Top 5 Ecommerce Software Vendors: Market Leaders
ScienceSoft offers ecommerce consulting services to help businesses navigate an ecommerce software market and make an informed technology choice.
Ecommerce software is used to provide the interface of e-solutions and manage back-office ecommerce processes, from uploading product information to processing online payments and orders. E-retailers put ecommerce software at the heart of their technology ecosystems to strengthen their business management and customer experience capabilities.
Functional portfolio designed for B2C sales
Core ecommerce operations
- Shopping cart and checkout.
- In-built payment methods and payment gateway integration.
- Order and return management.
- Sales analytics and reporting.
- Management of multiple webstores from the same admin panel (a detailed guide on an ecommerce multistore).
Product catalog management
- Product catalog supporting different product types.
- Bulk-edit and mass-upload of product information.
- Online merchandising.
- Advanced search tools to increase the relevancy of search results.
- Customizable product attributes.
- Pricing and promotion management.
- Multi-tier pricing for quantity discounting.
Website performance management
- Cloud hosting.
- On-demand website performance scalability.
- Page caching.
- In-built indexers and incremental index updates.
- Performance monitoring tools.
- In-built CDN (Content Delivery Network) for cloud solutions.
Compliance and data safety
- PCI DSS compliance.
- Data encryption.
- Regular security patching.
- Malware scanning tools.
- Role-based admin access.
- Secure payment gateways.
Customer experience management
- Multilingual catalogs.
- Guided search and layered navigation.
- Product visualization tools.
- Subscription-based purchasing.
- Automated tax calculation at the checkout.
- Product rating and customer reviews.
Customer experience personalization
- Customer segmentation.
- Dynamic data-driven product recommendations.
- Personalized promotions.
- Customer profile with order history and saved items.
- Saved shipment and payment details for accelerated checkout.
- Content builder.
- SEO management tools.
- Email marketing.
- Reward and loyalty campaigns.
- Social media integration.
- A/B testing.
Extra features to add for B2B sales
Self-service capabilities for B2B customers
- Account roles and permissions.
- Minimum and maximum product quantity.
- Price quoting and negotiation.
- Requisition lists.
- Bulk ordering and volume-based pricing rules.
- Fast ordering by SKU or product file upload.
B2B customer experience management and personalization
- Customer segmentation.
- Customer-specific catalogs and pricing.
- B2B-oriented payment methods (e.g., payment on account).
- Order splitting capabilities to ship to multiple locations.
Best for: B2C and B2B companies
- Named a Leader in the ecommerce software market by Forrester and Garner.
- Native solutions for advanced order management and business intelligence.
- Starter and Pro plans to cover budgets and business needs of mid-sized and enterprise businesses.
- Strong B2B functionality included in the Pro plan; about 40% of Magento installations are B2B-centered.
- Available in the cloud and on-premises.
- Cost-effective platform customization with about 3,600 commercial extensions for marketing, content management, finance, and more.
Starts at $1,999 a month and depends on gross merchandise volume (GMV). Request pricing for Magento implementation.
Salesforce Commerce Cloud
Best for: B2C and B2B companies
- A trusted expert in digital customer experience management, Salesforce wins the highest ranking in Gartner’s CRM Customer Engagement listing for the 12th consecutive year.
- Forrester ranks Salesforce as a Leader both in B2C and B2B markets.
- Solid platform support from Salesforce, which means reduced customization and maintenance efforts.
- Enables personalized digital customer experience driven by a built-in AI tool.
- Offers all-in-one solutions for a quick ecommerce launch.
- Separate management of online retail and wholesale operations.
Depends on GMV and is calculated individually. Request pricing for Salesforce Commerce implementation.
Best for: B2C companies
- Featured in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Digital Commerce 2020.
- Grows its market share fast and now holds about 23% of the ecommerce market.
- An omnichannel retail package: ecommerce software, a cloud POS and native integrations with online marketplaces (e.g., Amazon) and social media channels (e.g., Instagram).
- Available in 175 countries and 20 languages.
- Vast no-code configuration possibilities for time- and cost-effective ecommerce website implementation.
Depends on an annual revenue volume and starts at $2,000/month + a transaction fee of 0.15% per transaction if a third-party payment processor is used.
Best for: enterprise-level ecommerce
- Holds one of the leading positions on the ecommerce software market according to Forrester and Gartner.
- High scalability for ecommerce solutions due to the microservices-based architecture and API-first development approach.
- Allows for back-end microservices’ integration with any front-end technology of your choice.
- Offers 300+ API endpoints.
- Requires extensive development resources to implement.
Best for: mid-sized businesses
- Offers B2C and B2B ecommerce solutions, both ranked highly by Forrester.
- User-friendly admin interface for fast platform adoption by business users.
- Advocates API-driven development and provides the decoupled back end for headless commerce.
- Native integration to leading marketplaces like Amazon and eBay.
- Easy deployment and responsive customer support according to Gartner Peer Insights reviewers.
- Standard Plan: $29.95/month/unlimited user accounts.
- Plus Plan: $79.95/month/unlimited user accounts.
- Pro Plan: $299.95/month/unlimited user accounts.
- Enterprise Plan: available by request.
Building your ecommerce web store on top of the chosen ecommerce software gives you the benefit of fast and cost-effective market launch. But while you have all the business-critical functionality packed up therein, you shouldn’t discount a possibility to custom-build advanced capabilities. The feasibility of custom ecommerce development is studied for each business case individually, but we can advise you on the areas where we witness the highest ROI.
AI-powered personalization of digital customer experience: website content, product recommendations, email marketing.
Voice-assisted online shopping.
Branded website UI with custom business logic.
AR-powered product catalogs and user manuals.
- Ecommerce software consulting: assistance with technology choice.
- Market entry consulting: target market research and ecommerce solution feasibility study.
- Digital experience consulting: customer digital experience design.
- Business needs analysis and functional design.
- Ecommerce solution infrastructure setup.
- UX and UI design: template-based or custom (based on target audience research).
- No-code configuration of native platform functionality.
- Code customization to cover missing functional capabilities.
- Ecommerce integration with other business systems: ERP, CRM, a marketing automation tool, a customer service automation tool, etc.
Since 1989, ScienceSoft has been a reliable IT development and consulting partner to more than 970 businesses worldwide. In 2003, we started fostering ecommerce competencies and knowledge, and by now, have grown an ecommerce services portfolio to cover all-around ecommerce business needs.