Corporate Learning Management System: Features, Benefits and Platforms
Having 7-year experience in implementing learning management systems, ScienceSoft offers consultancy and end-to-end implementation of corporate LMS.
A corporate learning management system is designed to help companies deliver tailored training to their employees, customers, and partners. 83% of organizations already use LMS for corporate training, and the global corporate eLearning market is expected to reach $50 billion by 2026.
A robust corporate LMS is usually characterized by multi-tenancy, mobile access and custom branding and offers such functionality as learning content creation, personalized learning paths, learning performance tracking, certification management, and more. For max effectiveness, corporate LMS software should integrate with CRM, HRMS, BI, ecommerce, collaboration software, and more. LMS implementation costs range from $90,000 to $300,000+ depending on the project scope.
Selecting and prioritizing LMS features can be challenging. Having developed eLearning software for companies with varying needs, we can advise on must-have features that will form the basis of a robust LMS solution.
Learning content management
- Multi-type (text, images, video, audio, animation, AR/VR/MR) and multi-format (Word, PowerPoint, PDF, HTML, etc.) content.
- Content authoring tools.
- Content embedding from external sources (e.g., YouTube, Vimeo, Wistia).
- Automated indexing and metadata creation.
- Advanced search of learning content based on titles, metadata, and parts of text.
- Enterprise search with filtering and ranking search results.
- Support of eLearning technical standards (SCORM, AICC, xAPI).
- AI-based recommendations to learning administrators and instructors on best ways to present and curate learning content.
- Creating personalized learning paths for learners (for the L&D team).
- Assigning training to employees (for managers and the L&D team).
- Self-enrollment of employees, customers and partners in training.
- Automated AI-based recommendations of learning content to employees based on their learning history and current job roles.
- Tracking employee training activities by managers and the L&D team on group and individual level.
- Scheduling of learning events (e.g., training sessions, certification) by the L&D team.
- Alerts and notifications to learners (e.g., course completion, upcoming deadlines).
- Chatbots to guide users through learning process (e.g., suggesting a course to take next).
Learning assessment, analytics and reporting
- Learning performance assessment via quizzes and tests.
- Customizable reports for employees and the L&D team (course status, learners’ progress, time spent on learning, etc.).
- Dashboards for managers and the L&D team (LMS usage, learners’ performance and satisfaction).
- AI-based analysis to predict potential learning issues (e.g., low learners’ performance and engagement).
- Automated reminders about expiry of learners’ certifications to the L&D team and learners.
- Tests to achieve certification of course completion.
- Automated creation and delivery of electronic certificates to learners after they pass a test.
- A searchable database of learners’ competencies and skills for the learning administration staff, HR teams, etc.
- Tracking learners’ competency gaps for the learning administration staff, HR teams, and managers.
- Skill gap analysis based on employee surveys to define strengths and improvement opportunties.
- Learners’ personal pages containing all learning-related information: skills, certificates, completed courses, scores, etc.
- Social communication tools for learners (discussion boards, chats, forums).
- Blogs and wikis.
- Learning content ranking and commenting for learners.
- Polls and surveys to collect learners’ feedback on the learning process and measure their satisfaction.
- Achievement points.
- Badges and rewards for completing training objectives, completing a course or passing a test.
- Mini-games simulating real-life scenarios.
- Interactive videos, etc.
Security and compliance management
- Data encryption.
- Multi-factor authentication.
- Access control.
- Audit trail.
- eLearning data backups.
- Compliance with government and industry-specific regulations (e.g., GDPR, SOX, GLBA, HIPAA).
- Auditable reports on learners’ compliance with relevant internal policies and procedures (e.g., IT security, workplace health and safety).
Extended enterprise LMS
- Unlimited number of learners and multi-device LMS access.
- Multi-tenancy (sub-portals for employees and non-employees like distribution partners, service technicians, customers with their own admins, branding and authentication).
- Single sign-on (e.g., with an intranet, a customer portal)
- Localization support.
ScienceSoft will smoothly integrate your corporate LMS with other digital tools used by your employees (e.g., CRM, BI, ecommerce software) to streamline business processes, allow you to make the most of your LMS solution and increase its ROI.
As an experienced LMS consultant, ScienceSoft knows how to make the most of corporate LMS. Below, we've outlined the key factors, which if covered, help maximize corporate LMS ROI.
Scalability to support changing and growing learning needs of a large organization with thousands of employees and other members of an enterprise’s learning network like customers and partners.
Intuitive UI to ensure simple and convenient LMS use by learners and management by administrators.
24/7 availability to enable learners to access LMS at any time and any place (including on-the-job training) using any device, including offline mobile access.
Support of video conferencing tools to arrange online training and live events as well as record video lessons to create courses.
Support of multimedia (e.g., video, animation, graphics) and advanced technology (e.g., AI, AR, VR) to bring learners personalized, engaging and impactful learning experiences.
Gamification to encourage users to succeed in learning.
Robust reporting to collect various metrics from learners’ performance to engagement and visualize them via charts and graphs, which creates full visibility into corporate training.
