Application Security Consulting
Secure Software Planning, Development and Operation
With 34 years in software development and 20 years in cybersecurity, ScienceSoft helps enterprises and software vendors ensure full security of their apps and establish secure development practices.
Application security consulting provides actionable guidance on secure software development, deployment, and operation. It may cover:
- Planning the security controls for a future app.
- Incorporating mature security practices in the development process.
- Assessing and improving the security and compliance of already existing apps.
The Scope of Our Software Security Consulting Service
Guided by best software security practices and standards, such as OWASP Application Security Verification Standard, OWASP Security Testing Guide, NIST SP 800-218, PCI SSF, we help enterprises and software product companies ensure the security of their applications at any stage of their lifecycle.
For operating apps
- Application vulnerability scanning and penetration testing.
- Analyzing the detected security gaps and classifying them by their criticality.
- Defining and prioritizing corrective measures to remediate the vulnerabilities.
- Assessing the application security controls against the relevant security standards and regulations (e.g., HIPAA, PCI DSS/SSF, GDPR).
- Compliance gaps analysis.
- Providing actionable guidance on how to achieve compliance.
For apps being planned or developed
Eliciting security requirements
- Analyzing the app’s risk profile and defining applicable security standards (HIPAA, PCI DSS/SSF, GDPR, etc.)
- Documenting the relevant security requirements for the app (e.g., authorization, integrity, non-repudiation, privacy requirements, etc.).
Establishing secure development environment
- Reviewing the existing secure development policies and improving them to integrate DevSecOps principles.
- Establishing secure development infrastructure: applying multi-factor authentication, network segmentation, zero-trust access to code repositories, etc.
Code review throughout SDLC
- Integrating automated security testing tools to review open-source and custom code.
- Conducting language-specific, checklist-based code reviews to detect vulnerabilities that can’t be identified by automated tools.
- Establishing regular code dependency reviews.
Ensure All-Around Security of Your App with ScienceSoft
To complement our consulting services, ScienceSoft’s security experts are ready to:
- Planning, assessing, and improving fundamental security controls.
- Installing the latest security patches for platform-based apps.
- Performing API security testing.
Incorporating best security practices advised by mobile OS providers: for iOS and for Android.
- Helping deploy and configure desktop app security controls for different operating systems: Microsoft Defender Application Control (MDAC) for Windows or Security Enhanced Linux (SELinux) for Linux.
- Enabling client-side data encryption to ensure the security of data as it's transferred to the cloud storage.
- Configuring identity and access management.
- Configuring real-time log management and analysis.
- Setting up secure data transmission between IoT devices and data processing systems.
Secure architecture design.
Detailed application requirements with a specific focus on security controls.
Application compliance specifications.
Security assessment report with a list of application vulnerabilities, prioritized by their criticality, and recommended corrective measures.
Application security and compliance risk report and a risk mitigation plan.
- Since 1989 in IT and software development.
- Since 2003 in information security, a solid portfolio of cybersecurity projects.
- Long-term cooperation in cybersecurity with IBM, NASA, RBC Royal Bank, and more of our hallmark customers.
- ISO 27001 certification to confirm our expertise in information security management.
- A top HIPAA consulting provider in 2022, according to Atlantic.net.
- Recognized as Top Penetration Testing Company by Clutch.
- For the second straight year, ScienceSoft USA Corporation is listed among The Americas’ Fastest-Growing Companies by the Financial Times.
Our Customers Say
Prof. Dr. Department of Biomedical Science
ScienceSoft provided an excellent service in:
- code assessment of our existing application;
- consulting on best practices and standards in healthcare and life science software development;
- research on medical devices (functionality, safety classes, registration, etc.);
- preparation activities: architecture and verification planning, SDLC and risk management processes.
They bring deep knowledge of IT technologies in accordance with ISO13485 and IEC62304 standards.
