Best Ticketing Systems in 2022: Top IT Help Desk and Customer Service Desk Software
ScienceSoft has been helping organizations choose and implement optimal ticketing software for 14 years.
A ticketing system enables the collection of your customers’ or employees’ service requests from various communication channels and automates a request resolution flow, including request assigning, prioritization, escalation, and tracking. The ticketing system is known as a customer service desk when it’s targeted at a company’s customers, or an IT help desk when it enables employee support.
- Ticket creation from employees’ or customers’ requests submitted via email, web, phone, live chat, social media.
- Ticket prioritization.
- Ticket assignment to the right agents.
- Ticket escalation.
- Response templates (e.g., for the first response).
Knowledge management for support agents
- Knowledge base for agents.
- Knowledge articles designer to create and edit articles.
- Contextual search of articles for agents.
Automation of the ticket resolution process
- Automation rules for case prioritization, assignment, escalation.
- Automated notifications about new support requests, escalated tickets, etc.
- Suggestions of relevant content to help agents solve employees’ and customers’ issues faster.
Self-service portal for employees and customers
- Communities and forums.
- Virtual agent to answer employees’ and customers’ commonly asked question.
- Service request submission.
Analytics and visualization
- Customizable dashboards.
- Surveys to get feedback from customers and employees for service optimization.
- Incident root cause analysis.
- Post-incident reviews.
- CSAT reporting.
- Support team performance analytics.
Service level management
- Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Entitlements (type and level of support).
Dynamics 365 Customer Service
Leader in the 2021 Magic Quadrant for the CRM Customer Engagement Center.
- Caters for a customer service desk and an IT help desk.
- Highly customizable ticket management.
- Multiple communication channels (phone, email, web, chats, social networks, SMS, IoT sensors).
- AI-driven knowledge articles recommendations for agents.
- Customizable templates for user surveys to get feedback on the support team work.
Ticket management requiring multiple integrations with business application.
- Professional: $50 / user / month.
- Enterprise: $95 / user / month.
- Digital Messaging add-on: $75 / user / month.
- Virtual Agent add-on: $1,100 / tenant / month.
Salesforce Service Cloud
Leader in Gartner CRM Customer Engagement Center Magic Quadrant for 12 consecutive years.
- An agent console with integrated telephony, digital channels, and a 360° customer view.
- Trailhead (free online learning platform to increase agent productivity and grow skills).
- AI-driven predictions, next step and knowledge article recommendations for agents.
- Einstein chatbots.
Ticket management requiring extensive AI capabilities.
- Essentials: $25 / user / month.
- Professional: $75 / user / month.
- Enterprise: $150 / user / month.
- Unlimited: $300 / user / month.
- Einstein AI & Analytics add-on: $50 / user / month*.
* Requires an annual contract.
ServiceNow® ITSM Platform
A 7-time Leader in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for ITSM Tools.
- Incident management to track IT failures and restore services fast.
- Employee service center as a single source of information and services.
- Virtual Agent ITSM for intelligent and personalized conversations with users to help resolve their issues.
IT help desk for companies with 500+ employees.
- $20/user /month*.
Virtual Agent ITSM:
* Unrestricted Subscription Meter (any users with a username, password, and a status of “active”).
** Fulfiller Subscription Meter (users have full admin, developer, or usage rights).
ServiceNow® CSM Platform
Leader in the 2021 Gartner Magic Quadrant for the CRM Customer Engagement Center
- Following customers’ products and services to detect and solve issues proactively.
- CSM Virtual Agent for AI‑powered conversations to help customers resolve issues customers. When human help needed, the entire context is transferred to the right human agent.
- Self-service portal for customers with a knowledge base suggesting relevant content based on products and services a customer uses.
Proactive customer support.
- CSM Standard: $125/user /month.
- CSM Professional: $175/user/month.
- Virtual Agent CSM: $25 000/year.
- 1,000 additional portal visits: $60/month.
Gartner Peer Insights Customers’ Choice 2020 in Digital Experience Platforms.
Can serve as a ticketing system due to its customization- and integration-friendliness.
- Creating, prioritizing, and organizing tickets into groups (e.g., new, important, etc.).
- Color marking of top priority, requests, and statuses.
- Automated generating of notifications (new tickets assigned, user replies, resolution due date, etc.).
- Tools for building a knowledge base to address repetitive requests.
Companies needing a cost-effective solution with basic ticketing capabilities.
- SharePoint Online Plan 1: $5.00 / user / month*.
- SharePoint Online Plan 2: $10.00 / user / month*.
- Office 365 E3: $20.00 / user / month*.
* Annual commitment.
Jira Service Management
Strong performer in The Forrester Wave: Enterprise Service Management, Q4 2019.
- Prioritizing, tracking, and assigning incoming requests from various sources (including Slack and Microsoft Teams).
- Issue root cause analysis to optimize resolution guidance.
- Knowledge base for employees’ self-service.
Collaboration-focused IT help desk.
- Free (for up to 3 agents).
- Standard: $20 / agent / month.
- Premium: $40 / agent / month.
The development of the custom ticketing system may be the most feasible option when:
- The required system is too complex or too simple in relation to the functionality offered by vendors. In this case, customization may be more labor-intensive and, thus, more expensive than from-scratch development.
- Integrations with custom applications based on legacy technologies are required.
- Your ticketing system needs to have branded UI.
- Analyzing employee or customer support needs.
- Defining an optimal feature set for a ticketing system.
- Choosing between platform-based or custom ticketing software development.
- Recommending the most suitable ticketing platform, in case of platform-based implementation.
- Deciding on a technology stack for a custom ticketing system.
- Suggesting necessary customizations and integrations.
- Drawing up the implementation plan.
- Estimating implementation costs and time.
Ticketing system implementation
- Analysis of employee or customer support needs.
- Selecting a fitting platform for a ticketing system, OR
- From-scratch development of a custom ticketing solution.
- Ticketing platform configuration and customization (in case of platform-based implementation).
- Integration with enterprise systems (e.g., ERP, CRM, HRM, IT asset management tool, business intelligence, etc.).
- User training and after-launch support.
ScienceSoft is a global IT consulting and IT service company with 33-year history and the team of 700+ IT professionals on board. We advise our customers on the platform-based and custom ticketing software implementation and offer a full cycle of relevant services, from consulting to post-launch support.