Penetration Testing Services
Pinpointing Vulnerabilities Before Hackers Find Them
With 20 years in cybersecurity, ScienceSoft offers penetration testing services to detect and help eliminate dangerous vulnerabilities. Equipped with OWASP and NIST best security testing practices, our Certified Ethical Hackers confidently handle apps and networks of any complexity.
Penetration testing services aim to identify security flaws in an IT environment, evaluate their potential impact, and offer remediation guidance. Penetration testing or pen test is imitating the techniques a real-world attacker would use to get hold of a company's data, apps, or IT infrastructure.
What We Test
We unearth security flaws in the architecture, code, and business logic of applications, including those based on blockchain, cloud, AI, AR/VR and other advanced techs.
- Web applications and APIs.
- Mobile applications.
- Desktop applications.
We help prevent modern network security risks, including those related to remote work, cloud migration, IoT devices, and BYOD policy.
- Endpoints: PCs, laptops, mobile devices.
- Networking devices and network management tools.
- Email services.
- Security solutions: firewalls, VPN, IAM, DLP systems, and more.
We reveal security flaws that may enable unauthorized access to sensitive and business-critical data on premises and in the cloud.
- Data storage.
- Data encryption.
- Data in transit.
We identify unsafe user behavior and the lack of knowledge about applicable security and compliance requirements.
- Vendors and partners.
We recommend performing a third-party penetration testing, if:
- Regular security checkups are required by applicable standards and regulations.
- New IT infrastructure components or applications were added.
- Significant upgrades or modifications of your IT infrastructure or applications were made.
- New office locations were established.
- End-user policies were modified.
Penetration Testing Types You Should Consider
To precisely target your security needs, we offer a full range of penetration testing services:
External penetration testing
We detect and exploit weaknesses in internet-facing IT assets such as web applications, APIs, email services, websites, firewalls, etc.
Internal penetration testing
We investigate how intruders who got access to your internal network can compromise your IT environment.
Application pen testing
We perform vulnerability scanning and code review to detect security flaws. After that, we attempt to exploit them to evaluate their potential impact. As a result, we identify, prioritize and help fix all the existing front-end and back-end vulnerabilities.
Our team assesses how well your company can withstand widespread phishing and vishing attacks. We imitate the techniques of psychological manipulation that real-life attackers use to trick people into divulging sensitive information or breaking security rules.
Our cyber security penetration test experts focus on specific compliance requirements applicable to your company, such as GDPR, HIPAA, PCI DSS, SOC 2 and others.
We detect cloud, VPN, and firewall misconfigurations, access control and RDP flaws, and other vulnerabilities that can compromise the security of remote work.
Wireless penetration testing
We explore your corporate Wi-Fi, WLAN, and Bluetooth connections to prevent piggybacking, evil twins attacks, wireless sniffing, unauthorized access to corporate wireless devices, and other real-world threats.
Open-source intelligence (OSINT)
We investigate what info about your company is exposed in publicly available sources and how hackers may use it to launch their attacks.
We perform a series of real-time attacks without informing your IT team and employees about their scenarios and exact duration. This testing type allows for a comprehensive assessment of preventive security controls, detective tools, cybersecurity awareness, and incident response mechanisms.
Not sure what to choose?
Let's discuss your security needs — ScienceSoft's experts will analyze your case and recommend the optimal pentesting type and approach.
Penetration Testing Approaches We Are Proficient In
Value: best for simulating real-world external hacks, faster and cheaper than other techniques.
Conditions: we have strictly limited knowledge of the testing targets, no information on your security policies, software or network specifics and security controls.
Value: combines the depth of exploration with time- and cost-efficiency.
Conditions: we have some information about the testing targets: admin or user credentials, architecture diagrams, etc.
Value: helps reveal maximum external and internal vulnerabilities.
Conditions: we have full access to and complete information about the apps/IT infrastructure components in scope: e.g., source code or architecture documentation, database encryption principles, credentials for different access levels, etc.
3 Steps of a Penetration Test
Pre-attack phase / Planning
- Defining the intruder model (internal or external, enabled rights and privileges).
- Defining goals, source data, scope of work and testing targets.
- Determining the scope of a target environment.
- Developing the testing methodology.
- Defining interaction and communication procedures.
Attack phase / Testing
- Fieldwork, service identification.
- Custom scanning or intrusion tools are developed if needed.
- Identifying vulnerabilities and eliminating false positives.
- Vulnerabilities exploit and gaining unauthorized access.
- Utilization of compromised systems as a springboard for further intrusion.
Post-attack phase / Reporting
- Result analysis and reporting with recommendations for reducing risks.
- Visual demonstration of the damage that can be inflicted to the system by an intruder.
Additionally, we can also eliminate the detected vulnerabilities.
