SharePoint CMS: A Сontent Management System to Put Your Digital Content in Order
As a content management system, SharePoint helps organize and manage corporate documents, records, media assets and web content throughout their lifecycle, from creating to archiving.
SharePoint content management software was recognized as a Leader in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Content Services Platforms in 2020 for the fourth consecutive year. Overall, SharePoint is used as CMS, DMS, or intranet by 250,000+ companies worldwide. Today, SharePoint CMS is widely employed for enterprise content management (ECM) due to its out-of-the-box integration with Office 365 productivity and collaboration tools, support of multi-type, multi-format and multi-language content, rich document management capabilities, including real-time collaboration on documents, and strong data security features.
Centralized document repository
Storing documents in various formats, from common ones (.docx, .pdf, .pptx, .zip) to rare file extensions like .odt, .ods, .xlsb, and .ppsx.
Indexing and metadata
Tagging documents based on their content and filled-in metadata (e.g., a document’s title, author, type, modification date) to facilitate their categorizing, archiving, search and retrieval.
Unique identifiers to differentiate each document in SharePoint CMS.
Search by name, metadata and full document text across SharePoint CMS and integrated systems (e.g., ERP, CRM, intranet). Filtering and ranking of search results.
Assigning shared settings for specific types of documents, such as contracts, presentations, manuals, process maps, and specifications.
Creating, tracking, and collaborating on document-related processes (e.g., routing of documents to collect approvals, feedback or signatures) directly from Office applications.
Reusable templates for fast and easy creation of typical documents like letters, contracts, policies, invoices, etc.
Alerts and notifications
Automated sending of notifications (e.g., creation of a new document, update of a document, end of an approval workflow) and alerts (e.g., document approval deadlines, a contract’s expiration) to relevant users.
Real-time collaboration on documents
Editing a document by several users simultaneously.
Media asset management
Media asset libraries
Centralized storage for images, audio and video files based on their metadata and unique IDs
Media content categorization
Media content types offering more metadata features than standard document libraries.
Thumbnail views enable quick browsing of images, audio and video files.
Automatic extraction of metadata for typical image formats (e.g., BMP, JPEG, PNG, TIFF).
Playing videos right from a document folder.
Built-in media players
Playing video and audio files from various sources, e.g., intranets, portals, publishing sites, team sites.
Centralized records repository
Structured and secure storing of records that serve as evidence of business activities, transactions and obligations.
Retention and deletion policies
- Automated retention of a file copy if the file is edited or deleted.
- Automated file deletion after a specified period depending on a company’s internal policies, relevant government or industry-specific compliance regulations (e.g., GDPR, HIPAA, SOX).
Identification and delivery of electronic information that can be used as legal evidence. eDiscovery offers:
- Content search for documents, websites, email messages across laptops, email servers, file servers, and other sources.
- Creating and placing holds on content items to prevent data loss.
- Exporting of content search results (e.g., downloading to a PC).
- Tracking the status of the content under holds and the exported content.
Web content management
Reusable templates for quick and easy creation and publishing of web content (e.g., news, policies, surveys).
Reusable page layouts help maintain branding and navigation consistency throughout the SharePoint environment.
Multi-site and multi-language support
Support of 51 languages and automated translation of web content.
Web content editor
A drag-and-drop content authoring tool (editor) to easily add relevant text, images and links to the structural units of the web page.
Content management workflows
Automated workflows on content approval and publishing, including complex workflows (e.g., non-linear, multistep).
Accessibility of SharePoint CMS on mobile devices.
Security and compliance
- Two-level encryption of data at rest: disk-level BitLocker data encryption and file-level encryption with a unique key for each file.
- Data in transit is protected due to SSL/TLS connection.
Permission-based CMS access to protect sensitive content from unauthorized viewing, modifying, and deletion at any level - from a document to the whole site.
Combination of a password and a code from an email or a text message to enter SharePoint CMS.
Storing document versions to prevent accidental deletion or unwanted changes in content.
Tracking various types of user activity with SharePoint CMS: access time, a user who opens, modifies, downloads, emails or prints out a CMS file.
- Compliance with the majority of government and industry-specific regulations (e.g., GDPR, GLBA, SOX, HIPAA, PCI DSS).
- Compliance with technical standards (e.g., WCAG 2).
SharePoint CMS integrations facilitate the creation of business-specific content (e.g., customer presentations, product descriptions, media materials for a marketing campaign) and ensure content consistency across the enterprise.
- Intranet - to deliver diverse content to a company’s intranet (homepage, team sites, department sites, information pages, etc.), regularly update this content, make it easily searchable, and more.
- CRM - to route personalized content created in SharePoint CMS (e.g., newsfeeds and offerings with personal recommendations and loyal programs) to relevant recipients.
- Ecommerce solution - to publish content about products, structurally organize it, and make it searchable on your site.
- Marketing automation software - to deliver marketing materials and drive marketing campaigns across email, website, social channels, and more.
- Social media - to publish corporate content (news, announcements, publications, etc.) directly on social media.
Custom content templates
Page layouts and navigation
Unique CMS branding
Custom content life cycle workflows (e.g., complex non-linear content approval, publishing)
Enhanced security (e.g., AI-based security capabilities)
With 11 years in CMS development and 15-year experience in SharePoint, ScienceSoft delivers SharePoint CMS solutions that ensure efficient and cost-effective content management.
With SharePoint CMS, you can easily create and manage diverse content for intranets, extranets and portals.
employee productivity due to real-time collaboration on documents, document workflow automation, and integrations with other systems
legal risk due to powerful protection of content from unauthorized access and distribution as well as accidental deletion
content creation and management costs due to the reuse of components, layouts, and templates as well as efficient content search