How to Develop a Blockchain Solution
ScienceSoft's skilled blockchain developers offer professional blockchain development services and ensure high security, easy maintainability, and minimized gas consumption of blockchain solutions.
Blockchain Development: Essence
Blockchain solution development is aimed at building software that will function within the blockchain platform, hence guaranteeing immutability and traceability of data. Blockchain software can introduce decentralization, workflow automation, and enhanced security to various businesses and enterprises.
Blockchain Development Guide Highlights
- Development plan: Feasibility study, solution conceptualization (choosing an architecture type, a consensus mechanism, a blockchain platform), development and QA, solution deployment and integration.
- Project roles: Business consultant, blockchain architect, project manager, blockchain developer, back-end developer, UX/UI designer, front-end developer, DevOps expert, QA engineer.
- Sourcing models: In-house, team augmentation, partial outsourcing, full outsourcing.
- Costs: Depending on transaction costs and other factors.
With more than 3,000 successfully completed software development initiatives and a dedicated blockchain team on board, ScienceSoft designs strategies for blockchain development projects and undertakes their implementation.
Visit ScienceSoft's dedicated pages to learn about the capabilities, benefits, and cost factors of blockchain-based solutions.
Secure and scalable permission-based or permissionless decentralized ecosystems with minimized downtime.
Blockchain-based transaction platforms
Peer-to-peer platforms with no single point of failure for transparent, fast, and safe multi-party transactions.
Programmable crypto assets built on blockchain that may represent a digital form of money, tradeable assets, utilities, governance rights, and more.
Below are the typical steps ScienceSoft takes when developing blockchain solutions for our customers.
ScienceSoft usually starts each blockchain development project by analyzing a customer’s specific needs and expectations. Quite often, we help clients understand whether a blockchain solution is viable and worth their investment. Depending on the industry you come from, we may ask some of these questions:
- Do you have cross-company workflows that require automated accountability?
- Does your company deal with continuous supply of assets?
- Do you want to get a third-party/centralized authority out of your processes’ loop?
- Does your company deal with sensitive documentation or records shared between multiple organizations?
If any of these questions yields a confident ‘yes’, you would most likely benefit from a blockchain solution. ScienceSoft’s consultants proceed to discuss the business specifics with you and then perform in-depth research to compile a list of tangible benefits that the blockchain technology can bring to your business. Once the research is done, we present high-level costs breakdown and ROI calculations.
ScienceSoft’s tip: A case-by-case approach is indispensable for understanding the possible benefits of blockchain as some viable cases can not fit into the points above. Make sure to discuss your situation with our consultants.
After making sure that you would benefit from a blockchain solution, ScienceSoft’s consultants start building a solid business case that describes high-level requirements to your blockchain solution and client web/mobile apps that will interact with it. Our experts also cooperate with tech teams to decide on how blockchain will be incorporated into your current business processes and/or IT systems.
Upon forming a high-level vision, ScienceSoft moves on to detailed project planning, which involves several important technical decisions.
There are 3 major blockchain types: public, private (permissioned), and hybrid. The key difference is in whether the data is stored and shared on an unlimited number of nodes or across a restricted network. In the hybrid blockchain, certain types of data are shared privately while other types of data are public.
The choice usually depends on your business case. After analyzing the requirements assembled by the consultants, ScienceSoft’s blockchain architects suggest possible architecture types and discuss the pros and cons of every option with the project stakeholders.
Consensus mechanism is a model that defines which nodes have the right to validate new blocks in the chain and describes how validation conflicts are resolved. The most popular consensus mechanisms that ScienceSoft implements in its blockchain projects are Proof-of-Work, Proof-of-Stake, Byzantine Fault Tolerance, and Proof-of-Authority, as well as their modifications.
