Application Migration Services
Benefits, Cost Factors, Hallmark Projects, Service Options
ScienceSoft applies over 10 years of experience in cloud services to plan and perform secure and cost-effective application migration.
The aim of application migration services is helping businesses migrate their apps to the cloud to improve their availability, scalability, and resilience. Among the most common implementation options are the public/private cloud, multi-cloud, and hybrid cloud.
Benefits of Migrating Apps to the Cloud
operating costs savings
faster launch of new application features
Application Migration Services by ScienceSoft
Depending on your business needs, you can either go for end-to-end app migration or choose one or several specific components from ScienceSoft’s offer.
Preparation for app migration
- Analyzing the business needs behind application migration.
- Assessing the app’s/apps’ complexity and migration readiness, creating app dependency graphs.
- Defining the target app architecture and needed modifications.
- Estimating the required cloud storage and computing resources.
- Choosing the optimal cloud provider and implementation methods (public/private cloud, multi-cloud, hybrid model).
Business case delivery
- Assessing feasibility of the app migration project.
- Calculating the expected TCO and ROI.
Migration project planning
- Developing a detailed project plan including the needed resources, timelines, costs, and responsibility matrix (e.g., RACI).
- Outlining a migration schedule and prioritizing the workloads to migrate.
- Preparing a communication plan that establishes reporting channels, frequency of sharing project details, and more.
- Setting KPIs (app availability, response time, latency, etc.).
- Creating a risk management plan and backup strategy to prevent data loss.
Application migration design and app modernization
- Designing the target application’s architecture and deciding on software parts to be either modernized or decommissioned.
- Performing app re-coding/re-architecting.
- Designing CI/CD pipelines for fast and cost-effective app workloads migration.
Cloud infrastructure deployment and app migration
- Configuring the cloud infrastructure.
- Performing pilot app migration to validate the chosen migration approach and refine the plan (if needed).
- Migrating applications to the cloud in iterations to minimize operational downtimes and avoid error propagation.
- Testing the migrated apps.
- Integrating the cloud and on-premises environments to form a hybrid infrastructure, if needed.
Why Choose ScienceSoft for Application Migration
- 34 years in IT and 11 years in cloud migration.
- 15 years in ITSM.
- 750+ experts on board, including cloud consultants, certified cloud architects, DevOps engineers, and more.
- Competence in 31 industries, including manufacturing, BFSI, retail, healthcare, telecommunications, and more.
- Expertise in modernization and migration of applications with complex business logic.
- ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 certifications to ensure the mature quality management and the security of the customers’ data.
Your Questions about Application Migration Answered
Can we avoid long downtimes and business disruptions during app migration?
To minimize operational downtimes, ScienceSoft divides the cloud migration process into manageable parts and is always ready to roll back. We accompany each migration stage with comprehensive testing to avoid business disruptions.
Is it possible to migrate an app with no actual or detailed documentation (functional specifications)?
Yes, in this case, ScienceSoft will analyze the application code, code dependencies, and component integrations. In addition, we readily cooperate with the customer’s IT department, employees, or other parties knowledgeable of the legacy app work.
How can I make sure application migration will produce the expected outcome?
At ScienceSoft, we offer our clients to start the project with a pilot migration. It helps evaluate the viability of the chosen migration approach and make the required tweaks if needed.
What apps are appropriate for pilot migration?
We recommend starting with non-critical or low-complexity apps without high availability requirements.
Is there a quick way to migrate interdependent apps?
To reduce time needed for migration, we usually migrate interdependent apps together. We create ‘migration groups’ based on the analysis of the applications’ business and technical requirements, including dependency details.
Cost Considerations for App Migration
The final cost of app migration can range significantly depending on the project specifics. Below are the key factors that may affect your application migration cost:
Migration of Accounting Software with 35,000+ clients
- In-depth analysis of the legacy business logic in the absence of technical documentation.
- Software re-architecting and implementation of new features (e-payments, automated tax calculation, online subscription service).
- Enablement of cost-effective log monitoring.
UX/UI Design and Cloud Migration of a Training Portal
- Migration of the application’s functional modules to Azure to enhance the overall app performance.
- Redesign of several app screens and gradual implantation of new UX design elements to ensure stable work of the application.
- Comprehensive testing of the modernized app.
- Migration of the outdated Flash front end with 200+ screens to Java (Spring 4 + Hibernate 5).
- Reverse engineering, optimization of algorithms and database queries.
- Reproducing smooth communication with multiple third-party elements.
- Ensured compliance with HL7 standard.
Consulting on Enterprise Apps Migration for a Multi-Industry Corporation
- In-depth assessment of enterprise systems, including CRMs, ERPs, POSs and ecommerce solutions, supply chain management systems, and more.
- Designing integration architecture pattern to connect apps located on-premises and in the cloud.
- 4 application integration scenarios with detailed tech stack recommendations.
- Data security strategy.
Choose Your Application Migration Service Option
ScienceSoft’s experts can help you plan and implement an app migration project of any scope and complexity.
Application migration consulting
- Analysis of business needs behind app migration.
- Business case delivery.
- Choosing optimal cloud and implementation method (public/private cloud, multi-cloud, hybrid).
- Selecting optimal cloud services.
- Project planning, and more.
End-to-end application migration
- Designing the target app architecture.
- App re-coding/re-architecting.
- Migrating apps to the cloud in iterations.
- Testing the migrated apps and the infrastructure.
- Continuous maintenance and support of the migrated apps.
Enterprise-wide cloud adoption
- Assessment of the IT infrastructure and apps-to-migrate.
- Creating and implementing a comprehensive strategy for migration of multiple apps and databases.
- Maintaining and optimizing an enterprise-scale system of cloud solutions.
Approximate Timelines for Application Migration
ScienceSoft moves apps in several iterations to keep the migration process transparent and avoid error propagation. We always respect deadlines and provide seasoned project managers to ensure compliance with the time requirements on each app migration stage. Here are the ballpark timelines for cloud application migration:
A standard iteration for migrating 1–2 workloads of medium complexity
To migrate an app with no complex reengineering or re-architecting
To migrate an app requiring substantial modifications