Insurance Mobile and Web App Development
Roadmap, Techs, Skills, Costs
ScienceSoft relies on 10 years of experience in insurance software development to design and build robust insurance applications.
Insurance Application Development: Quick Summary
Insurance mobile and web application development services help businesses in the industry provide seamless digital experience for their clients, employees, and vendors, which results in the increased operational efficiency and revenue growth. Insurance apps offer automation of insurance-related activities, enable prompt and convenient interaction and secure sharing of sensitive data between the participants of the insurance process.
- Key project steps: business analysis, application design, tech stack selection, project planning, development, integration, deployment, support and evolution.
- Timelines: 6–11 months on average.
- Cost: $120K–$400K+, depending on the app complexity.
- Team: a project manager, a business analyst, a compliance consultant, a solution architect, a UX/UI designer, a DevOps engineer, a back-end developer, a front-end developer, a QA engineer.
With 750+ experienced and creative IT talents on board, ScienceSoft provides all necessary competencies to build reliable, secure, and stylish apps for various insurance fields.
Types of Insurance Mobile and Web Applications
Provide your clients with vast self-service options so they can instantly apply for insurance, make payments, view policies, submit and track their claims. You benefit from improved customer satisfaction and extended client base along with higher productivity of your internal teams.
Introduce a comprehensive toolkit for your agents to help them easily manage their daily workflows, quickly access the required data, seamlessly interact with clients and your internal teams. With 40%+ increase in the agents’ efficiency, you get momentum to scale up and drive higher revenue.
Let your employees resolve customer and business issues 24/7 from any location. With a mobile app, your employees will be able to perform even the most complex underwriting and claim settlement tasks on the go in a secure and compliant manner.
Help suppliers streamline insurance-related data sharing, improve collaboration with your sourcing and claim resolution teams, and enhance operational efficiency. It will allow you to establish closer partner relationships and build a resilient insurance value chain.
Analysis of the as-is business situation and market research
ScienceSoft starts the insurance app development journey with the thorough analysis of:
- The company’s business needs and app vision.
- The needs and expectations of the app’s target users (customers, agents, suppliers, etc.).
- Competitors’ offerings, their weaknesses and strengths.
- Global and region-specific compliance requirements for the application, e.g., AML/KYC requirements to prevent insurance fraud, PCI DSS for secure card payment processing, HIPAA to ensure security of customer health data, and more.
Insurance application design
At this stage, ScienceSoft introduces a detailed list of functional and non-functional requirements for the insurance app and suggests the proper platform to base a payment app on (web, mobile, or both). It lays the foundation for:
- An optimal feature set for the application (including security and compliance features). We prioritize the features for implementation based on their potential to drive fast payback.
- Architecture design for the insurance application, its components and integration points.
- UX and UI design for the app’s end users and admins. We perform UX research, deliver prototypes, conduct usability testing, create a sleek visual style for the app, and provide UI mockups.
- A plan of app integrations with the required internal and third-party systems (e.g., underwriting software, a claim management system, payment gateways, etc.). If needed, we design custom integration solutions.
Tech stack selection
ScienceSoft composes the toolkit for insurance app development with the client’s priorities (minimized cost, prompt development, etc.) in mind. To streamline development and ensure high quality of the application, we rely on trusted low-code platforms, frameworks, and pre-built components (ready-made UI components, building blocks for the app logic, OOTB deployment scripts, etc.) where possible.
Accurate planning of app development can significantly shorten project timelines and prevent operational and financial risks. At ScienceSoft, this stage includes:
- Defining objectives, KPIs, and milestones for the project.
- Determining project deliverables, duration, and budget.
- Forming the project team and designing collaboration workflows.
- Outlining possible project risks, creating a risk mitigation strategy and plan.
- Estimating the expected TCO and ROI of the insurance application.
Insurance application development
Building the insurance app with ScienceSoft typically covers the following stages:
- Establishing development and delivery automation environments (CI/CD, container orchestration, etc.).
- Creating the app’s server-side code, including API code.
- Developing role-specific user interfaces.
- Running quality assurance procedures in parallel with the development.
Integration with other systems
ScienceSoft establishes the integrations between the app and your business-critical systems. We also conduct integration testing to ensure smooth and secure data flow between the connected solutions.
Application deployment and release
At this stage, ScienceSoft configures the app’s infrastructure, backup and recovery procedures, establishes infrastructure security, and releases the app to the end users. We can also assist in creating a landing page for app promotion or uploading your insurance application to the required web or mobile app stores to streamline app release.
After-launch support and evolution (optional)
ScienceSoft helps ensure seamless performance and high efficiency of your application in the long run by providing:
- Instant identification and fixing of operational issues.
- Monitoring app compliance with the required legal standards and performing compliance audits.
- Upgrading the app’s functional and non-functional capabilities when your business needs change.
Build Your Insurance Application with Professionals
Having decades-long experience in web and mobile development and 10 years of expertise in creating insurance solutions, ScienceSoft knows how to build insurance apps that introduce seamless digital journeys and drive high ROI. We provide:
- Since 1999 in web development and since 2005 in mobile development.
- Since 2003 in cybersecurity to ensure world-class protection of your apps.
- Since 2012 in designing and building insurance software.
