Application Modernization Services
Moving Your Legacy to the Future
With 33 years in software development and hands-on experience in 30+ industries, ScienceSoft transforms legacy apps into future-proof solutions with minimal disruption to business processes.
Application modernization services are aimed to reduce the operational costs of legacy apps, improve their features, performance, and security, and ensure that the upgraded solutions stay scalable and easy to maintain in the long run. Adherent to mature software modernization and risk management practices, ScienceSoft offers end-to-end app modernization services to help businesses drive new value from their legacy solutions.
Components We Modernize
App architectures and tech stack
Types of Apps We Modernize
- Web, mobile and desktop app modernization
- Enterprise application modernization (ERP, CRM, BPA, HCM, SCM, PPM, BI, data warehouses) & SaaS modernization.
- IoT, big data applications, blockchain, AI/ML modernization
- Dynamics 365
- ServiceNow and other platforms
- Cloud-based, on-premise and hybrid servers.
- Computers, laptops, mobile devices and wearables.
We thoroughly investigate your legacy application code and infrastructure, mine requirements and provide detailed guidance on the improvements that can help you to derive max value from previous investments.
Depending on the application and business needs, ScienceSoft offers one of the three ways to the cloud – application re-hosting, application re-platforming or application rearchitecting.
Check the details about each migration scenario
- Application re-hosting. We move the application from the on-premises or the old cloud infrastructure to the new cloud (AWS or Azure). This is a fast and simple migration option to enable DevOps and ubiquitous access and optimize the usage of hardware resources that also streamlines more advanced modernization in the future. However, re-hosting offers just limited cloud-driven benefits in terms of app resilience, performance and scalability.
- Application re-platforming. We complement moving the application to the cloud with the introduction of small modifications and upgrades in code that will bring more advanced cloud capabilities (improved performance, scaling, fault-tolerance, etc.) to the application.
- Application rearchitecting. We transform the architecture of the application (e.g., split it into web services/microservices) to make it leverage cloud possibilities to the fullest. The application will adapt to dynamic load and performance requirements, allow for partial updates, technology mix, and shared platform usage.
With a wide pool of legacy application modernization skills, we can help you restore and slightly modify code and design of your long-running enterprise applications.
Check out reengineering gains
Application reengineering can grant:
- Web and mobile enablement.
- Improved look&feel.
- Simplified and less costly maintenance and updates.
- DevOps, CI/CD enablement.
- Increased performance and response time.
We revive your applications created on the basis of legacy languages and platforms (such as PowerBuilder, Delphi, VB, C++, COBOL) or aging technologies (outdated Java and .NET versions) with the use of modern programming languages, frameworks and databases.
Across all modernization options, we can pack your apps or their parts into packages isolated from each other at the OS level.
Learn containerization benefits
- Fewer resources required to run.
- Easier scalability.
- Simplified movement across different environments.
- CI/CD practices enablement.
- 33 years in software development, 10 years in cloud migration.
- 450+ developers, 50% are seniors/leads with 9-20 years of experience.
- Expert proficiency in app modernization and different migration approaches (rehosting, replatforming, re-architecting, refactoring, and more).
- Experience in 30+ industries, including healthcare, BFSI, manufacturing, retail, logistics, oil & gas, and telecoms.
- Partnerships with Microsoft, AWS, Oracle, IBM, and other global tech leaders.
- Well-established Agile and DevOps cultures, transparent KPIs, mature risk management practices.
- Hands-on knowledge of HIPAA, HITECH, PCI DSS/SSF, GDPR, and other field- and region-specific regulations to ensure full software compliance.
- ISO 9001 and ISO 27001-certified quality and data security management systems.
- ScienceSoft USA Corporation is listed among The Americas’ Fastest-Growing Companies 2022 by Financial Times.
Our Happy Customers
ScienceSoft's .NET developers have been assisting Upstream Works in refactoring a load testing system and bringing further automation to the load testing process. Their DevOps engineers helped us optimize our infrastructure and set up a continuous software delivery process. The team is very professional, well-organized, and is always on top of the finer details. This is exactly what a long-term, harmonious partnership should look like.
We worked with ScienceSoft on the refactoring and modernization of our telehealth web portal and a cross-platform patient application. We are thankful for the meticulous and value-driven approach of ScienceSoft’s team. They created comprehensive project documentation, feature lists, and worked out thorough recommendations to help us improve the stability and performance of our solution.
For the past 6 years, ScienceSoft has been a reliable partner in supporting and maintaining our HR software product. They have fixed hundreds of bugs in the product’s performance since the start of our cooperation back in 2016 and keep modernizing HR on our demand, introducing new features and tweaking existing functionality to let us better cater to our growing client base.
