants, PMs, or any other IT talents to provide the best results for you.
Dedicated to fostering our customers’ digital success, we are eager to share our software development expertise and help your team members adopt best coding practices.
Building solid business relationships
With 62% of our income coming from the customers that have been with us for 2+ years, we know the value of long-term cooperation. We are ready to stay with you as a tech partner for as long as you need and offer flexible SLAs.
Success Stories by ScienceSoft
Cloud Application Code Review and Pentesting for an Award-Winning IT Company
ScienceSoft’s security testers performed automated source code review with IBM Application Security on Cloud, while our solution architect conducted a manual source code review. The combination of manual and automated checks allowed the team to get an in-depth understanding of the critical source code issues that could compromise the app’s functionality and lead to data leakage.
Comprehensive Quality Assessment of a Patient Portal for a US Healthcare Service Provider
As part of the quality assessment of a patient portal, ScienceSoft’s team reviewed its source code to evaluate its security, testability, consistency, and logical structure. They detected multiple severe errors in the code and provided remediation guidance.
Code Audit for a Windows Application and an iOS App
ScienceSoft's team conducted a detailed manual code review and automated static code analysis to assess the code's readability, correctness, robustness, efficiency, and logical structure, identify code issues, and comment on the code style. After that, they restored the source code documentation and provided build instructions to facilitate the applications' further development.
Quality Assessment and Redesign of a Custom EHR Application for a US Chiropractic Care Provider
ScienceSoft reviewed the application code and verified its compliance with PSR standards. As the code turned out to be ill-structured, overwhelmed with software workarounds, had many redundant lines and contained security vulnerabilities that could lead to PHI disclosure, ScienceSoft’s team recommended redevelopment of the solution and assisted with its redesign.
UX/UI Audit and Code Review of an Android App for Delivery Service Drivers
As a result of application code and architecture audit, ScienceSoft’s senior Android developer revealed multiple issues with deprecated third-party dependencies, memory leaks, and insufficient test coverage. He provided a comprehensive report describing the causes of the issues and the necessary fixes to improve the code and its maintainability.
Automated code review
To offer quick and cost-efficient code review that still yields highly accurate results, we combine automated code scanning with manual validation of the findings.
Security-focused manual code review
Examining the source code line by line, we provide deeper insight into the root cause of your code issues and take into account the security of your architecture and data flow.
All-around code review
To deliver holistic improvements to your code quality and coding practices, we are ready to conduct continuous code review throughout the SDLC (ad hoc and peer review, walkthrough, inspection) or provide one-time/periodic code audit.
All about Software Development
Developers for Hire
Enterprise Software Development