- Compliance experts with 10+ years of experience to ensure that your app meets the latest legal standards.
- A mature quality management system and customer data security backed up by ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 certificates.
- Listed among the Americas’ Fastest-Growing Companies 2022 by Financial Times.
Perks of Insurance App Development with ScienceSoft
We define the optimal functionality and tech stack for your app to avoid unnecessary expenses. We rely on iterative development and prioritize the features that offer rapid payoff to help you start driving ROI from app implementation sooner.
We guarantee a quick project start (1–2 weeks), frequent releases (every 2–3 weeks), and apply established Lean, Agile and DevOps practices to ensure app implementation as planned. We can deliver an MVP for your insurance app in 3–5 months.
We create custom sets of KPIs to track the quality of services we deliver and submit regular reports on the accomplished tasks.
We ensure app compliance with all required global and region-specific data protection standards and insurance regulations.
Plans the project, coordinates the team, controls the project progress and reports it to the client.
Analyzes a client’s business needs and app vision, elicits functional and non-functional requirements for the app.
Analyzes legal requirements for the app, advices on the proper compliance maintenance policies to implement.
Designs secure and scalable architectures for the app and the integration solutions.
Designs the user experience and role-specific user interfaces of an insurance app.
Configures the development automation environment and app’s infrastructure.
Creates the UI of an insurance app and fixes the defects found by the QA team.
Codes the app’s back end, integrates the solution with the required systems, fixes the defects found by the QA team.
Designs and implements a test strategy, a test plan, and test cases to validate the quality and security of the app, reports on the QA results.
- Full control over the project.
- Limited team scalability.
- High hiring and training costs to acquire specific skills.
Turn to ScienceSoft to get a consultation on project planning, defining the skill gaps, and more.
- Fast access to the required competencies.
- Balanced project costs.
- High requirements for in-house project management.
Turn to ScienceSoft to quickly enhance your team with the required skills.
ScienceSoft’s Tech Stack for Insurance App Development
In insurance app development projects, ScienceSoft’s team usually relies on the following technologies and tools:
Back-end programming languages
Our .NET developers can build sustainable and high-performing apps up to 2x faster due to outstanding .NET proficiency and high productivity.
ScienceSoft's Java developers build secure, resilient and efficient cloud-native and cloud-only software of any complexity and successfully modernize legacy software solutions.
ScienceSoft's Python developers and data scientists excel at building general-purpose Python apps, big data and IoT platforms, AI and ML-based apps, and BI solutions.
ScienceSoft delivers cloud-native, real-time web and mobile apps, web servers, and custom APIs ~1.5–2x faster than other software developers.
ScienceSoft's PHP developers helped to build Viber. Their recent projects: an IoT fleet management solution used by 2,000+ corporate clients and an award-winning remote patient monitoring solution.
ScienceSoft's developers use Go to build robust cloud-native, microservices-based applications that leverage advanced techs — IoT, big data, AI, ML, blockchain.
Front-end programming languages
ScienceSoft leverages code reusability Angular is notable for to create large-scale apps. We chose Angular for a banking app with 3M+ users.
ScienceSoft achieves 20–50% faster React development and 50–90% fewer front-end performance issues due to smart implementation of reusable components and strict adherence to coding best practices.
ScienceSoft’s achieves 20–50% cost reduction for iOS projects due to excellent self-management and Agile skills of the team. The quality is never compromised — our iOS apps are highly rated.
There are award-winning Android apps in ScienceSoft’s portfolio. Among the most prominent projects is the 5-year-long development of Viber, a messaging and VoIP app for 1.8B users.
ScienceSoft cuts the cost of mobile projects twice by building functional and user-friendly cross-platform apps with Xamarin.
ScienceSoft reduces up to 50% of project costs and time by creating cross-platform apps that run smoothly on web, Android and iOS.
A Featured Success Story by ScienceSoft
Development of Insurance iOS and Android Apps for a US-based Insurance Provider
In just 3 months, ScienceSoft developed iOS and Android mobile apps for the clients of the US insurance company with $61B of total insurance value. The apps introduced self-service damage assessment and claim submission capabilities for policyholders. The insurer achieved nearly 50% reduction in the employee workload within 2 months.
Building a mobile insurance app of average complexity costs around $120K–$180K, while developing a comprehensive web-based insurance application may require $400K+ in investments.
Below, ScienceSoft lists the major factors that impact the cost of an insurance app development project:
The chosen sourcing model (in-house, outsourced).
The type of an insurance app – web or mobile.
For mobile apps: the supported platforms (iOS, Android, cross-platform).
The scope and complexity of the app’s functionality.
The number of user roles and role-specific UX and UI requirements.
The number and complexity of integrations.
Performance, scalability, availability, security, compliance requirements.
Fees for the required cloud storage services, prebuilt app components, integration APIs, authentication tools, messaging services, etc.
ScienceSoft is a global IT consulting and software development company headquartered in McKinney, Texas. We provide end-to-end application development services to help insurance companies design and build reliable apps for their clients, agents, vendors, and internal teams. In our projects, we employ robust quality management and data security management systems backed by ISO 9001 and ISO 27001 certifications.
All about Banking, Financial Services, and Insurance
Solutions for Banks
Insurance Mobile and Web App Development