This consensus boils down to one simple statement: “the more powerful the node, the more authority it has”. Proof-of-Work considers the mining capabilities of the computers in the blockchain network and grants the right to validate a block (i.e., make a change or a rollback in the chain) to the nodes that are more efficient in mining. Large networks of such highly productive nodes are very difficult to attack but may be costly to support.
Best for: We often recommend this mechanism to businesses with already existing large computational resources.
Unlike PoW consensus, PoS gives more authority to the nodes with larger and richer crypto investments. Computers can do little to no mining and get the right to validate a block based on their cryptocurrency balance. This mechanism helps significantly minimize energy bills but also poses higher risks of a cyberattack.
Best for: We suggest a variation of this mechanism – Delegated Proof-of-Stake – to various businesses. Delegated PoS tackles the risks by giving the authority to only a few proven and rich nodes, albeit making the blockchain more centralized.
Instead of the mining power or cryptocurrency balance, the node’s identity or reputation is what defines its weight in the network. Computers that have a track record of hacking activities are automatically blocked and do not have the right to validate blocks.
Best for: We usually recommend using this mechanism in private enterprise blockchain solutions, since nodes need to identify as company property to get the right of block validation.
Byzantine Fault Tolerance (BFT)
A system with this consensus uncovers malicious nodes thanks to constant monitoring and detailed verification of peer-to-peer information exchange. The malicious nodes’ authority is then intentionally minimized and disregarded during consensus. The number of known, secure nodes should always be at least three times higher than the number of possible malicious nodes.
Best for: ScienceSoft usually offers this mechanism to clients with large networks.
The final choice concerns the blockchain network to deploy the developed solution on. ScienceSoft provides both the development of a blockchain from scratch and hard/soft forking of an existing blockchain platform.
- From scratch – costlier and longer development that results in a unique blockchain network with its own cryptocurrency. We suggest this option to blockchain startups or fintech customers, who have their individual vision of a blockchain platform, which they want to make competitive.
- Forking – since all existing blockchain platforms are open-source, their codes are easily available and can be modified. Modifications (also called ‘forks’) are x1.5-2 faster to deliver and yield fully functioning blockchain networks with as many differences from and/or similarities with the original as you want. Forking lets you choose to create your own cryptocurrency but doesn’t require many investments in the conceptual and architectural decisions. This is a typical strategy of our non-fintech customers.
To decide what existing platform to fork, ScienceSoft’s blockchain architects discuss with you such factors as consensus mechanisms, smart contract support, and software development languages.
The choice of the platform wraps up the necessary technical decisions and allows an architect and a PM to work on delivering elaborate project documentation: architecture design, requirement specification, and the development project plan (including task description and schedule).
Duration: from 2 months (depending on the scope)
Blockchain solution development usually covers implementation of blockchain software, an off-chain client application (web and/or mobile) for interacting with blockchain software, and back ends for hosting the two components.
When implementing blockchain projects, we make sure that quality assurance of each part of the solution is done in parallel with coding to eliminate logic vulnerabilities and errors as soon as possible. Our QA engineers diligently prepare tests to ensure deep and high coverage and choose the most suitable test network for rigorous post-development testing.
Duration: 1-3 weeks
Once the blockchain solution passes testing on the test network, ScienceSoft’s team starts deploying it on the actual blockchain network. DevOps experts oversee containerization of blockchain components for deployment and perform integration between the blockchain and regular software infrastructure. Real network testing, which is run in the presence of a client, is the last stage before we perform other requested integrations (e.g., with enterprise software) and set the solution live.
In software development since 1989, ScienceSoft offers professional consulting on and development of blockchain solutions for all industries and domains.
Consulting on blockchain development
- Creation of a business case on blockchain development.
- Assistance with the choice of the blockchain network type (private, public, hybrid), architecture design, and tech stack.
- Detailed feature set for a blockchain system.
- Integration plan with required software.
- Preparation of test cases.
- Roadmap for blockchain system implementation, including a risk mitigation plan.
Blockchain development services
- Blockchain development consulting.
- Blockchain software conceptualization.
