EHR and EMR Software Development
With a portfolio of 100+ successful healthcare IT projects, ScienceSoft helps software product companies, medical practices, and hospitals develop secure and reliable EHR solutions that fully meet the needs of medical staff.
Since 2005, ScienceSoft has provided a full scope of EHR and EMR software development services to power secure PHI management and facilitate billing and treatment. Our team of healthcare IT experts with 5-20 years of experience guarantees high EHR usability, interoperability, compliance, and efficiency.
ScienceSoft Is a Leader in Healthcare IT Services Market in 2022 SPARK Matrix
ScienceSoft is featured as a leading healthcare IT services provider, along with Athena Health and Oracle Cerner. This achievement is a result of 18 years of tireless pursuit of technological innovation, made possible by ScienceSoft’s passionate team of healthcare IT experts who always strive to make a difference for patients and caregivers alike.
Must-Have Functionality for Winning EHR Software
Whether you are building a new EHR from scratch or upgrading an old solution, ScienceSoft’s healthcare IT consultants and EHR developers are here to help you create a winning feature set.
The core feature set for EHR
Features to advance your EHR
Medical staff’s convenience
- Voice assistance.
- Handwriting and image recognition.
- Medication prescription assistance.
- Advanced clinical decision support (e.g., on treatment planning).
- A knowledge base with data on diseases and symptoms, medication intake schemes, drug interactions, treatment protocols, etc.
- Patient assessment checklists.
- Operational analytics (the total number of visits and schedules, staff workload, etc.).
- Financial analytics (e.g., for fraud detection, financial risk management).
- Billing analytics (process duration, submitted and processed claims share, payer share distribution, etc.).
- PHI analytics (e.g., lab tests, vitals, medical images).
- Practice management.
- Revenue cycle management (RCM).
- Patient portal and app (for visit scheduling, appointment reminders, etc.).
- Patient communication and telemedicine.
- Chronic disease management.
- AI for clinical data extraction, physician decision support, etc.
- Remote patient monitoring via connected medical devices.
- AI healthcare chatbot.
- HIE integration.
- Billing and claims management.
- DICOM viewer.
- Medical inventory management.
SaaS management (for EHR software products)
- Software tenant self-registration.
- EHR trial period.
- User management by tenant via user roles.
- Tenant billing.
- Customization capabilities for each tenant.
When planning the features for your EHR software, security should be an underlying factor. I recommend paying attention to end-to-end PHI encryption, multi-factor authentication, and role-based access management.
These features don't only help guarantee PHI safety and avoid data theft scandals. They also contribute greatly to passing a HIPAA compliance audit and getting ONC certification (if you are targeting the US market) or passing local compliance procedures (if you are operating outside the US).
The Difference between EHR for Practices and EHR for Hospitals
By 2021, 78% of US office-based physicians and 96% of non-federal acute care hospitals have adopted EHRs and experienced the software’s ups and downs. Even though having access to cohesive health and billing data is convenient, many doctors are frustrated with their EHRs’ unintuitive UI, lack of relevant features, and lengthy data entry processes. ScienceSoft’s consultants and EMR software developers suggest focusing on these aspects when designing an EHR for practices or hospitals:
EHR for medical practices
- A holistic medical history for each patient.
- Patient access to personal health records (e.g., via a patient app).
- Support for standard healthcare services like appointments, tests, prescriptions, etc.
- Built-in service coding and billing documentation assistance.
EHR for hospitals
- Instant data exchange between multiple hospital departments.
- Sharing of ADT data with patients’ medical practices.
- Extensive health records storage capacity.
- Support for a wide range of healthcare services (from consultations to surgeries).
Medical Specialties That Can Benefit from a Tailored EHR
Physicians in some medical specialties are less satisfied with off-the-shelf EHRs. Here are the eight specialties with the lowest user experience score. For these fields, the implementation of a custom or specialized EHR solution is likely to be more beneficial in the long run.
Behavioral therapy and mental health
Surgery and critical care
Meet ScienceSoft, a Reliable EHR Software Development Company
- 34 years in software development and 18 years in healthcare IT.
- Working experience with healthcare standards (e.g., HL7, FHIR, ICD-10, CPT, XDS/XDS-I).
- ISO 27001, ISO 13485, and ISO 9001 certifications proving our dedication to data security, medical devices regulatory compliance, and quality management.
