Custom LMS: Key Features, Benefits, Development Costs
Having experience in building solutions for academic learning and corporate training since 2015,
ScienceSoft offers all-round consultancy on custom and platform-based learning management systems (LMS).
custom LMS: the Essence
Custom LMS is software that is developed to meet specific eLearning needs with custom course building tools for creating interactive eLearning content, native integrations with HRIS, CRM and other business systems, custom reports and dashboards, gamification features, and more.
- Support of diverse content (text, images, video, audio).
- Authoring learning content using built-in or third-party tools.
- Embedding content from external sites.
- Advanced search.
- Assigning and enrolling learners to training.
- Scheduling training sessions.
- Tracking training activities.
- Alerts and notifications.
- Virtual classroom.
- Mobile learning.
Learning assessment and feedback
- Tests and quizzes.
- Polls and surveys.
- Certification management.
- Competency management.
- RSS feeds.
- Forums and discussion boards for sharing knowledge and resources.
- Content ranking and commenting.
- Mini-games simulating real-life scenarios.
- Interactive videos.
- Reward points.
- Auditable compliance reports.
- Diagnostic tools to identify compliance and competence gaps.
- Support of eLearning technical standards like SCORM and xAPI.
Examples of Custom LMS Capabilities
Keep employees updated on new learning materials and provide them with personalized content recommendations
Get full visibility into learning content usage, training enrollments, learners’ progress, and other eLearning-related data
- CMS - to facilitate LMS content management, including eLearning content creation, editing, storage and search.
- Video conferencing software - to easily schedule and conduct online instructor-led training in LMS.
- HRIS or a talent management system - to maintain data consistency in both systems, for example, changing HRIS data like an employee’s position leads to automated changes in permissions and assigned training in LMS. Also, employee records in HRIS are updated based on training passed and competencies assessed.
- CRM - to deliver training to sales teams right through CRM interface, drive customer education by connecting with customers before, during and after a sale to facilitate product onboarding, ensure product feature adoption, and more.
A high level of automation of eLearning management, which increases the productivity of trainers and trainees.
Intuitive built-in content editing tools that allow non-technical users to easily create diverse and interactive eLearning content.
Full visibility into the training process, which allows finding bottlenecks and improve the training process.
Learning at any time and any place via a mobile version of learning management system.
Custom learning management system development costs depend on the functionality and required IT services:
$40,000 – $90,000+
- LMS implementation.
- Data and eLearning content migration.
- Integrations with HRIS, Single Sign-On systems, and more.
$90,000 – $300,000+
The same as for midsize businesses plus the following features:
- Integration with CRM, ERP, ecommerce software.
- Multi-tenancy (individual sub-portals according to the organizational structure).
- Multilingual support.
- AI integration (learning path personalization, advanced reporting and analytics, enhanced security and compliance).
- Reduced training costs via learning online, mobility and reusable training content.
- Increased training coverage of employees.
- Reduced time and costs of employee onboarding.
- Improved training efficiency.
- Higher employee productivity via increased engagement and personalized learning paths.
Custom LMS implementation can show the following economic impact:
0.1 - 0.9 years
120 – 430%
When Custom LMS Is Your Best Choice
Custom learning management system is a go-to solution when you need tailored user-friendly UI and should adhere to strict security and compliance requirements. Or you may look for specific functionality that LMS platforms usually lack or you want to combine learning management with other solution. For example, for one of our customers, ScienceSoft created a learning portal, which combined knowledge and learning management functionality. The solution was designed for vocational training and apprenticeship programs for construction workers and provided extended learning management capabilities for employers, colleges and training providers and learners.
With 32 years in custom software development, ScienceSoft knows well how to deliver a robust, tailored LMS. We offer you the following services:
Custom LMS consulting
- Analyzing eLearning needs.
- Selecting an optimal set of LMS features.
- Recommending integrations (CRM, HRIS, ecommerce systems).
- Choosing technology and implementation methodology for a solution.
- Drawing a project plan.
- Elaborating user-friendly UX/UI design.
Custom LMS development
- Business analysis and design.
- End-to-end development.
- Data migration.
- Quality assurance.
- Post-implementation support.
- User adoption and training.
ScienceSoft is a global IT consulting and IT service company headquartered in McKinney, TX, US. We advise our customers on the implementation of custom and platform-based LMS and offer full-cycle LMS services, including development, integration, QA, training and post-implementation support. Being ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 certified, we guarantee high-quality IT services and security of our customers’ data. If you are interested in custom LMS, feel free to consider our LMS consulting offer.