- Blockchain architecture design.
- Blockchain solution development (including the back end and client apps).
- Integration of the blockchain system into an existing software ecosystem.
- Testing and quality assurance.
- User training.
- Blockchain software support and evolution (if required).
Why Choose ScienceSoft as a Blockchain Development Partner
- 450+ software developers on board.
- Experience with leading blockchain frameworks: Ethereum, Hyperledger Fabric, Graphene.
- Cloud services we use: Amazon Managed Blockchain, Google Cloud Platform, Oracle Blockchain, IBM Blockchain.
- A mature quality management system and data safety backed up by ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 certifications.
For our project – building a Bitcoin mobile wallet on Cordova – we needed the assistance of a skilled mobile developer. ScienceSoft promptly provided us with an expert who joined our project team and quickly got up to speed with our Scrum processes. The developer managed to quickly understand the existing code base and proceeded to modify and evolve it according to our requirements. Together, we released our app on time and budget.
Devin Hanchar, Director of Technology, Ghostlab Inc.
- Analyzes business needs.
- Performs a feasibility study.
- Describes the scope of the entire blockchain solution.
- Compiles functional requirements.
- Discusses architecture type consensus mechanism, and platform choices with project stakeholders.
- Designs a blockchain architecture.
- Takes part in controlling the compliance of the blockchain solution with the requirements.
- Creates a development schedule.
- Estimates development efforts.
- Controls the development progress.
- Reports the progress to project stakeholders.
- Manages the project team.
- Delivers code of the blockchain using best practices.
- Fixes code issues on QA’s notices.
- Deploys the solution.
- Performs audits.
- Designs the user experience and user interface of client applications.
- Delivers code of client software (web and/or mobile applications).
- Fixes code issues on QA’s notices.
- Delivers code of the back end of a blockchain solution.
- Fixes code issues on QA’s notices.
- Containerizes blockchain components for streamlined testing and facilitated deployment.
- Writes tests for automated testing of the blockchain solution.
- Verifies the blockchain compatibility with the quality standards defined in the project plan.
- Logs testing results.
- All in-house – you task your in-house team with the blockchain solution implementation and bear all responsibility for the project’s success.
- Team augmentation – you hire and manage several blockchain experts to cover the skill gap in your in-house team or shorten time-to-market.
- Partial outsourcing – you outsource most processes, save for project management, and rely on a vendor’s experienced blockchain professionals.
- Full outsourcing – you outsource the entire blockchain development project to a vendor and receive a complete, well-tested solution in time and on budget.
Benefits of Blockchain Development Outsourcing to ScienceSoft
We analyze economic feasibility of blockchain development for each individual case and can develop a Proof of Concept to test solution viability.
We work in close collaboration with project stakeholders to get an in-depth understanding of their blockchain needs and fully meet their expectations.
We can deliver an MVP in 1–4 months and grow it to full-featured software with major releases every 2–4 weeks. We start within 1–2 weeks and work applying Lean, Agile, and DevOps.
Focus on security
We implement robust fraud detection algorithms, authorization controls, transaction validity confirmation, and other security tools to ensure protection of blockchain solution data.
Optimized costs of implementation
Flexible pricing options
One of the key factors that affect the costs of blockchain software development is blockchain transaction costs:
Among other cost factors are:
- Blockchain network type (private, public, hybrid).
- Blockchain consensus mechanism type.
- Number and complexity of a solution's functional modules (dApps, smart contracts).
- Number and complexity of web/mobile applications for interaction with the blockchain solution.
- Number and complexity of potential integrations with software via custom APIs.
- The planned deliverable (PoC or a full-scale solution).
ScienceSoft is an IT consulting and software development agency headquartered in McKinney, Texas. Backed up by a mature, ISO 9001-approved quality management system, we design and develop robust and secure blockchain solutions. We also offer professional advisory sessions on blockchain architecture design and project planning of blockchain development initiatives.