Behind the Scenes: Security Management at ScienceSoft
With cybersecurity being one of our corporate priorities, ScienceSoft has been investing heavily in a mature information security management system compliant with ISO 27001 and sustainable security culture. Due to comprehensive policies, well-implemented processes, advanced technology, and skilled professionals, we ensure the reliable protection of our and our customers’ data.
in IT services without security breaches overshadowing our history
customers have entrusted their data to us, including global brands such as Deloitte, Walmart, eBay, Nestle, NASA JPL, Viber, Leo Burnett, M&T Bank, T-Mobile.
Field-tested security knowledge. In cybersecurity services since 2003 and with 200+ successfully completed projects in the domain, we know how to handle all types of cyber threats, including advanced persistent ones.
Evergreen security policies and continuous improvement of the information security management system. Our ISO 27001-certified internal auditors regularly review and improve the security policies and processes, while our security testing team checks our software and IT infrastructure to eliminate potential vulnerabilities. This is how we fully cover our and our clients' security needs and stay protected against evolving and newly appearing threats.
Effective security organization. Our security program clearly defines roles and responsibilities for the employees involved in managing security. It also enables us to adequately implement and maintain information security practices within our company and apply them when accessing our clients' data or IT assets.
Compliance. We meet legal and contractual requirements we are subject to: e.g., ISO 14971:2019 – a standard of risk management for medical devices, including SaMD. Having hands-on experience with HIPAA, PCI DSS/SSF, FISMA, SOC 2, and other security standards and regulations, we are ready to work according to the compliance requirements applicable to our customers.
Secure IT asset management
- Full visibility: keeping a regularly updated inventory of all IT assets we handle, including our clients' data and IT infrastructure components we access during a project.
- Prioritization: classifying IT assets according to their confidentiality and business criticality.
- Risk-based approach: Evaluating security risks for the IT assets to define and implement the optimal protection measures.
- Combining protective and detective security tools for utmost IT infrastructure protection. We use on-premises and cloud security solutions and services by reliable vendors like Cisco, F5, IBM, etc. They include firewalls with IDS/IPS functionality, an endpoint protection system for local and remote workers, an email protection solution, WAF, DLP, SIEM systems.
- Device management. Our corporate devices are properly secured and regularly checked by our security engineers. We have strict BYOD and MDM policies that ensure the safe use of employee-owned devices within the corporate IT environment.
- Physical security of our premises is ensured by video surveillance, access control systems, alarms, security guards on board, and other measures.
- Strict controls for internal and remote access: our employees get access to corporate systems and project assets strictly according to their roles. Also, we use multi-factor authentication, advanced endpoint protection solution, secure VPN, etc.
- Strong encryption algorithms and secure communication channels to guarantee the security of data at rest and in transit.
- A dedicated team for continuous IT infrastructure monitoring and incident response.
- "Security is everyone's responsibility" mindset: our employees understand their roles in security management, while the executives empower them with the necessary knowledge, policies, and tools.
- Comprehensive and consistent security awareness training: from onboarding, our employees are continuously educated on the corporate security policies, potential cyber threats, as well as on how to act in case of potential incidents, according to their nature and severity.
- Promoting the reduction of digital footprint among our employees.
- Regular check-ups of employees' cyber resilience through interviews and social engineering testing.
Best Practices Behind ScienceSoft's Security Management
Having implemented 114 security controls prescribed by the standard, we systematically protect our clients’ information.
NIST Cybersecurity Framework
The framework serves as the foundation for our well-rounded security program ensuring efficient cybersecurity risk management and reliable protection of IT assets.
The critical security controls recommended by the Center of Internet Security and properly implemented by our experts make us resilient to pervasive cyber threats.
Guided by expert-vetted best practices, we ensure secure configurations of our applications, networks, and cloud infrastructure.
NIST Secure Software Development Framework
We integrate security at all stages of SDLC and deliver software with built-in security.
NIST SP 800-115
Following the guidelines on planning and conducting security assessments, we get accurate results and efficient vulnerability remediation strategies.
OWASP Web Security Testing Guide
Thanks to this comprehensive guide, we are equipped with the optimal techniques, methods, and tools for checking the security of web applications and services.
When we embark on development, support, testing, and other projects, our customers' cybersecurity becomes our highest-priority concern. For each project, we have a charter describing security management procedures tailored to the client's business specifics, security and compliance requirements. Our certified internal auditors are ready to check how well our security management processes work during the project. As for specific measures we apply to secure customers’ IT resources we access, they may include:
Securing project environment
- Enterprise-level VPN tunnels to protect permanent interconnection between our and our clients' infrastructures.
- Secure corporate devices, including the ones with encrypted disks.
- Secure virtual machines.
- A separate secure code repository for each project.
- The physical presence of our employees in a secure, controlled environment.
- A custom project environment: e.g., an isolated network infrastructure, dedicated physical servers, dedicated rooms for the project team.
Preventing unauthorized access to our customers’ data and IT systems
- Access to project data only for authorized employees strictly according to their roles.
- All the passwords granted by the client to access its systems are stored in the client's password storage; passwords to access the client's password storage are in ScienceSoft's secure password storage.
- Multi-factor authentication.
Evaluating and improving the security of the customers’ apps and IT infrastructure components within the project scope
- Security-focused code review/audit.
- Vulnerability assessment.
- Black/gray/white box penetration testing.
- Social engineering testing.
- Security audit.
- Compliance assessment.