Telehealth Software for Physical Therapy: Overview
ScienceSoft employs 15-year experience in healthcare IT to provide healthcare organizations with consulting on and offer development of telemedicine solutions.
The essence of telehealth for physical therapy
Telehealth technology helps physical therapists in fostering patients’ rehabilitation after injuries or surgeries, managing chronic conditions (e.g., arthritis, osteoporosis), and providing care for professional athletes remotely. Telemedicine for physical therapy (PT) proved to be effective in orthopedic, geriatric, and neurological care.
The main elements of the solution include:
App for physical therapists
to assign physical therapy programs, manage treatment, monitor therapy progress, patients’ health parameters, etc
App for patients
to view and follow physical therapy programs, record therapy sessions, contact a therapist for help and guidance, etc.
Cloud data storage and processing module
for patients’ data (e.g., demographic information, therapy progress log, health parameters), physical therapists’ data (e.g., contact information, years of experience, proprietary training programs, physical therapy programs and exercises, recordings of therapy sessions, etc.
Video streaming server
enabling video communication between patients and physical therapists in real time.
Admin web panel
to allow hospital administrators, supervisors, or private practice therapists (when SaaS model is used) to view a list of physical therapists and patients, grant the app access to patients and physiotherapists, add new physical therapy programs, etc.
Physical therapy program setup (for therapists)
- Composing a physical therapy program.
- Recording video instructions for exercises or adding text descriptions to exercises.
- View and selection of therapy programs available for a patient’s condition.
- Adaptation of a therapy program to a patient’s needs (e.g., adding a new exercise, changing a number of sets).
- Enabling text-to-speech functionality for textual exercise instructions (when setting up a program for visually impaired patients).
- VR-based physical therapy sessions.
Conducting a physiotherapy session (for therapists)
- Templates for pre-therapy questionnaires for patients (indicating symptoms and an overall health state).
- Physical therapy modes: guided sessions with real-time monitoring by a therapist (optimal for therapy beginners) or pre-recorded therapy sessions.
- Recording of conducted physical therapy sessions.
Therapy adherence monitoring and analytics
- Personal KPI targets for each patient created by a therapist.
- Alerts for a therapist and a patient if the patient’s vitals exceed the norm.
- Notifications for a therapist if a patient doesn’t meet set KPIs or misses a remote physical therapy session.
- Treatment adjustment suggestions for therapists (e.g., reduce the number of cardio exercises due to a high heart rate).
- Dashboards with patients’ target and achieved therapy results, analyzed progress, therapy adherence, and vitals.
Self-monitoring (for patients)
- Patients’ exercise log.
- Patients’ health parameters log (e.g., weight, body temperature, pulse, blood pressure).
- Automated vitals collection and tracking via connected devices.
- Real-time suggestions for exercise adjustments based on tracked vitals.
- Automated patient surveys after therapy sessions.
- E-visits scheduling.
- Real-time audio and video calls (e.g., for physical therapy sessions, follow-up visits).
- Instant text messaging and message history.
- Online appointments history and recordings.
Security and compliance
- Access and identity management.
- Multi-factor authentication.
- Data encryption (e.g., for PHI, messaging, and calls).
- HIPAA and HITECH regulations compliance.
To save time on manual patient data entry and get an overall picture of patient health while planning and conducting remote physical therapy sessions, ScienceSoft suggests integrating the telehealth PT application with:
EHR or EMR system
to ease access to the patient health information (e.g., diagnoses, chronic conditions) for physical therapists and log e-visits in EHR for the streamlined gathering of billing information.
Connected medical devices
to collect and analyze patients’ health parameters (e.g., blood pressure, pulse, SpO2) in real time, adjust the physiotherapy, track treatment results and effectiveness.
Easy in-app therapy programs search, editing, and adding
to allow physical therapists to set up an effective patient therapy program fast.
Gamification of physical therapy
to motivate patients (e.g., points for completing a therapy session or reaching predefined therapy milestones, in-app badges for progress).
Clear UI and intuitive UX
to help patients navigate through remote physiotherapy sessions and the telehealth application’s features, e.g., with pop-up text or voiced recommendations (especially relevant for geriatric care).
ScienceSoft suggests opting for a custom telemedicine physiotherapy app if you want to provide more effective care using:
- Medical devices or sensors connected to the telehealth app for physiotherapy. The sensors can be put on an injured joint or a limb to track the activity and range of movement, provide data for rehabilitation insights and help monitor complications (e.g., muscular atrophy). Connected medical devices (e.g., oximeters, heart rate monitors) check a patient’s vitals in real time.
- Unique physical therapy programs developed by your therapists or research center (their forms vary from pre-recorded and animated videos to AI-powered interactive training and VR-based physiotherapy).
- AI-driven analytics to facilitate physiotherapy patients’ diagnosing or progress assessment.
With 31-year experience in software development and 15-year experience in healthcare IT, ScienceSoft knows how to create an efficient telemedicine app for physiotherapy.
Telehealth PT software consulting
- Eliciting requirements for physical therapy telehealth software and elaborating on its features.
- Designing a scalable architecture and choosing an optimal technology stack.
- Delivering an implementation roadmap for your telehealth software for PT.
- Planning integrations with required software and hardware (e.g., EHR, connected medical devices).
- Evaluating potential development risks and providing a risk mitigation plan.
Telehealth PT software development
- Eliciting requirements for physical therapy telehealth software and planning its features.
- Defining an app architecture and tech stack.
- Designing the application’s UX and UI.
- Developing and testing the telehealth app for physical therapy.
- Integrating the app with needed software (e.g., EHR) and hardware (e.g., sensors).
- Supporting the application and introducing new features for its smooth evolution.
ScienceSoft is an international IT consulting and software development company headquartered in McKinney, Texas, US. For 15 years, ScienceSoft has been rendering expert consulting and development services for telemedicine applications and helped healthcare organizations provide quality remote physical therapy to improve patient care and quicken rehabilitation.