Best Software to Build a Data Warehouse in the Cloud
ScienceSoft has been rendering data warehouse consulting services for more than 15 years.
What is a cloud data warehouse?
A cloud data warehouse is a system, which uses the space and compute power allocated by a cloud provider to integrate and store data from disparate data sources. It is employed for data structured storage, analysis and reporting.
Cloud vs. On-premises DWH
Cloud DWH key features
- Flexible querying with SQL (including big data).
- Data ingestion with ETL/ELT.
- Quick deployment.
- Automation of DWH maintenance tasks (backups, patching, replication, etc.)
- Relational data.
- Structured big data.
- Unstructured data, including real-time data.
- Federated query support.
- Integration with BI and analytics software.
- Massively parallel processing.
- Optimized data storage for high performance query processing (columnar data storage, data compression, etc.).
- Materialized view support and result-caching.
- ML capabilities to manage performance and concurrency.
- On-demand near-infinite scaling of compute and storage resources.
- Possibility to scale compute and storage separately.
- High availability (up to 99,99%).
- Fault tolerance due to automatic backups, (re)-replication and restore.
- Consumption-based and flat-rate pricing options.
- Controllable pricing with the possibility to save up with long-term commitments.
Security and compliance
- Data encryption.
- Built-in authentication and authorization.
- Columnar-level access control.
- Automated threat detection, vulnerability assessment, etc.
- Compliance to national, regional, and industry-specific requirements.
Top 5 Cloud Data Warehouses
The presented cloud data warehouse solutions are recognized leaders of Gartner Magic Quadrant and Forrester Wave reports. All of them are suitable for mid-sized and large businesses.
An enterprise-level DWH to handle diverse workloads by scaling up and down storage and compute and paying for them separately.
- Agile SQL data querying (including big data)
- Native integrations with the AWS ecosystem (including Amazon S3)
- Federated queries support
- Advanced security, etc.
Companies that have already invested in the AWS ecosystem and those seeking high DWH performance with huge data sets.
- On-demand pricing starts from $0.25/hour (depends on the type and number of nodes in the cluster).
- Reserved instance pricing includes three options (No, Partial, All Upfront) and allows saving up to 75% over the on-demand option.
The Microsoft product to unify enterprise data warehousing and big data analysis.
- Quick DWH deployment and SQL data querying
- Native integrations with a data lake, operational databases, BI and ML software
- Intelligent workload management
- Comprehensive security features
- Separate billing for compute and storage, etc.
Companies looking for a unified workspace to deliver end-to-end analytics with integrated BI, ML and AI capabilities.
- Data storage – $122.88 per TB/month ($ 0.17/TB/hour). The data storage size includes your DWH data and 7 days of incremental snapshot storage.
- Storage transactions are not billed.
- Query performance pricing depends on the service level and region.
A cloud-based DWH that allows SQL querying against huge data sets with results delivered in seconds.
- Multi-cloud capabilities
- Built-in integrations with a data lake, operational databases, big data ecosystem, BI and AI, etc.
Data mining and varied workloads.
Storage costs – $0.02 per GB/month ($0.01 per GB/month for long-term storage).
Streaming inserts – $0.01 per 200 MB.
For query performance, 2 subscription options are available:
- Pay-as-you-go ($5 per TB, 1st TB/month is free).
- Flat-rate pricing (from $10,000/ month for a dedicated reservation of 500 processing units).
Loading, copying or exporting data, metadata operations, deleting datasets, tables, views, etc. – free.
An easy-to-run cloud DWH service with automatic scaling and management of patches and updates.
- Elastic separate scaling of storage and compute
- SQL Developer and BI tools support
- Built-in support for analytical SQL and ML
- Profound security
- Deployment variations, etc.
Companies that want to eliminate traditional database administration tasks and save during peak performance time with autoscaling.
- Compute costs – $1.3441/CPU/hour
- Data storage – $118.40 per TB/month (in the public cloud).
An elastic cloud DWH built for high-performance analytics and ML workloads.
- Flexible SQL data querying
- Integration with Apache Spark
- Compatibility with IBM Netezza and IBM workloads
- Built-in ML and geospatial capabilities
- Independent scaling of storage and compute
- Deployment on multiple cloud providers (IBM Cloud, AWS), etc.
Hybrid cloud deployment needs and intensive analytics workloads.
Data storage – $0.005 per 10GB/hour
Compute – $0.68 per Instance/hour, $0.05 per Virtual Processor Core/hour.
Data storage – - $0.48 per 1TB/hour
Compute – $2.11 per Instance/hour, $1.48 per 16 Virtual Processor Cores/hour.
Data storage – $2.03 per 2400GB/hour
Compute – $7.76 per Instance/hour, $2.60 per 24 Virtual Processor Cores/hour.
These platforms offer similar functionality within the key criteria for choosing DWH technology – scalability, reliability, flexibility, and security. Thus, the decision on what cloud DWH platform to opt for mostly depends on:
- A platform’s performance (ability to accomplish the assigned tasks).
- Implementation costs, which can be different for every particular situation.
Implementation of a cloud data warehouse
Having 15+ years of hands-on experience in delivering DWH solutions, ScienceSoft can provide you with a flexible centralized storage on a fitting cloud platform and enable analytics capabilities to optimize internal business processes and enhance the decision-making.
Cloud DWH Consulting
- Analyzing your business needs and eliciting requirements for a future DWH solution.
- Designing a cloud DWH implementation/migration strategy.
- Outlining the optimal cloud DWH platform and its configurations.
- Consulting on data integration and data quality procedures.
- Conducting admin training.
If required, we supplement our consulting services with tech expertise and implement the DWH solution in accordance with the worked-out strategy.
Cloud Data Warehouse as a Service (DWaaS)
For you to avoid the efforts on cloud DWH development, implementation and management, we customize a cloud-based data warehouse and rent it out to you on a subscription fee basis.
ScienceSoft is a global IT consulting and IT service company headquartered in McKinney, TX, US. Since 2005, we assist our clients in delivering DWH solutions with the help of end-to-end data warehousing services to encourage agile and data-driven decision-making. Our long-standing partnerships with global technology vendors such as Microsoft, AWS, Oracle, etc. allow us to bring tailored end-to-end cloud data warehousing solutions to business users.