Strong data security to prevent unauthorized access, modification and deletion of courses, reports, and learners’ records.
Compliance with eLearning technical standards like SCORM and xAPI to ensure LMS compatibility with third-party eLearning software and learning content.
The implementation costs of a corporate LMS solution range from $90,000 to $300,000+ depending on software complexity, the number of users and their locations, multilingual support, historical eLearning data migration, the scope of integrations, use of AI and immersive technologies, and more.
Key financial outcomes
Corporate LMS can bring diverse benefits to a business due to improving employee knowledge, skills, and policy awareness and educating partners and customers on products or services via personalized and interactive training:
- +30–60% employee productivity.
- -40-60% training time as compared to traditional training methods.
- +25-60% knowledge retention.
- +20% employee engagement.
- Up to 92% employee retention.
- +200% company income per employee as compared to companies that don’t offer corporate training.
- Reduced customer support costs.
- Increased customer onboarding.
- Improved engagement with a company’s products or services.
- Increased customer retention.
- Higher Net Promoter Score.
- Reduced partner support costs.
- Increased sales.
- Increased partners’ engagement and retention.
Corporate LMS implementation can show the following economic impact:
0.1 - 0.9 years
120 - 430%
With multiple LMS offers on the market, choosing a best-fitting one is always difficult. To facilitate the task, we leverage our ample experience in LMS solutions and explain what you need to consider before making a final decision:
- To increase the LMS ROI, make sure you have a solid training strategy including approaches for different user groups and learning materials in place.
- Consider the skills of your L&D team and choose an LMS that will help them utilize their experience and know-how, for example, by developing trainings that involve game mechanics, complex branching scenarios, VR/AR technology, and more.
- Pay attention to the support services that will come with your LMS package. You need to be sure you have 24/7 access to the vendor’s assistance in troubleshooting LMS issues and making the most of your new LMS capabilities.
- Leverage free trials that are offered by most LMSs:
- Test scenarios that your LMS users will surely encounter in the system, for example, upload training materials or try to create your own tests and courses in the LMS editor.
- Pay attention to the LMS interface. Is it easy to understand how to add users or assign content to them? Intuitive LMS interface is a must-have, otherwise, you’ll spend much time mastering the system and training learners to use it.
- Test the LMS under load to check how the LMS handles it. Upload materials of different sizes and formats (e.g., SCORM courses, video lectures) that you expect to use in your LMS.
4.21/5 by Software Advice (Gartner)
Learning content creation and management, automation of learning processes (e.g., enrolling to a course, learning assessment).
Upon request to a vendor. SharePoint subscription plans start at $5 user/month.
4.66/5 by Software Advice (Gartner)
Creating and selling courses, learning assessment management.
- Starter – $59/$79/month (billed yearly/monthly).
- Basic – $129/$159/month (billed yearly/monthly).
- Plus – $249/$329/month (billed yearly/monthly).
- Premium – $429/$529/month (billed yearly/monthly).
4.84/5 by Software Advice (Gartner)
eLearning reporting and analytics (e.g., learning progress, exam results, training history); learner engagement due to rich gamification features.
- Basic – €699/month.
- Essential – €1,249/month.
- Premium – €1,999/month.
- Enterprise – Upon request to a vendor.
Commercial platforms for LMS won’t necessary meet all your business needs. At ScienceSoft, we stick to a personalized approach to each particular customer’s case but our general recommendation is to consider custom LMS development when you need to:
Implement custom branding to nurture a sense of integrity and loyalty in your employees, customers and partners.
Design personalized eLearning scenarios for training specific practical skills (e.g., interviewing candidates, onboarding new hires, communicating with customers, using or promoting your products or services).
Create custom LMS user roles (e.g., Calendar Editor - adding course events to the calendar, Learning Plan Supervisor - creating learning plans for learners).
Implement extra-level security (e.g., AI-driven security) to adhere to compliance regulations like GDPR or HIPAA.
Corporate LMS consulting
- Analyzing your company’s learning needs and the audience (employees, partners, customers, etc.) of your future LMS solution.
- Defining technical requirements for corporate LMS.
- Choosing an optimal set of features and a tech stack for the project.
- Designing LMS architecture.
- Defining key LMS integrations (e.g., CRM, HRMS, BI, ecommerce, collaboration software).
- Advising on UX and branded UI of corporate LMS.
- Elaborating on a project plan and an LMS user adoption strategy.
Corporate LMS implementation
- Corporate LMS implementation consulting.
- LMS project planning.
- LMS architecture, UX and UI design.
- Web and mobile LMS development.
- Integration with CRM, HRMS, BI, ecommerce, collaboration software, etc.
- Quality assurance and user training.
- Continuous LMS support and evolution.
ScienceSoft is a global IT consulting and software development company headquartered in McKinney, Texas. We offer LMS advisory, implementation, evolution and support services to bring effective training to enterprise employees, customers, and partners. Being ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 certified, we guarantee high-quality IT services and the security of our customers’ data. If you are interested in corporate training software, check our LMS consulting offer.