Throughout security testing activities, ScienceSoft’s cybersecurity team proved to be result-oriented and attentive to detail. The team responded quickly and produced useful reports which were easy to understand and implement if required.
When the testing activities were completed, ScienceSoft provided us with the recommendations for improving our application's security level. Thanks to ScienceSoft’s efforts, we were able to ensure a higher level of protection of our cloud application and the sensitive customer data stored in it.
ScienceSoft's team of security engineers provided the full package of penetration testing services for our web application. They performed penetration testing for multiple layers of our web application's security, providing useful reports and detailed recommendations on remediation.
Thanks to ScienceSoft's high-quality services, we were able to locate and neutralize vulnerabilities and ensure the security of our customers' personal data, as well as protect our services from potential attacks.
We were under some time pressure to get penetration testing performed as quickly as possible. When I reached out ScienceSoft, they were immediately responsive to my inquiry, they provided a very competitive quote quickly, and they were able to schedule the testing shortly after our acceptance of the quote.
ScienceSoft’s security testing team performed exceptionally well and gave us confidence that our application posed no serious vulnerabilities.
Disjointed security management when several people or outsourced teams are responsible for different corporate apps.
ScienceSoft can take over the security management of all your apps, following an individual approach to each app with consideration of its specific tech stack, architecture, database, etc.
Lack of security mindset in a development team: the goal is to deliver a functioning app, while security is an afterthought.
A secure development infrastructure and a DevSecOps roadmap to incorporate security into all SDLC stages.
Lack of security awareness or relevant experience in a development team.
Training on best security practices + clearly documented security instructions and guidelines for the dev team.
High cost of maintaining full-time cybersecurity staff.
Fully remote outsourced consulting on application security planning, assessment, or remediation with an easily scalable team of experienced security professionals.
Lack of control over employee-related application security risks.
Secure VPN installation, implementation of strong authentication mechanisms, security assessment of remote work, assistance in employee security training.
Application Security Consulting: Success Stories by ScienceSoft
Cloud Application Code Review and Pentesting for an Award-Winning IT Company
ScienceSoft performed penetration testing and source code review of a cloud-based application for tax returns for a European developer of tax, accounting, and practice management software products.
Secure Telehealth Software Design and Development for Primary Care Practices
As part of telehealth software development carried out by ScienceSoft, our compliance consultant helped create secure software design to ensure the app’s compliance with HIPAA and establish reliable and secure medical data exchange using standards like HL7, FHIR.
Web Application Security Assessment for a European Bank
ScienceSoft performed 10 different penetration tests of web applications for a European bank and provided a list of measures to fortify application security and ensure customer data protection according to PCI DSS.
Secure Redesign of a Custom EHR Application for a US Chiropractic Care Provider
As part of comprehensive software redesign, ScienceSoft delivered detailed and accurate documentation of security, reliability, backup, and maintenance requirements to ensure the full security and regulatory compliance of the EHR application.
Pentesting of a Supply Chain Management Portal and Mobile Apps for a UK Company
ScienceSoft conducted black box penetration testing for a UK fintech company to assess the security of the Customer’s supply chain management portal and complementing Android and iOS mobile apps.
Secure application design
We analyze the specifics of your future software, including relevant compliance requirements, to help you plan the optimal application security controls.
Secure app development consulting
We help promote DevSecOps approach to incorporate security practices into all stages of the development process.
Application security assessment
We help you detect and fix vulnerabilities in software architecture, code, and integrated IT infrastructure to prevent potential data breaches and ensure full protection against cyber threats.
Why Turn for Application Security Consulting
the average cost of a data breach in 2022
of organizations will experience more than one breach in their lifetime
All about Cybersecurity
IBM QRadar SIEM
IBM QRadar Tools: Deployment & Environment
IBM QRadar Tools: Analytics & Reporting
IBM QRadar Tools: MITRE ATT&CK
Security Information and Event Management
IBM QRadar Tools: Data Integration