Custom Software Development Services
Software for your business-specific requirements
Custom software development is a way to get superior software due to advanced functionality a custom solution provides. Building on the experience from over 3,300 projects, ScienceSoft offers custom software development services to power business processes of companies in 30+ industries.
We gather and analyze your business needs, conceptualize software to cover them, and help you get the best value from its development.
In web development since 1999, we create all kinds of customer-facing and corporate web-based apps.
Building on the expertise from 300+ completed mobile projects, we can deliver mobile apps for any platform and cover industry specifics (e.g., for telehealth or mCommerce apps).
We develop desktop apps for Mac, Windows and Linux in C++/Qt, .NET and Python programming languages.
We help you organize raw data in the most efficient way for analysis and decision-making.
Developing cloud apps, we ensure a rational use of cloud resources to avoid over- and under-provisioning.
We can assist with both product management and development of SaaS apps.
API development and software integration
We employ API-driven development to seamlessly integrate custom software with corporate and third-party systems and services.
We improve the usability, refactor code and optimize the maintenance cost of legacy software.
Our Clients Talk about Their Experience with ScienceSoft
ScienceSoft’s team undertook the development of our product from scratch and showed deep expertise in the .Net environment and AWS and Azure services. They delivered software in time and with the required quality, (...) adhered to consistent two-way communication and regularly shared detailed project updates and recommendations on how certain functions could be implemented in a more efficient way.
This was my first time working with developers on custom development and the entire experience exceed my expectations. ScienceSoft’s team is responsive, professional, and easy to communicate with. I am extremely satisfied with this project.
Senior Solution Architect
We started working with ScienceSoft when one of our long-standing clients - a multinational FMCG corporation - required custom software to boost its sales worldwide. The project marked the start of successful and mutually beneficial cooperation between Leo Burnett and ScienceSoft. We appreciate their proactive approach and ability to suggest improvements to a prospective solution on both architectural and business levels.
ScienceSoft exceeded all of my expectations, it has been an absolute pleasure to work with them. Not only are they fairly priced but their work is impeccable, the level of detail and the thoughtfulness that was put into the creation of our software is incomparable to what we have worked with in the past. Thank you ScienceSoft I can’t recommend your services enough.
ScienceSoft’s C++ developers have been assisting Supponor in the ongoing development of software for the past 11 years. ScienceSoft’s experience in cross-platform, real-time systems, and computer graphics as well as their robust skills in integrations across a wide range of highly specific hardware helps ensure consistently high performance and wide compatibility of Supponor’s products.
Morten Øien Eriksen
ScienceSoft's experience in agile development ensured smooth project implementation and iterative development of our product – Enonic XP. This enabled us to adjust to the changing market requirements and incorporate features that made us stand out from competition. As a result, Enonic XP has evolved into an easy-to-use and scalable platform, which is crucial for our success.
The Financial Times Includes ScienceSoft USA Corporation in the List of Americas’ Fastest-Growing Companies 2022
ScienceSoft is one of 500 companies with the highest compound annual growth rate in revenue. This achievement is a result of our unfailing commitment to provide high-quality IT services and find best-value solutions to clients' needs.
Software for different business needs
We enable centralized management of day-to-day business activities via a single software system.
We create software for
- Project & task management
- Resource & workload management
- HR & talent management
- Sales & marketing automation
- Risk management
- Compliance management
- Document management
We target business users or individual consumers and take into account audience specifics in user experience design.
Supply chain software is used to automate and coordinate all activities connected with product movement from sourcing/manufacturing to distribution.
Knowledge & productivity
We create a convenient digital environment for employees and provide tools for their performance monitoring.
We enable different levels of analytics depending on your business needs.
We create software ecosystems where physical objects are empowered to transfer information regarding their state or environment into the data center.
We provide universal tools to manage financial data and help incorporate it into a high-level decision-making process.
We provide solutions to maintain ongoing security of the IT environment and business continuity amid emergency events.
Solutions we deliver
- Emergency response, incident management
- Information security
- Secure communicators and messengers
- Secure videoconferencing
- Video surveillance
Software for different management levels
We create software that provides centralized storage for corporate data or manages cross-departmental collaboration and activities. As a rule, such software is accessed by multiple users and has a deliberate hierarchy of user roles and permissions.
We scrutinize the needs of your employees within a required department. With custom software, we uncover functional capabilities unavailable in mass-market or free tools.
Business process management software
We address a specific business workflow and uncover automation possibilities that can be enabled by custom-built software. We often integrate several software systems to ensure the continuity of the business workflow.
Customer: a manufacturer of phyto-based pharmaceuticals
- We built customer registration and customer document (prescriptions, insurance, etc.) management software, integrated them with each other and an ecommerce solution to replace paper-based registration processing.
- We built an order management system and integrated it with the ecommerce solution to centralize order, sales, and supply information.
- We built and integrated a warehouse management tool to automate the control over available medicinal plants.
More Projects in Our Portfolio
We have delivered custom application development services to companies with diverse software needs.
Inventory Management Software
Customer: Herbal medicine manufacturer
Project summary: Built in just 3 weeks, the solution monitors the herbs stock at the stages of harvesting, internal packaging and storing, automatically extracts the info from the electronic scale, and generates PDF barcodes and inventory reports.
Well Log Data Tracking Software
Customer: Provider of information management software for the oil and gas industry
Project summary: The solution allows specifying various parameters of the well development workflow; assigning tasks to team members; tracking the tasks and notifying relevant parties about specific events.
Care Team Coordination Web Application
End customer: 120+ hospitals, assisted living organizations and health systems
Project summary: The solution allows assigning care team members to each patient and notifying the selected members about the specific patient events in line with the RACI matrix.
