Editor’s note: Ann explains why healthcare providers should consider implementing a healthcare LMS. If you need assistance in choosing and implementing an LMS solution to deliver quality cost-effective training to your health workers, feel free to contact our LMS consulting team.
In 2021, 79% of companies expect to spend more on online training than they did last year. Learning management systems (LMS), used by 84% of organizations, currently remain the dominating segment on the eLearning market.
The healthcare industry can benefit from LMS applications in terms of learning scalability and reduced training expenditures per health worker. However, as healthcare training is getting increasingly complex and needs to be highly customizable to each healthcare role, a general-purpose LMS may be not the perfect choice. A custom LMS designed specifically for healthcare providers, or a ready-made hospital LMS is more likely to provide appropriate functionality to meet your unique training needs.
LMS for healthcare: the essence
Healthcare learning management systems are eLearning software tailored specifically to the healthcare industry needs. Healthcare LMSs are designed to deliver personalized, engaging eLearning for healthcare professionals, including physicians, surgeons, pharmacists, nurses, dentists, and others. LMS solutions for healthcare enable healthcare organizations to provide relevant and cost-effective training to their employees to ensure they stay qualified and compliant with up-to-date healthcare standards and regulations (e.g., HIPAA, OSHA) as well as continually improve patient care.
Key benefits of healthcare LMS
- Flexibility. It’s often challenging for busy healthcare professionals to make time for training. Healthcare LMS enables access to training materials 24/7, which allows healthcare employees to study at their own pace, without being distracted from their core responsibilities.
- Improved knowledge retention. Healthcare LMS enables healthcare learners to rewind and repeat training courses. It is crucial to memorizing complex medical and pharmaceutical topics and terminology and contributes to increased knowledge retention.
- Blended learning support. LMS for healthcare supports blended learning, which combines offline and web-based training, as eLearning alone is unable to provide hands-on experience, necessary for most healthcare professionals.
- Easy content creation. You can easily create and update healthcare courses right in the LMS to ensure their consistency with up-to-date healthcare trends and regulatory demands or upload third-party training content into it.
- Confidentiality. Supporting compliance with HIPAA and other regulatory standards, healthcare LMSs ensure the security of patients’ and medical professionals’ sensitive data by providing in-transit and at-rest data encryption, permission-based access, and multifactor authentication.
- Reduced employee training costs. Due to eLearning automation and availability of remote training, you can eliminate or substantially reduce learning administration costs, the costs of offline instructors and physical classrooms. Reusable learning content also helps reduce the cost of educational materials.
Key healthcare LMS capabilities
Along with common LMS features, such as learning scheduling and assignment, tracking and reporting, gamification, mobile learning, healthcare LMSs provide specific capabilities relevant to healthcare industry:
- Multimedia and interactive content, including 3D graphics, AR and VR, for improved visualization, especially in anatomy, genetics, and X-rays modules.
- Telemedicine training for remote healthcare providers.
- Simulation training, including VR simulation, to help healthcare professionals improve their skills in a risk-free environment.
- Ability to share compliance training records between LMSs in case of a health professional’s transfer from one healthcare institution to another.
Next steps to improve corporate training in healthcare
Healthcare LMS can be the right fit for healthcare organizations to enable cost-effective, and compliant training. It can help health workers to upgrade their knowledge, improve performance and enhance the quality of patient care.
If you consider leveraging the benefits of healthcare LMS and need expert assistance in implementing a tailored LMS solution, feel free to contact ScienceSoft’s LMS consulting team.
Looking for a solution to your healthcare IT challenge? Our experienced healthcare consultants are here to help.