Equipment Monitoring System
Features, Platforms, and Benefits
Having 12 years of experience in IoT, ScienceSoft offers consultancy and end-to-end implementation of equipment monitoring software.
Equipment Monitoring System: the Gist
An equipment monitoring system enables IoT-based real-time collecting and analyzing of status, utilization, performance, condition, and other equipment data. The solution can optimize equipment operation and streamline equipment maintenance activities in manufacturing, construction, healthcare, oil&gas, electrical, mining, and other industries. For end-to-end data synchronization, it can integrate with ERP, asset management, accounting software, and more.
Below, ScienceSoft shares a typical architecture of an IoT-based system for remote equipment monitoring using the example of a solution for remote monitoring of a water pump. The solution consists of the following components:
Having ample experience in manufacturing IT solutions, ScienceSoft's consultants have outlined the core functionality of equipment monitoring software.
Real-time equipment monitoring
- Equipment status monitoring (e.g., on/off, cycle start, operating steps, programs run by equipment).
- Performance monitoring (e.g., speed, uptime/downtime, planned/unplanned stops).
- Resource consumption monitoring (e.g., electricity, water, coolants).
- Equipment condition and surrounding environment monitoring (e.g., temperature, humidity) using noise, vibration, temperature, pressure, and other sensors.
- Tracking location and availability of equipment and spare parts via barcodes, QR codes, RFID tags, etc.
Equipment data management
- Centralized storage and search of equipment-specific data (e.g., type, serial numbers, manufacturer, model, age).
- Creation, storage and search of equipment-related documentation (e.g., manuals, daily logs, parts lists).
- Creation, storage and search of electronic forms (e.g., pre-shift inspection forms, audits).
- Dynamic form changing based on previously filled-out data.
- E-signing of equipment documentation and electronic forms.
- Managing machine-related data, documents and forms via mobile devices.
Equipment use management
- Equipment scheduling and booking.
- Equipment check-in and check-out.
- Audit trail of equipment-related activities (stops, changeovers, maintenance, etc.).
- Automated generation of notifications about identified equipment defects (e.g., part displacement, breakdown, wear, corrosion) or other issues (e.g., security issues) to an operator or a supervisor.
Equipment maintenance and work order management
- Equipment maintenance history tracking.
- Maintenance scheduling, including preventive and predictive maintenance.
- Regular or emergency work order creation for equipment or its parts requiring maintenance/replacement.
- Automated work order prioritization based on equipment criticality, condition, and more.
- Work order tracking (tracking time spent on maintenance, resources involved, etc.).
Reports and dashboards
- Pre-built report templates (e.g., equipment performance, maintenance history, equipment failure, compliance reports).
- Role-based reports for technicians, managers, etc.
- Real-time dashboards on equipment monitoring (cycle time, operation speed, temperature, resource consumption, etc.).
- Reports scheduling.
- Physics-based modeling for varying process conditions (e.g., speed, cycle time, pressure) to define optimal conditions for maximum equipment operating efficiency (e.g., fast and high-quality production).
- AI-based analysis of equipment data (e.g., uptime/downtime, speed, temperature) to identify abnormal patterns.
- Root cause analysis of equipment issues (malfunction, overheating, etc.) based on historical data.
Forecasting and optimization
- Predicting potential equipment breakdowns and expected time to failure due to corrosion, overheating, load misalignment, and other factors.
- What-if analysis to test different scenarios of equipment behavior in response to operator actions.
- Forecasting resources consumption (electricity, water, coolants, etc.) by equipment and production costs.
- AI-based recommendations on areas for equipment improvement (e.g., mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, software upgrades).
- Optimization of equipment use schedules based on analysis of equipment load.
ScienceSoft recommends integrating equipment monitoring software with:
- Asset management software – to streamline equipment planning and scheduling equipment modernization or disposal.
- Inventory management software – to facilitate ordering of required spare parts for equipment modernization.
- ERP – to deliver accurate equipment data across departments (e.g., Finance, Procurement) for streamlined operational and strategic planning.
- Accounting software – to streamline equipment-related accounting and payments (e.g., procurement of spare parts) and track equipment depreciation.
Success Factors for an Equipment Monitoring System
Based on ScienceSoft's experience in manufacturing IT projects, ScienceSoft's consultants defined crucial factors, which if covered, help get the most of equipment monitoring software.
Mobile user apps
To ensure 24/7 incident reporting and assigning work orders to maintenance personnel.
