Remote Cardiac Monitoring: Overview
In healthcare software development since 2005, ScienceSoft leverages its IoMT expertise to design and develop remote cardiac monitoring solutions for real-time visibility into patients’ heart conditions.
The cardiac monitoring market was estimated at $22.1 billion in 2020 and expected to amount to $26.8 billion by 2025 at a CAGR of 4%. The demand for remote heart monitoring solutions grows due to the spread of cardiovascular diseases worldwide and the risks of on-site visits caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
How Remote Heart Monitoring Works
A remote cardiac monitoring (RCM) solution usually consists of the following elements:
Smart cardiac devices
– connected medical devices (e.g., an implantable cardiac monitor, a cardioverter-defibrillator, an artificial pacemaker, a wearable sensor, a loop recorder) that сollect cardiac data (e.g., heart rate) and send it to the cloud server for storing and analysis.
– for patients to view their cardiac health parameters (e.g., heart rate, cardiac events) and the state of a connected cardiac device, log their symptoms, etc.
– for storing, processing and analyzing device-generated data (e.g., heart rate, tachycardia cases), analyzing patient information from EHR (e.g., new prescriptions), etc.
– providing a cardiologist, a primary care physician, a physiotherapist, other healthcare specialists, with data on connected cardiac device state, patients’ cardiac health reports and alerting medical staff on detected cardiac abnormalities.
Admin web panel
– to manage multiple user role settings (e.g., enable or restrict cardiac monitoring data review and cardiac monitoring reports editing), update cardiac care specialists’ schedules, confirm online appointment requests, etc.
Cardiac rhythm management device monitoring
The solution enables a patient, a cardiac device technician, and a doctor to check data from a patient’s implantable rhythm management device (performance, battery life, etc.) and get notifications on the risks of device malfunction or patient’s health abnormalities.
Cardiac disease prevention
The solution provides a doctor with a patient’s data from an RCM device (e.g., ECG patch) and reports about identified abnormalities (e.g., arrhythmias, palpitations, bradycardia). The doctor can spot the developing pathologies (e.g., atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter), schedule more detailed patient screening, prescribe therapy and medications, etc.
Outpatient and postoperative monitoring
After a patient is discharged from a hospital or diagnosed with a chronic cardiac disease (e.g., heart failure), a cardiac care team can monitor an outpatient’s real-time cardiac data (e.g., via heart rate monitor, blood pressure monitor, pulse oximeter) and receive notification if the risk of cardiac complications is identified.
Prenatal cardiac monitoring
For higher-risk pregnancies (patients with diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, etc.), the solution enables non-invasive maternal and fetal heart rate monitoring to identify complications early, which results in improved prenatal care quality and maternal and fetal outcomes.
While training, athletes can use dedicated RCM solutions to get a health state assessment from a sports doctor and consultations on their cardiac health and training program to maximize the benefit of their physical training and reduce heart risks.
Detection of cardiac symptoms
The solution processes cardiac devices’ signals to accurately detect a heartbeat, classify beats, eliminate side noises. The RCM solution identifies changes in heart rhythm from normal parameters (e.g., detects arrhythmia, ventricular tachycardia, atrial fibrillation) and notifies patients and doctors.
Cardiac data analytics and automated RCM reports generation
The RCM solution automatically logs, processes and analyzes cardiac data using AI to identify trends and predict cardiac events. The insights (e.g., predicted cardiac events) are visualized on doctor-facing dashboards and reports. Based on this data, doctors can adjust the treatment, training program, or schedule examinations.
Configuration of threshold monitoring parameters
Based on a patient’s health records, a doctor can configure monitoring parameters for the detection of symptoms specific to a patient’s disease. If the measurements exceed pre-set thresholds, the system automatically sends an alert (e.g., an app dashboard alert, email, SMS) to a patient, a cardiologist, a cardiac nurse, etc.
Device failure identification
The RCM solution (e.g., pacemaker remote monitoring system) detects actual and potential hardware failures and device programming errors and alerts a patient, a cardiac technician, or a doctor about them.
Symptoms log for patients
A patient logs cardiac and cardiac-related symptoms (e.g., palpitations, shortness of breath, stress, fatigue) and their lifestyle habits (diet, physical activity, etc.) to provide a cardiac care team with the overall patient’s health state view.
Online patient-doctor communication
Doctors can schedule e-visits to check patients’ health state, provide them with care instructions and feedback on medical tests’ results in real-time, etc. Patients can also initiate communication with a cardiologist using an in-app chat to discuss new symptoms and get advice on their alleviation, or schedule a telemedicine appointment with a doctor.
Technology Elements for RCM Solutions
Real-time data processing
Smart cardiac devices connectivity
Bluetooth Low Energy
Accuracy of cardiac measurements can be compromised due to improper usage of remote cardiac monitoring devices by patients.
Check the solution
To help patients improve the quality of measurements, add instructions on app-device pairing, device location and operation, etc., to a patient app. For example, for ECG sensors, the app can regularly send notifications reminding a patient to check the sensor’s location, integrity, etc.
The system can misinterpret predictable changes in cardiac data (e.g., change in the heart rhythm due to drug intake) as potential cardiac risks and send false alarms to the patient app and the doctor app.
Check the solution
ScienceSoft recommends integrating the RCM solution with EHR to get the information about a patient’s prescriptions that may change the cardiac measurements and add a medication intake log for patients. After that, the normal parameters in the RCM analytics algorithms can be adapted to the changes in the treatment resulting in a minimized number of false positive alarms.
General investment size factors
- The complexity of cardiac monitoring solution features (including those in a patient app, a doctor app, and an admin web panel).
- A number of cardiac device types connected to the software.
- Connectivity technologies of cardiac devices (e.g., Wi-Fi, Bluetooth).
- The number of user roles.
Cloud services usage (e.g., cloud data storage and analytics, cardiac devices connectivity).
With 16-year experience in healthcare IT and 10-year experience in IoT, ScienceSoft’s team helps design and build advanced remote cardiac monitoring systems.
Remote cardiac monitoring solution consulting
- Market and competitors’ analysis (for product companies).
- Remote cardiac monitoring app concept productization (for product companies).
- Business and technical requirements elicitation.
- RCM features listing.
- High-level design of scalable software architecture.
- Technology stack selection.
- TCO estimation of the remote cardiac monitoring system.
- ROI calculation.
Remote cardiac monitoring solution development
- Market analysis and RCM solution requirements elicitation (for product companies).
- Scalable software architecture planning.
- Selection of cardiac monitoring devices (if required).
- Sleek UX and UI design.
- Development and quality assurance of the remote cardiac monitoring solution.
- HIPAA, HITECH and FDA compliance.
- Application support and evolution (if required).
ScienceSoft is a global IT company with 32 years of experience in IT consulting and software development headquartered in Texas, US. Being ISO 13485-certified, we design and develop tailored IoMT solutions for efficient remote patient monitoring according to the requirements of the FDA and the Council of the European Union. We are ready to deliver RCM solutions aimed at improving chronic cardiac disease management and heart conditions treatment.