Development of a Truck Temperature Monitoring Solution
The Customer is a leading logistics company in Western Europe that works with third-party carriers.
The Customer was using an off-the-shelf truck monitoring solution. However, the solution did not allow monitoring temperature and humidity inside the refrigerators. While those parameters could be monitored with the help of refrigerators’ built-in sensors, the company wanted to avoid potential technical failures and be able to continuously monitor temperature and humidity fluctuations inside the refrigerators. Since the Customer had fleet management software in place, they decided to amplify the existing solution with an additional custom module.
An experienced software development vendor, ScienceSoft was chosen to develop the module.
ScienceSoft’s software developers created the solution for cargo temperature and humidity monitoring. It was necessary to integrate the new solution into the Customer’s existing vehicle management system and create a simple user interface.
ScienceSoft’s team suggested a client-server architecture with Amazon’s AWS Cloud acting as a server. The web application development was performed using PHP and Symfony 2. Data gathered from sensors was transmitted in the cloud via GPRS. Data collection was implemented through REST API.
The new module had three main functions:
- Real-time cargo condition monitoring.
- Delivery violations alerting.
- Advanced reporting capabilities with a possibility to display detailed information about a particular delivery, including temperature, humidity, door opening and closing, damaged packaging, etc.
The new module also allowed contacting a driver in case an automatic alert is generated to clarify the situation. Integrated reports and alerts allowed carriers to respond to issues in real time.
A simple web-based user interface with a dashboard was developed. The dashboard displayed real-time alerts and information about the customer’s goods, vehicles and equipment.
A comprehensive solution was developed and successfully implemented. The introduction of the innovative monitoring features resulted in sales increase for the Customer. Additionally, it became possible for the carriers to reduce rejected goods expenses since they could verify the quality of delivery services via reports showing cargo condition parameters.
Key features and advantages of developed system included:
- Ease of installation on any refrigerator type.
- Simple dismantling or transferring to a different refrigerator.
- Autonomous operation of the system.
- Full control of truck temperature and humidity, as well as refrigerator door opening and closing.
- Convenience for customer’s employees due to the new module being integrated into the existing software.
- Quick access to information about the condition of goods.
- The ability to monitor the quality of the provided logistics services.
- The possibility for the Customer's clients and employees to quickly respond to emergency situations.
Technologies and Tools
Need help with a similar project?
Drop us a line, and our rep will contact you within 30 minutes to arrange an initial discussion.