Custom Patient Portal Software
Overview for Healthcare Providers
With 18 years in the healthcare industry, ScienceSoft plans and implements patient portals for efficient interaction with patients.
Patient Portals: the Essence
Healthcare organizations use portals to provide patients with convenient and secure 24/7 access to their personal health information (PHI), medical advice, and assistance. A patient-facing self-service portal optimizes communication with a healthcare provider and increases patient engagement in the treatment process.
Healthcare providers value custom patient portals because they are tailored to every need — from unique branding to specific workflows within the organization. Custom portals can accommodate functionality that can't be found in OOTB solutions, like disease-specific modules, telehealth, and seamless integration with the IT environment.
Key Features of Patient Portals
ScienceSoft’s medical IT consultants design the patient portal feature set to match business needs of each healthcare organization. Below, we describe the functionality often requested by our customers.
Patient access to personal health information
- Encrypted and password-protected login to a personal profile
- Health history, diagnoses, allergies, and chronic conditions view
- Lab test results, discharge summaries view and download
- Treatment, procedures, and medication plan view
- Personalized after-treatment lifestyle recommendations and educational materials
Doctor visit arrangement
- Scheduling appointments online
- Upcoming appointments view and ability to re-schedule visits
- Detailed visit history view
- Online filling-in of pre-visit forms
- Automated appointment reminders for patients (via text messages or portal notifications)
Secure patient-doctor communication
- Messaging between a doctor and a patient
- Video consultations
- After-visit patient surveys
Payment and insurance management for patients
- Access to bills and explanations of benefits
- Online bill payment
- Insurance coverage cases list
Online patient requests
- Prescription refills requests
- Medical procedure requests
- Contact information, billing information, and health records update requests
- Granting portal access to new users
- Patients’ health and contact information editing
- Upload of a user’s clinical documents obtained from other healthcare providers
Examples of Patient Portal Functionality ScienceSoft Implements
An after visit summary featuring patient symptoms, diagnosis, recommendations, and a medication plan
Access to a personal medical history featuring recent diagnoses, chronic diseases, allergies, a medication plan, etc.
A pre-visit survey to provide a doctor with patient symptoms and general health information in advance
ScienceSoft’s experts recommend integrating a patient portal with EHR/EMR and CRM to enable a holistic patient health history view and eliminate the need for repetitive patient data entry into different systems. As a result, such integrations help healthcare providers reduce patient data management costs and prevent them from storing fragmented or duplicated information.
EHR / EMR (Electronic Health Records or Electronic Medical Records)
to share patients’ health history, treatment plans, and billing history in their personal portal accounts and pull patient-driven information (pre-visit information, payment updates, etc.) from the portal.
CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
or Call Center software, Practice Management System – to accumulate a patient’s visit history, health support requests and messaging history and provide personalized care approach and service offerings.
How to Develop a Patient Portal
1. Analyzing the needs of your healthcare organization and patients to define key functions of a patient portal, decide on web or mobile development, and more.
2. Creating patient portal requirements specification and tech design (including tech stack, integrations, etc.).
3. Designing compliance roadmap for HIPAA, GDPR, and other applicable regulations.
4. Planning the UX of a patient portal.
5. Designing attractive UI elements that follow the healthcare organization's brand book and are focused on ease of use and accessibility.
6. Development and testing of a patient portal in iterations.
7. Preparing user training materials for the roles within the healthcare organization and quick start guides for patients.
8. Launching the patient portal.
9. Supporting and maintaining the portal for impeccable patient experience.
What Determines a Patient Portal Success
To make sure your healthcare organization gets the most value from a patient portal, ScienceSoft suggests you pay attention to:
Intuitive portal navigation
so that the portal can be used by expert and novice users alike.
to make sure patients can access the portal from various devices (smartphones, tablets, PCs) both at home and on-the-go.
Promotion of the portal
among patients as a central communication tool to take the load off a call center.
Real-Life Patient Portal Success Story by ScienceSoft
A Danish health consultancy services provider.
A health portal for patients providing an opportunity to consult health experts, contribute to debates and find a variety of healthy recipes.
- Individual web page for each patient with detailed health information.
- Localization of portal pages for English and Danish cultures.
- Notifications on relevant portal content, new debates, etc. via e-mail and text messages.
- Questionnaires for patients.
When a Custom Patient Portal Is Your Best Choice
ScienceSoft recommends healthcare providers opting for custom patient portals when they want to:
- Integrate the portal with multiple systems (EHR/EMR, CRM, hospital department systems such as RIS (Radiology Imaging System), marketing automation software, etc.) and especially with legacy solutions.
- Provide branded UI that can be difficult or impossible to configure with out-of-the-box software capabilities.
- Leverage advanced patient engagement techniques (e.g., gamification elements, such as achievements, social media sharing options).
- Add telehealth functionality to take care of the patients remotely, including e-visits.
Patient Portal Implementation
Thanks to our 18-year experience in web portals development, ScienceSoft knows how to make an efficient patient portal.
Patient portal consulting
Our healthcare IT consultants:
- Analyze your patient interaction workflows.
- Define a portal’s features and tech stack.
- Develop a business case.
- Design a secure portal architecture and define necessary integrations.
- Deliver UX and UI mock-ups.
- Provide project pricing and timing estimation.
- Help comply with relevant regulations (HIPAA, HITECH, FDA, NCPDP D.0, etc.).
Patient portal development
- Portal consulting, design, and project planning.
- Patient portal development and quality assurance.
- Portal compliance with applicable regulations.
- Integration with your EHR, CRM, Call center software, Practice Management System.
- User training.
- Continuous patient portal support and maintenance.
We worked with ScienceSoft on the refactoring and modernization of our telehealth web portal and a cross-platform patient application. During the project, we were impressed by their code analysis proficiency and in-depth knowledge of telemedicine specifics. ScienceSoft proved to be a reliable vendor with a solid healthcare background, and we recommend them to everyone looking for a telehealth software development partner.
ScienceSoft is an international IT consulting and software development vendor headquartered in Texas, US. Experienced in healthcare solutions, ScienceSoft advises on patient portal implementation and develops custom patient portals that bring value to healthcare providers and patients alike. We hold ISO 13485 certification proving we design and develop medical software according to the requirements of the FDA and the Council of the European Union. Discuss patient portal consultancy and development services with our healthcare team.