Virtual Reality for Training: Use Cases, Architecture, Challenges, and Costs
With 33 years in software development and 26 years in 3D modeling, ScienceSoft provides VR consulting and virtual reality app development services.
Virtual Reality for Training: The Essence
VR software for training is aimed at improving learning engagement by 3.75 times compared to classroom learning, raising trainee on-the-job accuracy by 40%, as well as reducing training time by up to 80% and costs by 52%.
In 2020, virtual reality (VR) training was the largest sector in the AR/VR market with 12.1% ($1.3 billion) of gross profit. The figure is expected to grow at a 61.8% CAGR by 2023, as VR continues to be the driving force of cost-effective and risk-free training for all industries.
VR training solution architecture
The architecture of VR training software includes 3 key elements:
A web administration panel
that enables editing of training scenarios and allows adding, deleting, and editing profiles of VR software users.
with databases containing 3D visual assets, training scenarios, and user profiles.
A VR training application
that includes multiple modules, responsible for:
- Processing of input data received from motion and touch controllers and/or haptics gloves.
- Generating visual, audial, and sensory (if required) feedback.
- Loading 3D visual assets, audio, and additional data available for interaction in the VR environment (for instance, textual ‘tips’ messages).
- Simulating the laws of physics in the virtual reality.
- Running training scenarios and enabling interaction with the virtual reality.
- Powering virtual characters with artificial intelligence.
- Recording, analyzing, and assessing trainees’ performance.
Features of virtual reality training solutions
– sets of virtual reality training scenarios, created and modified by an instructor.
– automatic analysis and assessment of a trainee’s progress.
AI-controlled virtual characters
– for communication training with realistic virtual customers or patients.
In-app video streaming
– for playback of video guides or past sessions recordings in the VR environment.
– for group training or training with an instructor.
Industry use cases of VR for training
VR support of traditional training in educational facilities. Improves engagement in the learning process by 3.75 times over classroom learning.
VR software for immersive medical training, from patient communication skills learning and emergency drills to medical procedure and surgery simulations. Raises trainees’ precision and accuracy in medical manipulations by 40% compared to the trainees who attend non-VR training courses.
VR for store employee training to enhance soft skills and prepare for stressful conditions (e.g., Black Friday sales). Allows saving up to 80% of the time required in regular retail training programs.
Automotive industry and aviation
VR corporate training systems to gain high proficiency in vehicle maintenance and control. Enabling safe simulation of challenging vehicle operation situations, such systems eliminate all corporeal risks and cut training costs by 52%.
Manufacturing and construction
VR software for industrial job training. Teaches to operate industry-specific equipment and provides effective safety training for hazardous workplaces while ensuring 4x more effectivity over non-VR learning.
ScienceSoft’s team of three 3D model designers and two C++ engineers has developed a VR training solution for gas station employees. The solution features a virtual copy of a gas station with more than 100 elements of the fuel communication system represented as highly detailed 3D models, which attendants in training can closely inspect and interact with. VR software also displays textual tips next to each equipment part, revealing their purpose and specifics of use.
After introducing the VR training solution to employees, the chain of gas stations managed to shorten onboarding time significantly, which resulted in an increase in revenue.
Cloud services: Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud
Back end: .NET, Python, PHP, Java, Go, Node.js
Mobile: iOS, Android, Xamarin, Cordova, React Native, Flutter, PWA
Databases: Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, Azure SQL Database, PostgreSQL
Trainees can question the privacy of their training progress data.
Check out the solution
When using virtual reality training software, each trainee logs in their own account. This means that they can request and view their own training programs, session recording history, and past results in the VR environment but have no access to such data of their peers. Moreover, data on results and progress is transferred to the cloud via the encrypted connection. Outside of the VR environment, such data can only be viewed in a web administration panel by local authorized staff.
Instructor-free training courses are less flexible and effective for trainees.
CHECK OUT THE SOLUTION
Training courses can be led by AI-controlled virtual instructors. The core of such instructors are natural language processing and text-to-speech algorithms, as well as the deep learning mechanism that uses industry-specific data to evolve continuously. As a result, virtual instructors are capable of holding natural human conversations with the trainees, answering their questions, and competently providing answers and/or additional instructions.
Talking from ScienceSoft's experience, we estimate the starting cost of VR training software as $150,000. For each VR project, we take into account the following factors to calculate a precise cost.
Core cost factors
- Method of acquiring/creating key visuals (Photoshoot, Video shoot, 3D CAD rendering).
- Complexity of training scenarios.
- Number and types of targeted devices.
- Hardware (Tethered HMD: Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Valve Index; Smartphone-compatible viewers: Google Cardboard, Samsung Gear VR, Google Daydream View; Standalone HMD: Lenovo Mirage Solo.)
- AI development.
- Integrations with:
- Content Management System (CMS).
- Learning Management System (LMS).
- Cloud services (price depends on the provider’s plan and pricing policy).
VR for Training: Consulting and Development by ScienceSoft
Drawing on 26 years of experience in 3D modeling and over 7 years in eLearning, ScienceSoft is competent in both consulting and development services for virtual reality training software.
VR for training: consulting
- VR concept finalization.
- Long-term release planning.
- Architecture design.
- Planning of integration with a wide range of hardware and software.
- Technology stack definition.
VR for training: development
- UX and UI design.
- 3D model design.
- VR development and quality assurance.
- Integration with various types of hardware and software.
- Continuous support and evolution.
ScienceSoft is a global software development and IT consulting company established 1989 and headquartered in McKinney, TX. Relying on mature quality and data security management systems backed by ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 certificates, we offer VR software development services for multiple domains and industry use cases.