Vehicle Tracking System
Information technology and Internet of Things (IoT) integration into automotive, supply chain and transportation industries foster further evolution of modern fleet management industry.
Usage of fleet management software allows companies to reduce risks and costs related to vehicle investment, management, and telematics. Moreover, such solutions provide real-time monitoring capabilities of the truck location, driver behavior, fuel consumption, etc.
Global Positioning System Navigation
Global Positioning System navigation device, commonly known as GPS, is a device that is capable of receiving information from GPS satellites to accurately determine current geographical location. Nowadays, most standalone GPS receivers are used in vehicles.
At the same time, the role of smartphones for navigational purposes is constantly increasing. Android, iOS and Windows Phone devices use assisted GPS or A-GPS technology that utilizes base stations or cell towers to ensure location tracking when the satellite signal is lost.
GPS Technology in Fleet Management
The study reveals that US fleet market counts nearly 19 million vehicles, with 5 million of them having GPS vehicle tracking devices installed. If we add smartphones and portable devices with A-GPS technology used for managing mobile workers, the total count will be close to 8 million. It’s a huge opportunity for logistics and transportation companies to simplify their daily activities and improve overall fleet performance.
BENEFITS OF FLEET TRACKING
- Cutting labor costs. When vehicle-tracking function is turned on, the fleet manager is able to track employee activities (including time spent on breaks), reveal unauthorized stops, and evaluate overtime requests.
- Increased safety. Statistics show that drivers are much more likely to obey the speed limit if GPS vehicle trackers are installed. More responsible driving under remote supervision results in safer trips with fewer accidents.
- Reduced fuel costs. Route optimization and fuel cards usage lead to substantial costs savings. Those functions collect GPS location data and send it to fleet managers for further analysis.
- Better customer service. When delivery companies are able to promptly process new orders using route optimization, the revenue and customer satisfaction increase as a result.
- Fleet maintenance costs savings. Maintenance alerts displayed on drivers’ mobile phones eliminate equipment breakdowns caused by untimely oil changes or ignoring of check engine warnings.
- Insurance premium reduction. Insurance companies often provide discounts for using GPS vehicle tracking systems.
ScienceSoft's OFFERING IN FLEET TRACKING
Custom GPS Fleet Tracking solutions development. New emerging technologies and availability of fast 4G data networks allows ScienceSoft to develop not only simple vehicle tracking solutions, but also more sophisticated GPS fleet management systems for its customers.
Integration with smartphones and other portable devices. ScienceSoft, being an experienced software development company can integrate any customer’s fleet management solution with smartphones and other portable devices. This way it is possible to use such functions as Dispatch Management, Vehicles Maintenance Control and Vehicle Routing outside of the office. Custom mobile fleet management solutions allow consumers to reduce risks and increase revenues by optimizing routes, cutting fuel costs, reducing maintenance expenses, etc.
Integration with customers’ enterprise solutions. In order to ensure smooth operation of all business processes, FMS should be integrated with various other enterprise applications though API. Thus, integration of GPS location tracking functionality and route planning software with existing ERP solutions significantly improves dispatch management, provides better customer service and ensures smooth operation of all business activities.