Editor’s note: Vladimir explains the essence of a leave management system and outlines its key features. If you consider the implementation of a leave management system in your company, you are welcome to turn to ScienceSoft’s team for software consulting services.
When it comes to managing employees’ vacations, days off, etc., the employer deals with numerous challenges: last-minute requests, a lot of paperwork, necessity to comply with the company’s policies. All this can make the entire thing a huge headache.
A leave management system is an online time-off manager that allows you to automate leave requesting and approval (or denial). This software helps you to operate more effectively due to possible integration with payroll and timesheet management tools. The leave management system enables employees to request time-off, vacations, and maternity leaves as well as automates workflows that route these requests to relevant managers and HR specialists for approval, and notifies employees about the decisions.
A leave management system offers a number of benefits, including:
- Ease of use. An employee can request and a manager can approve time-off in just a few clicks. Managers have access to detailed reports and instant notifications. The communication history, pending and approved requests are neatly organized and safely stored.
- Process automation. Leave requests can be approved or denied using an automated approval workflow. This is especially useful for large companies that track leave requests for hundreds and thousands of employees.
- Improved collaboration. A leave management system facilitates the collaboration of employees, managers, and HR teams.
- Transparency. Employees, managers, and HR teams stay on the same page about how much time-off has been used and has left. The software also helps avoid payroll errors.
Overview: Calamari is a leave management system that allows you to automate the management of any kind of employee absence, such as sick leaves, vacations, maternity leaves, and more.
Highlights: A widely used (100+ countries) multinational (English, German, Polish, French, and Spanish) tool with an ability to attach documents to requests. The software can be integrated with tools like Jira, Slack, Office 365, Microsoft Teams, and more.
Limitations: Customizations can be time- and effort-consuming.
- $2 employee/month.
- Minimum 10 employees.
- Custom pricing for 101+ employees.
- 14-day free trial.
Overview: LeaveBoard is a cloud-based HR tool that helps you track employee time-off, centralize workforce data, and get accurate tailored reports that show annual leave allowances, time off balance, etc.
Highlights: The tool is used in 44+ countries. There are free plans for small businesses. You can build your own custom reports for employee vacation, sick days, or other types of time off.
Limitations: Few integrations and no phone and chat support.
- $1.35 employee/month for up to 80 employees.
- $13.50 monthly minimum for paid plans.
- Custom pricing for 81+ employees.
- 14-day free trial.
Overview: Timetastic is an easy-to-use leave management system that eliminates the need for paperwork or spreadsheets to track annual leave.
Highlights: Preloaded with holidays of 250+ countries, maximum absent rules, group bookings that allow you to book time off for a whole department.
Limitations: No possibility to attach documents to leave requests, email support only.
- $1.30 user/month.
- Unlimited users and departments.
- 1-month free trial.
Implement efficient leave management software
A leave management system can automate leave management processes, make them more transparent, and improve collaboration on them. However, the implementation of a user-friendly leave management system requires deep technical knowledge. By taking advantage of ScienceSoft’s 32+ years of experience in software development, you can lift this burden off your shoulders. You are welcome to turn to ScienceSoft’s team to get a consultation or implement leave management software.
Need to deal with a challenge in software planning, development or maintenance? Leverage the qualified assistance of our specialists to get the results you aspire to.