SharePoint Health Check
Throughout years of operation, your SharePoint environment should keep showing high performance and security level. If your SharePoint solution started to show early signs of troubles, you shouldn’t leave them unaddressed. Even minor issues can become the cause of the deployment’s further stagnation, sluggish business processes and poor adoption.
To help you assess the efficiency of your SharePoint implementation, ScienceSoft comes up with the SharePoint Health Check service. We identify both current and potential issues in the SharePoint infrastructure, architecture, performance and security regardless of your SharePoint deployment size and purpose. We reveal all the pain points to restore the correct operation of your SharePoint solutions, thus maximizing users’ productivity and lowering your IT department’s load.
What is SharePoint Health Check?
Our 13-year SharePoint consulting and development practice allowed us to shape the proprietary SharePoint Health Check methodology. Its goal is to help organizations carry out thorough SharePoint performance monitoring and security audit. The methodology assesses the overall state of a SharePoint deployment and its particular components identifying flaws that affect a solution’s security, stability and performance. Our methodology covers but is not limited to:
When to Go for SharePoint Health Check?
Usually, enterprises face several common issues with their SharePoint environments. Any of these issues can be the right reason for carrying out SharePoint Health Check.
- Poor performance. The increasing amount of SharePoint sites, custom solutions and content can make your solution sluggish, which affects users’ productivity. ScienceSoft is here to conduct SharePoint performance monitoring and help you identify the core cause of troubles.
- Security issues. Misconfigured deployments, incorrectly set permissions and unpatched vulnerabilities are just a few problems that can undermine your solution security. In the course of an in-depth SharePoint security audit, ScienceSoft checks your SharePoint solution from different security angles to reveal both apparent and hidden security flaws and close them as soon as possible to avoid a major impact on your deployment.
- Poor user adoption. Both performance and security issues lead to consequent adoption problems. In close cooperation with end users, business and technical representatives, ScienceSoft analyzes your current solution and elaborates on the feasible tactics to fine-tune or reconfigure it to meet your corporate goals as well as users’ needs and preferences.
- High support costs. Finally, ongoing SharePoint issues require organizations to constantly spend extra money on supporting their solutions’ stability. By taking a proactive approach to solving the identified issues, you not only enhance the overall solution’s efficiency but also cut the cost of fixing problems by your system administrators or third-party service providers.
What Does SharePoint Health Check Include?
We carry out SharePoint farm assessment to reveal performance issues caused by the deployment’s improper architecture or incorrect setup.
- Logical infrastructure sizing and capacity assessment
- Assessment of thresholds and limitations of physical infrastructure
- Farm configuration assessment
- SQL server assessment
- Proxy tier assessment
- SharePoint log analysis
- Authentication and networking assessment
- Assessment of service accounts
- Search configuration assessment
- Backup and recovery assessment
We provide a comprehensive analysis of the overall state of custom applications within your SharePoint solution.
- Examining custom applications’ logs for a defined period of time.
- Analyzing all exceptions generated by custom applications.
- Reviewing pieces of custom code to reveal redundant complexities, errors in particular statements, code mismatches (they often appear after migration to a higher SharePoint version).
During the code review stage, ScienceSoft puts their effort into critical issues, including potential security holes, application crashes and other logic and design errors in the code. Our SharePoint specialists also evaluate custom features that often affect SharePoint performance:
- Event receivers
- Delegate controls
- Master page functionality
- HTTP modules/HTTP handlers/services
- Custom authentication providers
- Custom webparts
- Custom pages
- Custom actions
- Timer Jobs
As a part of SharePoint performance testing, our team checks up your SharePoint solution to reveal possible load issues.
We analyze random SharePoint pages and register their load time. We also inspect applied custom SharePoint design and styles that can affect the load time of critical SharePoint components, such as the homepage or deeply customized sites. We also check up the solution’s load-time in different web browsers, including Google Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Edge and others.
We help you evaluate the overall protection of your SharePoint solution and its parts to ensure that your corporate data is safe.
- Checking up the SharePoint security certificates
- Carrying out SharePoint permissions audit
- Analyzing security configuration of local servers
- Verifying antivirus configuration
- Analyzing enabled authentication mechanisms
- Checking up security updates
We define content that may affect the system’s performance using PowerShell scripts.
- Subsites count
- Items count
- Fields count
- Resource throttling configuration
Among multiple issues that content assessment allows revealing, there can be too large SharePoint lists with an excessive number of items that cause a significant performance decrease. Acting in line with the Microsoft Minimum Recommended Rules, we provide you with tips on a careful restructuring of large document libraries to reach the optimal performance level.
Acting as an end user, our SharePoint experts analyze your solution from the usability point of view.
The analysis includes a complete user journey across the SharePoint solution depending on a user role (an accountant, a marketing specialist, etc.) to access the solution’s logic and ease-of-use. We also analyze the existing SharePoint design and its impact on the solution’s popularity among end users. The assessment can also include a separate dive-in into the available mobile versions of your SharePoint solution or custom SharePoint mobile apps to evaluate their performance, responsive design and enabled features.
What Do We Deliver?
At the end of a SharePoint Health Check, we provide you with the following deliverables:
- A detailed report on the issues to be addressed for a better performance of your SharePoint environment. The document will precisely describe the findings and will focus on every key aspect that may affect SharePoint performance and security, including custom application code, hardware configurations, content and more.
- Practical recommendations on how to fix the identified issues. Apart from enumerating SharePoint problems, we also provide our customers with a well-grounded guidance on how to fix each particular problem to ensure your solution’s vitality in both the short and the long terms.
Additionally, you can turn to ScienceSoft’s SharePoint development team to get their assistance in implementing the provided recommendations in practice.