The price of a penetration testing project generally starts from $5K. It may vary greatly, depending on the scope and complexity of the project, in particular:
- Testing type: e.g., red teaming, social engineering testing, an internal pen test.
- Testing approach: white/gray/black box.
- Testing targets: e.g., the number of applications, user roles, API subnets, public-facing IPs or employees to be tested.
- Pentesting team: the number of testers and their qualifications.
How much will penetration testing cost for your project?
Tips on how to reduce the costs of 3rd party penetration testing
- Keep an inventory of your assets and prioritize them. You may want to focus on the data, apps, and IT infrastructure components that are critical to your business, covered by compliance requirements, or that have undergone significant modifications.
- Find a reliable long-term security partner. Some penetration testing providers, including ScienceSoft, offer favorable terms and a reduced price for repeat business and long-term engagements.
- Ask your vendor to provide a tailored cost optimization plan. Penetration testing consultants can outline an optimal testing scope to avoid extra spending. They can explain how to minimize your company's attack surface, thus reducing the pentesting scope.
Vast cybersecurity experience
- 20 years in IT security, Certified Ethical Hackers on board.
- A solid portfolio of successful projects for 10+ industries, including BFSI, healthcare, manufacturing, and retail.
- Hands-on experience with HIPAA, PCI DSS/SSF, GDPR, SOC 2, NIST SP 800-53, GLBA and other security standards and regulations.
Dedication to quality
- Adherence to the best security testing practices outlined by NIST SP 800-115, OWASP Web Security Testing Guide, and other frameworks.
- ISO 9001-certified mature quality management to guarantee smooth cooperation and value-driving results.
- 100% security of our customers' data ensured by ISO 27001-certified security management system.
Expertise in advanced techs
- 12 years in IoT development.
- 11 years in cloud services; a Microsoft Solutions Partner, an AWS Select Tier Services Partner.
- Dedicated blockchain, AR/VR, AI/ML consulting and development services.
Acknowledged business excellence
- Recognized among the Top Penetration Testing Companies by Clutch.
- A leading outsourcing provider according to IAOP.
For the second straight year, ScienceSoft USA Corporation is listed among The Americas’ Fastest-Growing Companies by the Financial Times.
Penetration Testing Services: Success Stories by ScienceSoft
IT Infrastructure Security Testing for an Asian Retail Bank
ScienceSoft's team performed security assessment for a large bank with around 550 branches and 2M+ clients. It included internal and external network pen testing, security risk assessment of the client digital channels, and phishing attack simulation. Based on the assessment results, our security experts provided a detailed remediation plan to eliminate the discovered vulnerabilities.
API Penetration Testing for a European Bank
ScienceSoft conducted black box and white box API pen tests for a bank with $400M+ in assets. The bank provides services online and through 100 physical branches. Our experts delivered a comprehensive report on how to improve API security to ensure data safety.
Network Pentesting and a Phishing Campaign for a US Healthcare Provider
ScienceSoft's pentesters simulated network and social engineering attacks to check the cyber resilience of a large US healthcare provider with 10+ facilities. They discovered several critical vulnerabilities in the internal network and advised on the optimal corrective measures.
Penetration Testing for Reconice to Improve ePHI Security
ScienceSoft checked the IT infrastructure of a speech recognition software provider for dangerous vulnerabilities. Our team also conducted black box pentesting of its solution used by 500+ healthcare organizations to ensure ePHI remained uncompromised.
AWS Cloud Security Assessment and Recurring Infrastructure Pentesting for a US Insurance Company
Within long-term cooperation, ScienceSoft performed two annual penetration tests of the IT infrastructure and AWS cloud security assessment. Following ScienceSoft's recommendations, the Customer managed to achieve and maintain the high security level of its IT environment.
Mobile Device Pentesting for a Healthcare Technology and Research Company with 80K Employees
ScienceSoft pentesters checked the security of mobile devices used by employees of a multinational company for working purposes. Our team revealed several critical issues, including outdated software with known vulnerabilities, broken access control and poorly secured Wi-Fi. Thanks to ScienceSoft's remediation guidance, the Customer could ensure PHI protection in line with HIPAA requirements.
IT Infrastructure Pentesting and a Phishing Campaign for an EU Energy Company
ScienceSoft performed website penetration testing and checked 2 web servers, 4 public-facing IPs, 20 internal subnetworks, and 14 Wi-Fi access points. Additionally, ScienceSoft's team simulated phishing attacks targeting 60 employee email addresses.
Web Application Penetration Test for a Tokenization Services Provider
ScienceSoft performed black box penetration testing of two newly created web applications to find out if they contained any dangerous vulnerabilitites that hackers could exploit to get hold of users’ digital assets, steal or modify sensitive personal and financial data, or cause the web applications’ failure.
