Application Modernization Services
Application modernization helps keep legacy apps cost-efficient and relevant to the current business needs. In software development since 1989, ScienceSoft provides legacy application modernization services to upgrade apps safely and with minimal disruption to business processes.
APPLICATIONS WE MODERNIZE
We help to rejuvenate enterprise applications for:
Customer relations management
Supply chain management
Billing and invoicing management
Marketing campaign management
We thoroughly investigate your legacy application code and infrastructure, mine requirements and provide detailed guidance on the improvements that can help you to derive max value from previous investments.
The recent Gartner surveys show that more than a third of modern companies see cloud migration as a top investment priority. Why? Take a look at the cloud adoption statistics:
- ~ 99.9% service availability.
- 45-60% operating costs savings.
- 4x faster launch of new features.
- 30-50% higher development and support staff productivity.
- 94% of businesses experience a significant upgrade in security.
Depending on the application and business needs, ScienceSoft offers one of the three ways to the cloud – application re-hosting, application re-platforming or application rearchitecting.
Check the details about each migration scenario
- Application re-hosting. We move the application from the on-premises or the old cloud infrastructure to the new cloud (AWS or Azure). This is a fast and simple migration option to enable DevOps and ubiquitous access and optimize the usage of hardware resources that also streamlines more advanced modernization in the future. However, re-hosting offers just limited cloud-driven benefits in terms of app resilience, performance and scalability.
- Application re-platforming. We complement moving the application to the cloud with the introduction of small modifications and upgrades in code that will bring more advanced cloud capabilities (improved performance, scaling, fault-tolerance, etc.) to the application.
- Application rearchitecting. We transform the architecture of the application (e.g., split it into web services/microsevices) to make it leverage cloud possibilities to the fullest. The application will adapt to dynamic load and performance requirements, allow for partial updates, technology mix, and shared platform usage.
With a wide pool of legacy skills, we can help you restore and slightly modify code and design of your long-running enterprise applications.
Check out reengineering gains
Application reengineering can grant:
- Web and mobile enablement.
- Improved look&feel.
- Simplified and less costly maintenance and updates.
- DevOps, CI/CD enablement.
- Increased performance and response time.
We revive your legacy applications created on the basis of retiring languages and platforms (such as PowerBuilder, Delphi, VB, C++, COBOL) or aging technologies (outdated Java and .NET versions) with the use of modern programming languages, frameworks and databases.
Across all modernization options, we can pack your apps or their parts into packages isolated from each other at the OS level.
Learn containerization benefits
- Fewer resources required to run.
- Easier scalability.
- Simplified movement across different environments.
- CI/CD practices enablement.
No actual or detailed documentation (functional specification)
To smoothly substitute the legacy application, we mine business rules from existing application code and documentation, investigate code dependencies and component integrations. We readily cooperate with IT departments and other employees as well as third-party vendors, customer's partners, and other people knowledgeable of the application work.
Difficulty to predict modernization results
To keep the modernization process manageable, traceable and visible we split the application into several independent modules to introduce changes fast and incrementally. Also, we recognize the critical role of risk management and implement thorough analysis of the enterprise app basing on technical, business and economic considerations.
We ensure thorough testing coverage and broad monitoring to make sure modernized applications run as expected and don’t disrupt your business processes.
An application’s long freeze up
We can split the application into independent loosely coupled parts (e.g., microservices) for independent updates.