- Rich expertise in developing software compliant with HIPAA, GDPR, ONC, FDA, MDR, MACRA, MIPS, CEHRT, SAFER, NCPDP, and SAMHSA.
- Research-based UX/UI design focused on user convenience.
- ScienceSoft’s RPM solution won the Best Healthcare Technology Solution Award 2022 from Health Tech Digital.
- ScienceSoft became a finalist for the Health Tech Award 2022 with its laboratory diagnostics software and for the HTN Now Awards 2023 in the Excellence in Remote Patient Monitoring category.
The Financial Times Includes ScienceSoft USA Corporation in the List of the Americas’ Fastest-Growing Companies 2023
For the second year in a row, ScienceSoft USA Corporation ranks among 500 American companies with the highest revenue growth. This achievement is the result of our unfailing commitment to provide high-quality IT services and create best-value solutions that meet and even exceed our clients’ expectations.
ScienceSoft’s EHR Success Stories
Redesign of a Custom EHR Application for a US Chiropractic Care Provider
After an in-depth quality assessment and code review, ScienceSoft helped a US chiropractic care provider tackle severe vulnerabilities in its legacy custom EHR by completely redesigning the existing solution.
Development of an EHR Mobile Version for a US Healthcare Provider
ScienceSoft delivered an iOS mobile app to help a US healthcare provider’s medical staff use their custom-built EHR on the go. The app allows logging shift time, capturing images, scanning documents, and uploading files to the EHR, thus easing the work of the medical staff.
Implementation of an EHR-Integrated Healthcare CRM
ScienceSoft implemented a Microsoft Dynamics CRM for a healthcare and clinical research center in the Gulf region. Smooth integration between CRM, EHR, and PMS ensured that new patient, appointment, and staff entries would automatically appear in CRM.
Telehealth Software Design, Development, and EHR Integration
ScienceSoft delivered EHR-integrated telemedicine and practice management software for a US business running several primary care practices. Integration with athenahealth EHR ensures smooth access to patient information and convenient billing.
Development of a Health Monitoring Module for Assisted Living Software
ScienceSoft designed and implemented a health monitoring module for efficient tracking of patients’ vitals and test results. The solution aggregates health data, identifies abnormal parameters using healthcare data analytics, and sends automated alerts to the medical staff.
Team Augmentation for an HIE Platform Provider
After partnering with ScienceSoft, the Customer delivered secure data de-identification and sharing software to accompany the core product for patient health information exchange between medical care providers.
President & CEO
Our project required a large amount of industry specific methodology and algorithms to be implemented into our new software connected to EHR/LIS systems, which the team handled well. In addition to the solid technical expertise, ScienceSoft's developers demonstrated a profound understanding of laboratory software specifics and integrations. They are reliable, thorough, smart, available, extremely good communicators and very friendly.
We engaged ScienceSoft to build an Android app that complements our web-based platform for our patients. ScienceSoft advised and successfully led the way from end to end through the technical challenges and considerations with development of the EHR-integrated Android app. We have also engaged them to introduce a few enhancements to the app and would certainly consider ScienceSoft as a technology partner in further software development initiatives.
Prof. Dr. Department of Biomedical Science
During our cooperation, ScienceSoft proved to have vast expertise in the Healthcare and Life Science industries related to the development of desktop software connected to laboratory equipment, a mobile application, and a data analytics platform. They bring top-quality talents and deep knowledge of IT technologies and approaches in accordance with ISO 13485 and IEC 62304 standards.
We worked with ScienceSoft on the refactoring and modernization of our telehealth web portal and a cross-platform patient application. We are thankful for the meticulous and value-driven approach of ScienceSoft’s team. They created comprehensive project documentation, feature lists, and worked out thorough recommendations to help us improve the stability and performance of our solution.
6 Steps to Build an EHR System
EHR software development takes a team effort and comprises a discovery stage, project planning, UX and UI design, development and testing, pre-launch and post-launch activities.
- A Business Associate Agreement (for HIPAA-covered entities).
- EHR market, target audience, and competitors research (for software product companies).
- Business needs and clinical workflow analysis (for healthcare organizations).
- Compliance requirements list (e.g., HIPAA, GDPR, ONC, CMS, FDA, MDR, local regulations).
- An EHR concept and marketing/implementation strategy.
