Virtual Reality Technology: Architecture, Tools, Team, and Costs
ScienceSoft has 27 years of experience in 3D modeling and provides professional VR development services.
The Essence of Virtual Reality Technology
Virtual reality is a technology that allows to move multiple activities into the virtual realm and thus reduce the costs, the time, and – in some cases – even the corporeal risks related to performing these activities in biological reality.
Adoption of VR Technology
- From 2022 to 2025, the global VR market is expected to grow from $12 billion to $22 billion.
- 90% of the companies with annual income of $100 million to $1 billion implement AR/VR, says Deloitte.
- In the US alone, the number of VR/AR users is predicted to reach over 110 million in 2023.
- By 2030, 2.3 million US jobs are expected to use VR/AR techs (compared to the current 80,000 jobs).
- 75% of industrial firms that adopted AR/VR large-scale noticed 10% increase in operations.
Virtual Reality Technology Application
VR in Healthcare
VR in Retail
VR in Manufacturing and Design
How Virtual Reality Works
Below is a high-level VR technology architecture that applies to all VR solutions, regardless of their application field.
The key module of the architecture is VR software, which is responsible for:
- Processing of input data, generally received via motion controllers and haptic gloves.
- Feedback generation (including visual rendering) for output devices like HMD and smart glasses and speakers.
- Physics simulation to apply the laws of physics to the virtual world.
- Data load (3D models, audio, video) from the database.
VR software has two-way communication with the cloud databases: software requests and receives from the cloud such key content as 3D models, textures, and audio. All this content can be uploaded to the database (as well as deleted from it) via a web administration panel.
Depending on custom submodules in VR applications, the following features can be introduced:
AI-controlled virtual characters
for introducing virtual guides, assistants, patients, etc.
Motion- and eye-tracking sensor input processing
for rehabilitation VR and motion/gaze-controlled interfaces.
User performance analytics
for VR training or physical therapy software.
to allow voice-based control and conversations with virtual characters.
Haptics device input processing and feedback generation
for realistic palpable experiences.
In-app video streaming
for media playback in the VR environment.
Virtual Reality Technology Elements
Options: Unreal Engine, Unity, Amazon Sumerian, CRYENGINE.
- VR software development language: C++.
- 2019 Technology & Engineering Emmy (3D Engine Software for the Production of Animation).
- Supports 10+ VR platforms, including OpenVR, Windows Mixed Reality, Samsung Gear VR.
- Asset store with photorealistic visuals.
Non-mobile VR projects; mobile VR that needs high rendering quality.
- Free: noncommercial projects or projects with up to $1 million lifetime gross revenue.
- Paid: 5% of the gross revenue when a project’s lifetime revenue exceeds $1 million.
- VR software development language: C#.
- Used for creating over 91% percent of Microsoft HoloLens VR content.
- Partnerships with Apple, Google, Magic Leap, Microsoft, Oculus, Sony.
- Supports over 20 VR platforms, including Google Cardboard Android and iOS, VR Linux, and Google Stadia.
- Diverse visual asset store, rich in business-related content.
VR projects with no high-end rendering; mobile VR projects.
- Free: if revenue/funding <$100K in the last 12 months.
- Plus: (access to collaboration tools) – $399/year per seat.
- Pro: (source code access + analytics and diagnostics) – $1,800/year per seat.
- Enterprise: (includes industry-specific toolkits) – $200/month per seat, min 20 seats.
- Cross-platform (written once, app code can run on different platforms).
- Partnerships with Samsung and Sony.
- Compatible with WebGL and WebVR, OpenVR, iOS ARKit, Android ARCore.
- Storage is included in the subscription.
- Use of Amazon Rekognition, Amazon Comprehend, and Amazon’s conversational interfaces – Polly (text-to-speech technology) and Amazon Lex (text + voice chatbot).
VR projects that heavily involve interaction with virtual characters.
- Free first 12 months of use: <50MB uploaded asset data, <100 views (5GB)/month, limited use of Polly and Lex.
- Pay-as-you-go: $0.06/GB of 3D assets + $0.38/GB/month + $4.00/1 million characters for Polly + $0.004/voice request + and $0.00075/text request for Lex.
Cloud Data Storages
Options: Amazon S3, Azure Blob Storage.
Azure Blob Storage
- Access to Azure Mixed Reality and Azure Object Anchors (aligning 3D visuals to real coordinates).
- Affordable storage.
- Low latency by default.
- Latency control is defined by the type of storage and plan chosen.
- Built-in data security.
VR projects with strict compliance requirements; businesses with a tight budget or start-ups.
Based on DTUs (DTU = CPU + Memory + I/O data).
- Basic tiers: 5 DTUs, 2 GB max storage – ~$4.9/month.
- Standard tiers: 10 - 3,000 DTUs, 250GB - 1TB data – ~$14.72-$4,415/month.
- Premium tiers: 125 - 4,000 DTUs, 500GB-4TB data – ~$456-$15,698/month.
- Access to Amazon’s deep learning and natural language processing algorithms.
- Stores file objects from 1 byte to 5TB in size.
- Ability to choose data storage regions to optimize latency.
- Rich cloud monitoring pack.
- Possibility to move infrequently used files to cheaper storage.
AI-driven VR projects; projects with strict compliance requirements.
- Free first 12 months of use: 5GB of standard storage; 15GB of data traffic.
- Standard: general storage for all types of data – on average $0.022/GB.
- Intelligent: automatic cost savings for data with changing access patterns – on average $0.022/GB.
Basic Virtual Reality Team Composition and Skills
- VR software architect.
- 3D model designer (options: Autodesk Maya, Autodesk 3DS Max, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Substance Painter, Adobe Illustrator).
- Simulation designer (NVIDIA FleX).
- Back-end developers (options: .NET; PHP; Python; Java; Golang; Node.js).
Cost of Virtual Reality Project Implementation
- Method of acquiring/creating key visual assets (photoshoot, 3D CAD rendering, video shoot).
- Number of user roles.
- Platforms and device types targeted.
VR Technology Consulting and Development with ScienceSoft
Thanks to 34 years in software development and 27 years in 3D modeling, ScienceSoft delivers top-class virtual reality software.
Virtual Reality consulting
- VR app/module concept finalization.
- Implementation road-mapping.
- Planning of integration with various types of software.
- Planning of integration with a wide range of hardware devices.
Virtual Reality development
- Business analysis and research.
- Software architecture design.
- 3D modeling.
- UX and UI design.
- VR development and QA.
- Integration with various types of hardware and software.
- Support and evolution.
ScienceSoft is a global IT consulting and software development vendor. Employing robust quality and data security management strategies, approved by ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 certificates, we build virtual reality software tailored to our customers’ specific industries and use cases.