Virtual Hospital: Key Aspects
With 16 years of experience in healthcare IT, ScienceSoft offers medical software development and consulting services to help healthcare organizations implement efficient virtual hospital solutions.
A virtual hospital solution is a way to provide remote hospital-level care and monitoring to patients with communicable (e.g., COVID-19) and non-communicable diseases (e.g., diabetes) using telehealth-based communication, IoT devices, AI for disease patterns identification, and more.
Solution composition: A patient app, a care team app, an admin web panel, a cloud server.
Key solution integrations: Smart connected devices, EHR, a practice management system.
Key elements of a virtual hospital solution:
- A patient app – to schedule and visit virtual appointments, message doctors/nurses to consult about the symptoms, track health state (e.g., vitals and symptoms) and medication intake, view treatment plans, request medication refills, etc. The app can also be used by a patient’s caregiver (e.g., a relative) to help better coordinate the care.
- An app for the virtual hospital care team (e.g., nurses, general physicians, cardiologists, physical therapists) – to provide online patient consultations, examinations, suggest treatment changes, access and evaluate patients’ vitals, tests results, medical images, manage patients’ medication, etc.
- A video streaming server for real-time audiovisual communication between patients and the virtual hospital care team.
- A cloud data storage and processing module for storage of PHIs, consultation recordings, etc., and analysis of patient information (e.g., device-generated data, treatment plans).
- An admin web panel (for virtual hospital administrators, etc.) – to manage user access to virtual hospital software, view the list of patients, etc.
Virtual communication between a patient and medical staff
- Regular check-ins with the patient (e.g., once a day) and scheduled consultations via audiovisual communication.
- On-demand consultations via messages or video calls (e.g., for patients to consult on medication plan adaptation).
- (for patients) Requesting medication refill and delivery.
- Consultations on patient support for family members.
- Emergency call to a local ambulance team.
Patient treatment coordination
- Monitoring a patient’s health state and medication intake using manually entered data or data automatically uploaded from connected medical devices (e.g., blood pressure monitor, smart thermometer, smart pill bottle).
- Online medication plan creating and editing.
- In-app medication prescription, including prescription renewals.
- Tests scheduling.
- Scheduling additional patient consultations with doctors (e.g., physical therapists, mental health specialists).
Virtual hospital data analytics
- Dashboard with real-time data on the health state of virtual hospital patients.
- AI-based detection of patterns in patients’ symptoms.
- Notifications to a doctor or a nurse on abnormal health parameters and vitals’ trends.
- AI recommendations on treatment plan optimization.
- Analytics of expenses on virtual hospital patients (e.g., time spent by a care team on each patient).
Personal health data management (for patients)
- Updating and editing personal information in the patient profile (e.g., billing address, contact information).
- Upload of previous medical records and reports, medical images, and test results acquired from third-party providers.
- Logging of medication intake, new symptoms.
- Access to a care plan featuring medication plan, latest appointment reports, etc.
Patient support and accessibility features in the patient app
- Personalized in-app health education materials for patients and families to improve care.
- AI-based chatbots to provide support to patients with chronic diseases (e.g., to consult on disease symptoms).
- Text-to-speech capabilities
- to enable virtual hospital usage by visually impaired patients.
- Voice control for patients with vision impairments, motor dysfunctions, etc.
- A large font option.
Data security for virtual hospital patients
- Multi-factor authentication for virtual hospital users (patients, nurses, doctors, etc.).
- Role-based access management.
- End-to-end data encryption (e.g., of PHIs, appointment recordings).
- Secure storage and transmission of PHI between a patient and a healthcare provider.
- HIPAA and HITECH compliance.
Billing management for virtual hospital services (for patients)
- View of insurance plans coverage, bills for virtual and on-site care, tests, etc.
- Access to explanations of benefits.
- Online bill payment via secure payment gateways.
Vital Integrations for a Virtual Hospital Solution
- Smart medical devices for patients – to provide the virtual hospital care team with real-time data on vitals, medication intake, etc., for disease monitoring.
- EHR/EMR – to provide immediate access to a patient’s medical history, chronic conditions, allergies, and contact information for the virtual hospital care team, etc.
- Practice management system – to facilitate patient’s access to the healthcare specialists’ schedules, automate patient billing data entering to the system, etc.
- Medical imaging software and a laboratory information system – to enable an instant view of a patient’s X-rays, CT scans, etc., and lab test results for the care team to decide on treatment adjustment, patient readmission to a hospital, etc.
Patient engagement techniques
to encourage patients to follow the treatment process using notifications on medication intake, upcoming appointments, personalized educational materials on a patient’s disease, quizzes on their chronic conditions, achievement badges for thorough symptoms tracking, etc.
Cross-platform compatibility and optimization for mobile devices
to ensure that a virtual hospital patient app can be accessed on various devices (smartphones, tablets, laptops, PCs) and displayed properly on various screens.
ScienceSoft recommends implementing a custom virtual hospital solution if you need to:
Ensure seamless integration with connected medical devices and required medical software (EHR, medical imaging software, etc.), including legacy solutions.
Get tailored functionality for advanced specialized care you plan to provide via a virtual hospital (e.g., neurological, cardiovascular care).
Implement advanced data analytics of virtual hospital patients’ data to predict the course of the disease, including potential complications (for treatment improvement and research purposes).
With 16 years of experience in healthcare and 10 years in IoT, ScienceSoft can help you bring your virtual hospital solution to life to provide continuous monitoring and treatment of remote patients, optimize hospital bed allocation, and minimize the hospital readmission rate.
Virtual hospital solution consulting
Our healthcare IT consultants will:
- Analyze your organization’s needs for virtual hospital care delivery.
- Suggest, elaborate on, and prioritize virtual hospital features.
- Design solution architecture, high-level integrations with relevant healthcare IT systems (e.g., LIS, EHR).
- Choose a reliable tech stack for the virtual hospital solution.
- Calculate solution development investments and estimate ROI.
- Advise on ensuring virtual hospital compliance with HIPAA, HITECH regulations.
Implementation of a virtual hospital solution
Our team will:
- Elicit your virtual hospital requirements.
- Conceptualize the solution.
- Suggest, map, and prioritize features of the virtual hospital solution.
- Plan solution architecture, tech stack, integrations with healthcare IT systems (e.g., EHR, practice management system).
- Map user journeys and design attractive and accessible UI.
- Develop and test the virtual hospital solution.
- Ensure compliance with HIPAA, HITECH regulations.
- Support the virtual hospital solution after the launch (if required).
Established in 1989, ScienceSoft is an international IT consulting and software development company headquartered in McKinney, Texas, US. ScienceSoft holds ISO 13485 certificate and designs and develops medical software according to the requirements of the FDA and the Council of the European Union. Based on healthcare software development expertise obtained since 2005, ScienceSoft offers virtual hospital consulting and development services to help you leverage the benefits of virtual healthcare delivery.