Development of a Computer Vision Solution for Retail
The Customer is a recognized authority in the production of collaborative category management and store mapping solutions.
The customer wanted to develop a solution enabling a retailer or distributor to analyze consumers’ behavioral patterns, more effectively plan merchandizing activities, estimate work of sales personnel, thus resulting in sales and profit increases.
A custom software development company with 32 years in IT and 8 years in image analysis, ScienceSoft created an innovative computer vision solution for the retail industry consisting of the following components:
- A set of camera software (image capturing, camera setup and calibration, camera status monitoring);
- People tracking module (tracking of store staff and customers, using fish-eye cameras);
- Shelf tracking module (tracking of hand movements);
- Fridge tracking module (tracking of hand movement, when interacting with glass-door fridge);
- SilverLight portal (access point for all gathered data and analytics).
ScienceSoft’s team successfully solved the challenging task and promptly delivered the custom image analysis solution that can gather a large amount of merchandising information to perform:
- Analysis of store’s staff activities and intercommunication with customers;
- Tracking of the customers’ movements and activities, including counting customers in specific areas;
- Queue analysis (average number of customers in line, average waiting time, leave count, etc.);
- Hand movement tracking (detection of most popular shelves, products, places);
- Merchandising data collection and analysis.
Technologies and Tools
Intel Parallel Studio, Intel C++ Compiler Professional, OpenCV, Integrated Performance Primitives, NVIDIA CUDA.