- A business case with TCO and ROI.
EHR project planning
- A feature list and a software requirements specification (SRS).
- A comprehensive EHR design document (including architecture, integrations, and tech stack).
- Risk assessment and mitigation plans.
- A project plan with timeframes, key milestones, KPIs, and budget.
- EHR certification plan (e.g., ONC certification for US-targeted solutions).
UX and UI design
- EHR user scenarios for different roles within the healthcare organization.
- UX wireframes.
- UI prototypes.
Iterative development and testing
- Fully functional EHR front end, back end, and APIs for EHR integration.
- EHR quality report based on the results of functional, performance, security, compliance, compatibility, and accessibility testing.
- Revised and updated documentation, risk assessment and mitigation plan.
- HIPAA risk assessment or GDPR compliance audit report.
- Help with submitting the EHR to an ONC-Authorized Testing Laboratory (for the US).
- For SaMD modules: help with premarket submission according to the FDA 510(k) program (US) or premarket certification by a Notified Body designated under MDR/IVDR (EU) or other authority according to local regulations.
- User training documentation.
EHR launch, support, maintenance, and evolution
- Data migration from the legacy records storage software to EHR (for healthcare organizations).
- EHR deployment to the production environment.
- A help desk and a maintenance team for your EHR (if required).
- The continuous evolution of EHR software functionality & UI based on user feedback and security audits (if required).
3 Ways to Leverage ScienceSoft's EHR Expertise
EHR market entry consulting
We help you:
- Design an EHR feature set with a focus on care workflows.
- Plan high-level EHR architecture and a tech stack.
- Create a business case (featuring investments, ROI, etc.).
- Design user adoption strategy.
Full-cycle EHR software development
We take over:
- EHR feature set design.
- Software architecture planning.
- UX/UI design.
- MVP development (with core EHR features), iterative improvements, and QA.
- Assistance with all relevant certifications.
- Analyzing your legacy EHR software and business needs.
- Designing new EHR features, requirements, advanced modules, etc.
- UI/UX redesign, code refactoring, and development.
- Compliance and security audits with further improvements.
Frequently Asked Questions about EHR Software Development
Is there any difference between EHR and EMR systems?
These terms are often used interchangeably, but there are some differences. EMR is focused mainly on storing and processing medical records (appointment summaries, lab results, etc.), while EHR collects holistic health information covering patient data from different healthcare providers.
Should we sign a Business Associate Agreement with the EHR development vendor?
If you target the US market, your EHR should comply with HIPAA requirements. Thus, you need to sign a BAA with your EHR development partner. This written contract ensures that a business associate will protect ePHI in line with regulatory requirements.
Do I need any EHR certifications?
If you work in the US, you need to submit the EHR to the ONC-Authorized Testing Laboratory (ONC-ATL) to obtain ONC certification. For other target markets, you may also need to get your EHR certified according to the requirements of local authorities. ScienceSoft's business analysts and regulatory compliance consultants are ready to help you define all the applicable regulations and follow them to a T.
What technologies are needed to develop an EHR?
First of all, you need a secure data storage/database (e.g., from AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform). To develop the software, you should also choose fitting back-end and front-end programming languages with accompanying frameworks and libraries. If you want to introduce an EHR for smartphones and tablets, you will also need mobile techs. Here is the list of technologies we commonly use to implement an EHR.
Benefits You Get with an EHR Developed by ScienceSoft
Ease of use
You get EHR software with a human-centric design tailored for the medical staff’s convenience. Doctors or nurses can access EHR from their tablets and smartphones, and software performance will remain stable.
ScienceSoft’s custom EHRs seamlessly communicate with other healthcare IT systems thanks to healthcare data exchange standards at their core (e.g., HL7, FHIR, XDS/XDS-I).
With ScienceSoft’s ample expertise in advanced techs, you can leverage EHR data analytics for diagnostic assistance, blockchain for secure medical data exchange, AI for image recognition, and more.
ScienceSoft’s EHRs are developed in line with the industry’s best security practices and relevant regulations, such as HIPAA, GDPR, CEHRT, SAFER, and MACRA.
Project Timelines and Costs
The cost of custom EHR software development can range from $400,000 to over $2,000,000 and largely depends on the project specifics and target use cases.
Need a tailored EHR/EMR cost estimation?