Via emails, SMS, in-app voice alerts and alarms, and more. To ensure equipment abnormalities will be automatically reported to the relevant personnel in time, so that the personnel could quickly fix problems and optimize equipment-related processes.
Robust reporting capabilities
To create full visibility into all equipment-related data updated in real time, tailor reports to various user roles (managers, equipment operators, maintenance workers).
To get AI-powered insights about root causes of equipment failures and ways to optimize equipment operation, enable predictive maintenance and assess its efficiency, and more.
Via data encryption, access control, multifactor authentication, and other security measures to protect data on equipment location and condition and comply with relevant standards, (ISO 9001, and ISO 13845) and industry-specific regulations (e.g., OSHA, HIPAA, FDA).
Success Stories by ScienceSoft
Machine Control System for Motion-Centric Application
A custom solution for automating sensor calibration and fine-tuning the work of a production line that offers:
- 20+ functional modules.
- Visual interface tools and diagnostic tools.
- Support of automated testing (functional and unit testing).
Defect Recognition Software for an Oil Drilling Equipment Manufacturer
- Detectng drill bit defects in 3D camera images using ML and visual recognition algorithms.
- Displaying the image analysis results as wear percentage.
- Automated recommendations on drill bit replacement or maintenance.
The implementation costs of equipment monitoring software vary greatly depending on the number and types of equipment, the number of users and their roles, integrations required, and other factors.
Key financial outcomes
equipment productivity due to reduced downtimes
production and operating costs due to effective equipment performance and condition monitoring and alerting
equipment downtime due to predictive maintenance
time spent on equipment inspection due to remote monitoring
Equipment Monitoring Products ScienceSoft Recommends
Dynamics 365 Asset Management
Asset Management is an advanced module of Dynamics 365 Supply Chain Management and can be used for real-time monitoring of various equipment (e.g., machines, production equipment, vehicles), including location, condition and cost tracking. In addition, the tool offers equipment maintenance management and work order management.
Equipment monitoring and maintenance management
UpKeep is a maintenance management system that provides equipment activity tracking and inspection, alerting, predictive and preventive maintenance. The tool helps create and assign work orders, track maintenance tasks with due dates, criticality and workers assigned to each task, as well as provides notifications when maintenance tasks are updated.
Work order management for monitored equipment
Fiix is a CMMS that helps monitor, inspect and manage equipment via tagging equipment with printable QR codes, tracking and keeping detailed records of equipment performance and maintenance history. Also, the tool enables preventive and predictive maintenance.
Equipment performance, location and maintenance tracking
When to Opt for a Custom Equipment Monitoring System
ScienceSoft suggests implementing a custom solution when:
Boxed solutions are not sufficient to meet your integration needs like integrations with legacy software (e.g., ERP, asset management and accounting software).
Your equipment monitoring system needs to meet specific compliance regulations (e.g., OSHA, HIPAA, FDA).
You want a cost-effective solution for your large enterprise with numerous types of equipment and monitoring software users, considering that the pricing of many boxed solutions depends on the number of users and equipment managed.
Implementation of an Equipment Monitoring System with ScienceSoft
With 12 years in IoT software development, ScienceSoft offers consulting and implementation services for equipment monitoring software.
Equipment monitoring software consulting
- Defining technical requirements for equipment monitoring software.
- Consulting on IoT devices for equipment monitoring.
- Outlining the solution’s architecture and choosing a fitting tech stack.
- Consulting on key integrations (e.g., ERP, asset management, accounting software).
- Elaborating a data security strategy for your equipment monitoring solution.
- Planning a project and creating a business case, including time, cost and ROI estimation.
Equipment monitoring software implementation
- Eliciting requirements of an equipment monitoring solution.
- Architecture design including an underlying IoT platform and user apps.
- Helping choose, setting and configuring IoT devices for equipment monitoring.
- UI and UX design of user apps.
- End-to-end solution development including building of user apps.
- Integration of the solution with ERP, asset management, accounting software, and more.
- Quality assurance of the machine monitoring system. Security testing.
- User training and after-launch support.
ScienceSoft is a global IT consulting and software development company headquartered in McKinney, Texas. We offer advisory, design, implementation, support and evolution services to ensure effective equipment tracking for large and mid-size businesses in. Being ISO 9001, ISO 27001 and ISO 13485 certified, we guarantee high-quality IT services and the security of our customers’ data. If you are interested in equipment monitoring software, reach out to ScienceSoft’s team.