SharePoint Intranet Redesign for a Perfume Manufacturer
The Customer is a Gulf leading perfume manufacturer.
The Customer’s legacy intranet based on SharePoint Server 2013 didn’t meet the Customer’s needs in terms of performance, functionality, and usability. In particular:
- It took around 5 seconds for a page to load.
- Document management functionality including real-time collaboration on documents was missing.
- Only the homepage was in Arabic and English, while the Customer needed all the intranet pages to be available in both languages.
- There was no mobile responsive design.
ScienceSoft, an experienced SharePoint intranet developer, was commissioned to redesign the intranet. Our SharePoint team enhanced the intranet’s functionality, performance and usability by implemented the following:
- Document management features, including document approval workflows.
- Office Online Server that enables the Customer’s employees view and edit SharePoint intranet documents on desktops and mobile devices via using a web browser.
- A company knowledge base consisting of an employee handbook and a labor culture handbook.
- 25 intranet pages for each company department with relevant permissions.
- Bilingualism (Arabic and English) throughout the intranet.
- Custom web parts, including quick links that provided easy access to other corporate software (e.g., HR, help desk, employee time tracking) and social networks.
- Changes in the search topology.
- Division of the current database into two parts – the first part contained user profiles and the second one – the rest of the intranet’s content.
- Intranet UI revamp to make it look similar to the SharePoint modern experience.
- A custom master page, custom templates for the home page, department pages, and user profile pages.
- Two color themes (light and dark).
- Full mobile responsiveness that enabled the intranet’s web parts to automatically adjust to different screen sizes of mobile devices.
The Customer received a feature-rich, high-performing (the page loading time is less than a second) and user-friendly intranet. The intranet helped streamline document management, improve employee productivity and engagement.
Technologies and Tools
SharePoint, Office Online Server.