SCORM Сompliant Learning Management System
Having experience in building custom LMS since 2015, ScienceSoft offers consultancy and implementation of tailored SCORM compliant learning management systems.
SCORM compliant LMS is built in line with eLearning technical standards that govern packaging and delivery of eLearning content, tracking and storing eLearning data like test results, learning progress, total time spent on learning, and more. SCORM compliance enables LMS compatibility with other SCORM compliant eLearning software, which ensures reusability of eLearning content and helps reduce eLearning costs. SCORM LMS can integrate with LCMS and relevant enterprise systems (e.g., HRMS, ecommerce), and its cost ranges from $40,000 to $300,000.
There are different versions of SCORM standards, and a learning management system can support one or several of them at a time. The choice depends on the SCORM version supported by third-party learning content for your LMS or authoring tools you use to create eLearning content as well as required LMS features. For example, SCORM 1.2 enables showing only completion statuses for progress (completed, incomplete) while SCORM 2004 provides both completion statuses and success statuses for test scores.
SCORM 2004 4th Edition, the latest version of SCORM, offers the following specification books:
Content aggregation model (CAM)
CAM specifies how to package learning content. Content packaging specification is described in a specific .XML file, including a course’s layout and file structure and allows LMS to import and launch all the course’s learning materials.
Run-time environment (RTE)
Sequencing and navigation (SN)
SN covers XML rules that define how a learner navigates through LMS content, for example, which activities they need to complete before going to the next step and how progress data is rolled up to the course level. Thus, SN helps set up a personalized learning path for each learner.
To enable work with SCORM compliant learning content, SCORM compliant LMS offers the following features:
- Support of diverse SCORM compliant authoring tools (e.g., Adobe Captivate, Easygenerator).
- Creating a SCORM package by instructors to share learning content with third-party SCORM compliant learning software.
- Creating personalized learning paths by an instructor for a learner.
- Progress bookmarking (a learner can continue the course from the last viewed page).
- Tracking learners’ progress and course status (e.g., not started/in progress/completed or passed/failed).
- Time tracking (e.g., session time, total time spent on learning).
- Learning scores tracking (e.g., test and quiz scores, passing score for a course, score per learning module).
- LMS usage statistics (e.g., which pages are viewed and for how long).
Learning content management
- Support of multiple types of learning content (e.g., text, images, audio, video, AR/VR/MR).
- Content embedding from external sources (e.g., YouTube, Vimeo, Wistia).
- Automated indexing and metadata creation for learning content.
- Advanced search of learning content based on titles, metadata, and parts of learning content.
- Filtering and ranking of search results.
- Enterprise search (search across LMS and integrated systems).
eLearning process management
- Assigning courses to individual learners or learner groups by a learning administrator or an instructor.
- Automated enrollment of a learner in a relevant course based on their knowledge assessment, skills, training needs.
- Learners' self-enrollment to courses.
- Scheduling training sessions and other events (e.g., exams, workshops) by instructors and the L&D team.
- Interactive video conferencing support to hold live classes.
- Notifications to learners triggered by events (e.g., course completion) and changes in learning content (e.g., adding of a new course to LMS).
- Automated reminders to learners about upcoming exams, deadlines for assignments, etc.
- A mobile version of LMS for learning on the go and microtraining (learning in small chunks).
Learning assessment, analytics and reporting
- Customizable forms for instructors to create tests and quizzes with diverse types of questions (multiple choice, yes/no, matching, etc.).
- Customizable reports for learners, instructors, and learning administrators (e.g., course completion rate, time spent on training, learners’ satisfaction rate).
- Scheduled reporting for learning administrators and instructors.
- Automated reminders about expiry of learners’ certifications to the L&D team and learners.
- Tests to achieve certification of course completion.
- Automated creation and delivery of electronic certificates to learners after they pass a test.
- A searchable database of learners’ competencies and skills for learning administration staff, HR teams, etc.
- Tracking learners’ competency gaps for learning administration staff, HR teams, and managers.
- Tools for learner-instructor and learner-learner communication and knowledge sharing (live chats, discussion boards, blogs, forums, etc.).
- Learning content ranking and commenting for learners.
- Polls and surveys to collect learners’ feedback on the learning process and measure their satisfaction.
- Learners’ personal pages containing all learning-related information: skills, certificates, completed courses, scores, etc.
- Achievement points.
- Badges and rewards for completing training objectives, completing a course or passing an exam.
- Mini-games simulating real-life scenarios.
- Interactive videos, etc.