Trade Marketing Planning Software
Customer: 82,000-staff FMCG company
Project summary: The system consists of two applications – field planning tool and market integrated platform, and allows creating trade marketing plans within a certain geographical area.
Online and Mobile Banking Software
Customer: Asian bank with 3+ mln clients
Project summary: The solution supports money transfers using a unique generated code, split payments, setting up card spending limits, creating virtual cards and more.
Field Audit Mobile App
End customer: European branches of Burger King, KFC, and Friday’s
Project summary: The tool allows assessing the efficiency of each location with customizable checklists on hygiene, health and safety of food, response time and more.
Data Analytics Platform
Customer: US telecom company operating in 18 states
Project summary: The solution helps to measure the engagement, identifies the preferences of a particular user, spots trends in the users’ behavior, predicts user behavior, invoice advertisers, and more.
Employee Performance Management Software
Customer: US telecom provider
Project summary: The system contains questionnaires for employee assessment, forms to set performance goals, and performance improvement plans for managers.
Online Bond Portfolio Management Software
Customer: Financial news agency
Project summary: The solution allows financial and investment professionals to track their activities with bonds and acquire reports.
Migration of Enterprise Management Software
Customer: US provider of medical imaging services
in custom software development
covering a full software development lifecycle
HQ in the US
offices in Europe and the Middle East
ScienceSoft Answers Frequent Questions
Is custom software worth the investment?
At ScienceSoft, we analyze the custom software feasibility on a case-by-case basis. Among key pros and cons of custom development, we usually outline:
- Tailored feature set, no need to pay for out-of-the-box functionality you don’t need.
- Unlimited scalability.
- Lower costs in the long run.
- Can become a unique competitive advantage.
- Needs time to develop (3-6 months, 6-12 months, and more).
- Requires more input from key stakeholders.
- Free ready trial/demo is usually not available prior to investment.
- Accurate price is not readily available.
- Ongoing support is not included.
How much does it cost to develop custom software?
The cost of custom software development depends on your project’s scale and complexity shaped by multiple factors, such as:
- Software type and a number of platforms supported (web, mobile, desktop).
- Number and complexity of software features.
- Custom software design uniqueness and complexity.
- Number and complexity of integrations with other software systems.
- Infrastructure requirements (availability, performance, security, latent capacity and scalability).
You can request free project cost calculation from ScienceSoft if you need to assess planned software.
What cooperation model is better for custom development?
Do we have to understand development methodologies to choose right?
It’s not necessary as your software development vendor will advise on an optimal methodology. However, if you want to know the fundamental difference, here is our brief overview:
- At ScienceSoft, we use Agile (Scrum, Kanban, XP) to enable fast releases and easy changes.
- In case accurately predictable budgets/timelines or adherence to industry regulations are in demand, we employ Waterfall.
- We offer the Iterative model when a customer wants both project flexibility and predictability.
How can we ensure the success of a custom software development project?
Let us share some of the rules ScienceSoft sticks to:
- A dedicated PM for each project who organizes the work for the benefit of transparency and visibility, coordinates communication with your in-house team and third parties, continuously re-evaluates requirements and manages risks.
- Lean UX design.
- Clean and stable code; future-proof architecture (mobile-, integration-, cloud-ready; SOA, microservices-based, etc.).
- Development in a view of undemanding support and smooth evolution.
Our software engineers employ the proven combination of the latest and classic trusted technologies, having the following technology stack as the basis:
Architecture designs and patterns
Traditional 3-layer architecture
Service-oriented architecture (SOA)
Various approaches to enterprise application integration
Delivery of Custom Apps: Step by Step
Custom application development is the process of creating from-scratch solutions to address specific needs of an organization. Here’s how we usually build bespoke software at ScienceSoft:
1. Discovery (if you don’t have requirements specification yet)
Duration: 1 – 3 months.
A dedicated business analyst (BA) or a BA team:
- Explores the specific business needs and opportunities, documents key processes that need to be covered with future software, considers relevant regulatory constraints.
- Elicits, gathers, processes opinions, expectations and concerns of all stakeholders.
- Structures and prioritizes the requirements for future software based on business value.
- Analyzes risks.
2. Project planning
Duration: ~ 2 weeks.
A project manager:
- Provides time and budget estimations.
- Conducts cost-benefit analysis, estimates NVP, ROI.
- Draws up a project roadmap.
- Prepares a risk management strategy.
3. Architecture, UX and UI design
Duration: 2 weeks – 3 months.
- Defines architecture, data flows, and integration points.
- (optionally) Defines software parts of your existing software that can be re-used.
- Conducts UX research, designs wireframes, prototypes, and interface mockups.
4. MVP launch (upon request)
Duration: 4 – 8 months (for the first working version of enterprise software of medium complexity).
5. Development and testing
Duration: 2 weeks – 6 months for each release.
- Ensures safe continuous releases via automated CI/CD pipelines.
- Tests software to verify its proper functioning, performance, and security.
- (wherever reasonable) Employs test automation to decrease testing time and costs.
6. Deployment and setup
- Deploys the software. (optionally) A trial implementation can be conducted for a limited number of users and with technical support. The trial stage usually takes up to 1-3 months.
- Performs knowledge transfer to your internal team/outsourced support team (if any).
- (if needed) Shows your internal users how to use it.
7. After-release maintenance
Duration: 1 – 3 months.
- Answers your and users’ after-release questions, resolve user issues (if any).
- Manages incidents, configuration changes and updates.
8. Continuous application support (on demand)
Upon agreement, we can continue taking care of the enhanced performance, stability and evolution of your application after the warranty support is over.
Share Your Plans for Custom Software Development
As a custom application development company, ScienceSoft can help you plan and implement custom software in line with your business needs. Please outline briefly software you need, and our rep will get back to you shortly to get the conversation going.