Director of IT
We were looking for a reliable development vendor to help us introduce new functional capabilities to our corporate financial portal. We teamed up with ScienceSoft trusting a solid experience that the company had in the domain of web portal development, and never regretted the decision. ScienceSoft’s team proved to be knowledgeable, thoughtful, and highly motivated. An end-to-end project was accomplished within 7 months, and the result is perfectly in line with our expectations and requirements.
ScienceSoft has been vital to our company’s growth in ecommerce over the last 3 years. We rely on the team for a variety of Magento support tasks, and they always deal with our problems fast. They are a very versatile company in terms of the number of services they provide. With their help, we’ve successfully upgraded our platform, improved our front-end UI, and developed a more efficient internal workflow to support our customers.
The Financial Times Includes ScienceSoft USA Corporation in the List of Americas’ Fastest-Growing Companies 2022
ScienceSoft is one of 500 companies with the highest compound annual growth rate in revenue. This achievement is a result of our unfailing commitment to provide high-quality IT services and find best-value solutions to clients' needs.
to perform UI updates, simple code conversions and cloud migrations
to replatform/refactor an application of medium size and complexity
for re-engineering and refactoring of large enterprise-wide systems
The total cost of application modernization can range from $10,000–$15,000 for a UI upgrade or rehosting of a small app to $50,000–$250,000 for a substantial modernization of a medium/large app. If extensive re-engineering, deep recoding, or implementation of advanced techs (e.g., big data, AI/ML) is required, the cost may reach $500,000+ for a large application.
Among the key cost factors that influence the price of app modernization are:
- The complexity of applications and their dependencies.
- The volume of data to transfer.
- The life span of the application and its cloud migration readiness; the scope of infrastructure, code and configuration changes required.
- The extent of modernization automation and the cost of the relevant software licenses (e.g., code conversion tools).
- The required testing efforts.
Need Expert Help to Estimate Your App Modernization Costs?
ScienceSoft’s software architects and business analysts are ready to calculate your app modernization project costs.
Is it possible to modernize a legacy app with no detailed documentation (functional specifications)?
Sure. In this case, ScienceSoft will mine the business rules from the existing application code and documentation, investigate code dependencies and component integrations. Plus, we are ready to cooperate with your in-house IT team, third-party vendors, and other parties knowledgeable of the application work to speed up the process.
How can I be sure that the modernized app will bring the expected results instead of only wasting the company’s time and resources?
At ScienceSoft, we rely on robust risk management practices and start with an in-depth assessment of your legacy system, focusing on technical, business, and economic considerations. Before starting any project, we prepare a comprehensive feasibility study report with estimated gains and risk analysis to help you make a well-informed decision on the legacy app’s future. Plus, to make app modernization as transparent and manageable as possible, our software engineers split legacy apps into several independent modules so that they can introduce the required changes quickly and incrementally.
Can we avoid operational downtime during app modernization?
At ScienceSoft, we conduct thorough testing and continuous monitoring of the modernized app modules to make sure they run as expected and don’t disrupt your business processes.
Is it possible to avoid long freeze-up of the apps during modernization?
Yes. For this, we split applications into several independent loosely coupled parts (e.g., microservices) to introduce the required changes fast and incrementally.
Our Technological Expertise
With 700+ experienced IT professionals on board, ScienceSoft is ready to modernize your app using the following techs:
Architecture designs and patterns
Traditional 3-layer architecture
Service-oriented architecture (SOA)
Various approaches to enterprise application integration
Application Modernization Benefits
The businesses that entrusted their app modernization projects to ScienceSoft enjoy:
Better user experience
due to upgraded UX/UI design, improved app performance, and new highly requested features.
State-of-the art security
due to introducing secure software design and coding best practices, expert security testing, and built-in regulatory compliance.
Lower maintenance costs
due to the reduced IT support team workload and wide cloud optimization opportunities.
Streamlined business processes and improved employee productivity
due to workflow automation and implementation of advanced techs.
Increased app availability & scalability
due to optimized software design and infinite cloud resources (for cloud migration).
Ease of further app evolution
due to the clear software documentation, flexible architecture (e.g., SOA/microservices-based), and reusable code.
For cloud application migrations
ScienceSoft’s CTO with 20+ years of experience
When businesses come to us for legacy app modernization, we often recommend them to consider cloud migration as a part of the project. At this point, moving to the cloud is virtually always the most rational thing to do: you reduce the operational costs by up to 60%, achieve 99.9% app availability, and gain access to the cloud-dependent techs such as AI automation and data science. To make cloud migration fast and secure, ScienceSoft’s team divides legacy software into manageable parts and ensures gradual transition from one stable state to the next one. We also offer our clients to start off with a pilot migration: it helps assess the viability of the chosen migration approach and make the required tweaks cost-efficiently and risk-free.
Don’t Let Your Legacy Keep You in the Past
Make it a driver of your future success with ScienceSoft. Schedule a meeting with our experts to discuss your unique needs in detail and design a tailored modernization strategy that will not disrupt your vital business operations.