Security and compliance management
- Data encryption, access control, two-factor authentication, and other security features to protect learning records and materials (e.g., test results, teaching aids) from unauthorized viewing, modification, and deletion.
- Support of government and industry-specific data security regulations (e.g., GDPR, HIPAA).
- Auditable reports on learners’ compliance with relevant standards (e.g., manufacturing staff needs to obtain certification on health and safety in manufacturing).
- LCMS – to create SCORM compliant courses in LCMS and transfer them to a learning management system to arrange learning programs based on these courses.
- HRMS – to enable automated enrollment of a learner in relevant training in LMS based on the changes in the HR system’s data (e.g., expired certification, new job responsibilities); automated updating of learning records in HR software based on the user’s learning history in SCORM LMS (e.g., passed assessments, completed courses, received certificates).
- Ecommerce software – to facilitate selling proprietary SCORM courses.
- Collaboration software – to schedule and conduct online instructor-led training in SCORM compliant LMS as well as facilitate collaborative learning and file sharing.
SCORM compliant authoring tools
(built-in or third-party) to enable the creation and deliver SCORM learning content.
Suitable SCORM version or versions for LMS
to avoid software compatibility issues, as there are several versions to consider (SCORM 1.1 and 1.2, 4 Editions of SCORM 2004).
to meet specific needs of learners, instructors and learning administration staff (e.g., navigation icons, menu display, personalized learning paths, custom reports).
LMS costs depend on covered functionality, chosen deployment option (cloud, on-premises or hybrid), and required related services (e.g., data migration, user support, user training). LMS costs range from $40,000 for a solution with basic functionality to $300,000 for a system offering such features as multilingual support, advanced AI-based learning analytics (e.g., skill gap analysis), and integrations with other systems (HRMS, ecommerce software, etc.).
LMS implementation can show the following economic impact
0.1 - 0.9 years
120 – 430%
Key financial outcomes
Reduced training costs due to the reusability of learning content, no additional costs for integrating third-party SCORM content as SCORM courses can run on any SCORM LMS.
Enhanced quality of courses due to getting valuable insights from SCORM-related data tracking (scores, learning progress, time spent, pages viewed, etc.).
Increased learning engagement due to the diversity of learning content that can be created using SCORM compliant authoring tools.
Custom LMS is a go-to solution when you need tailored user-friendly UI and adherence to strict security and regulatory compliance requirements. ScienceSoft also recommends opting for custom SCORM compliant LMS to meet such eLearning needs as:
- Time-efficient bulk uploading of various courses to multiple employees from various departments (e.g., uploading 100 SCORM-based courses at a time).
- Support of multiple user roles with specific access rights (e.g., Calendar Editor - adding course events to the calendar, Learning Plan Supervisor - creating learning plans for learners).
- Tailored reports based on diverse SCORM-tracked metrics (e.g., course status, total time spent on learning).
- Tailored automated workflows (e.g., enrollment emails are sent to a group of learners as soon as an eLearning administrator assigns a course to them).
- Personalized dashboards that display information relevant for each user role (learners, instructors, learning administrators, etc.), including announcements, training schedules, surveys, polls, and responses.
With 32 years in custom software development and 6 years in eLearning development, ScienceSoft knows how to deliver robust, tailored LMS that provides SCORM compliancy. We offer you the following services:
SCORM compliant LMS consulting
- Analyzing eLearning needs and selecting an optimal set of LMS features.
- Defining the most suitable SCORM version or versions for your case.
- Recommending valuable integrations for your SCORM compliant LMS.
- Defining a tech stack and implementation methodology for the LMS solution.
- Elaborating on user-friendly UX and UI design for your LMS solution.
- Drawing a project plan for SCORM compliant LMS implementation.
SCORM compliant LMS implementation
- SCORM compliant LMS consulting.
- LMS implementation project planning.
- LMS architecture, UX and UI design.
- Web and mobile LMS development.
- LMS branding.
- Integration with LCMS, HRIS, ecommerce software, and more.
- Quality assurance and user training.
- Continuous LMS support and evolution, if required.
ScienceSoft is a global IT consulting and software development company headquartered in McKinney, Texas. We advise our customers on the implementation of tailored LMS solutions in compliance with SCORM technical standards and offer full-cycle LMS services, including development, integration, QA, training and post-implementation support. Being ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 certified, we guarantee high-quality IT services and security of our customers’ data. If you are interested in SCORM compliant LMS, feel free to consider our LMS consulting offer.