Join Our Happy Customers
Chief Product Officer
We commissioned ScienceSoft to carry out penetration testing of our external and internal infrastructure, including penetration testing of a communication web app. During the project, ScienceSoft’s team found 18 vulnerabilities, delivered a detailed report on all the detected issues, and provided recommendations on how to improve the security of the tested objects.
Throughout security testing activities, ScienceSoft’s cybersecurity team proved to be result-oriented and attentive to detail. When the testing activities were completed, ScienceSoft provided us with the recommendations for improving our application's security level. Thanks to ScienceSoft’s quality testing efforts, we were able to ensure a higher level of protection of our cloud application and the sensitive customer data stored in it.
QA Manager, ATR
We are satisfied with the black-box penetration testing services provided by ScienceSoft and with their team’s attention to detail and proactive approach to collaboration. They were also very responsive and eagerly suggested security enhancements. We highly recommend ScienceSoft as a reliable cybersecurity partner.
Manager, Development Operations
Scout, a Workday company
We had used ScienceSoft as our PenTest company. Experience that we had was very good. ScienceSoft had accomplished pentest in a very professional manner and on time. Personally I had only positive impressions from working with the team. Scout is looking forward to work with ScienceSoft in the future.
BS, Documentation and Compliance Specialist
ScienceSoft provided us with the proper documentation agreed upon during the initial stages. They had quick turnaround times for pentesting, less than 2 weeks! ScienceSoft Sales team works with you until all services are complete. I highly recommend ScienceSoft.
Site Reliability Engineer
Silo is an ERP for agribusiness, specializing in produce wholesalers and retailers. As we expand our offerings we need to be sure we have a solid security foundation, and ScienceSoft's penetration testing services were a great fit. They discovered a number of vulnerabilities, compiled them into a straight-forward report which was easy for our management team to understand, and suggested remediations along with a practical risk assessment.
Raychelle Harris, PhD
TRUE+WAY ASL was asked by an educational institution to implement a vulnerability scan/test of the TRUE+WAY ASL web app and course files that we send to educational institutions. ScienceSoft’s team performed black box penetration testing in compliance with OWASP and NIST methodologies with a rapid turnaround with their report. Thanks to their experienced IT security team, we are confident that the TRUE+WAY ASL course files and platform is secure.
Joel B. Cohen
USPlate Glass Insurance Company
We hired ScienceSoft’s cybersecurity team to validate the security of our corporate networks and our cloud AWS services. They were very responsive and helpful in planning of penetration tests. We were very satisfied with the professional, timely, and friendly service and we greatly appreciate their help in securing our networks.
Penetration Testing Benefits
Complete view of vulnerabilities
We provide detailed information on real security threats, help to identify the most critical and less significant vulnerabilities along with false positives, so that the Customer can prioritize remediation, apply needed security patches and allocate security resources.
Avoiding the cost of system/network downtime
ScienceSoft’s team provides specific guidance and recommendations to avoid financial pitfalls by identifying and addressing risks before attacks or security breaches occur.
At ScienceSoft, we combine advanced penetration testing tools with manual exploration. As a result, our clients can expect a flexible and cost-efficient service, as well as fast and comprehensive results.
Tried and True Tools Our Pentesters Use
For each specific pentesting project, we carefully choose the optimal security tools to ensure fast results and all-around vulnerability exploration.
How Penetration Testing Helps Prevent Major Cyber Threats
Organizations must take comprehensive and consistent measures to protect themselves from ever-evolving cyber attacks. Penetration testing is a great way to significantly reduce the risk of security breaches.
- Sending phishing emails with malicious links and attachments to evaluate the risks of ransomware infection due to human error.
- Checking your apps and IT infrastructure for vulnerabilities that allow infection with malicious files.
- Checking if your email security tools can recognize and stop suspicious emails.
- Running different phishing attack scenarios to check the cyber resilience of your employees and C-suite.
Remote work security risks
- Identifying VPN and RDP vulnerabilities.
- Checking access controls in place.
- Testing if remote workers can recognize and handle phishing attacks.
- Investigating what security flaws malicious insiders are likely to exploit and what harm they can inflict.
- Conducting social engineering testing to check if your employees can unintentionally break security rules.
- Evaluating authorization and authentication mechanisms in place: e.g., if MFA and strong passwords are implemented.
- Checking if corporate data is properly encrypted.
- Testing apps and IT infrastructure components that influence your compliance.
- Social engineering testing to prevent security breaches due to human error.
- Pen testing reports and attestation letters to prove your due diligence in case of a compliance audit.
Alarming Stats You Cannot Ignore
new vulnerabilities were reported in 2022 (CVE Details)
was the average total cost of a data breach in 2022 (IBM)
All about Cybersecurity
IBM QRadar SIEM
IBM QRadar Tools: Deployment & Environment
IBM QRadar Tools: Analytics & Reporting
IBM QRadar Tools: MITRE ATT&CK
Security Information and Event Management
IBM QRadar Tools: Data Integration