Custom LMS: Key Features, Benefits and Development Costs
Having experience in building solutions for academic learning and corporate training since 2015, ScienceSoft offers all-round consultancy on custom and platform-based learning management systems (LMS).
What is custom LMS?
A custom LMS is software that is designed to fully meet specific eLearning needs with custom course building tools for creating interactive eLearning content, native integrations with HRIS, CRM and other business systems, custom reports and dashboards, a mobile version of LMS, gamification features, and more.
Custom LMS: Key features
Learning content management
- Support of diverse content (text, images, video, audio).
- Authoring content using built-in or third-party tools.
- Embedding content from external sites.
- Advanced search.
- Assigning and enrolling learners to training.
- Scheduling training sessions.
- Tracking training activities.
- Alerts and notifications.
- Virtual classroom.
Learning assessment and feedback
- Tests and quizzes.
- Polls and surveys.
- Certification management.
- Competency management.
- RSS feeds.
- Forums and discussion boards for sharing knowledge and resources.
- Content ranking and commenting.
- Mini-games simulating real-life scenarios.
- Interactive videos.
- Reward points.
- Auditable compliance reports.
- Diagnostic tools to identify compliance and competence gaps.
- Support of SCORM 1.2, SCORM 2004, AICC, Experience API (xAPI) standards.
- Microtraining (learning in small chunks).
- Synchronization with the LMS backend.
- Personalized learning channels.
Useful integrations for custom LMS
Custom LMS + CMS
to facilitate LMS content management, including eLearning content creation, editing, storage and search.
Custom LMS + video conferencing software
to easily schedule in LMS and conduct online instructor-led training.
Custom LMS + HRIS or a talent management system
to maintain data consistency in both systems, for example, changing HRIS data like an employee’s position leads to automated changes in permissions and assigned training in LMS. Also, employee records in HRIS are updated based on training passed and competences assessed.
Custom LMS + CRM
to deliver training to sales teams right through CRM interface, drive customer education by connecting with customers before, during and after a sale to facilitate product onboarding, ensure product feature adoption, and more.
Success factors for custom LMS
A high level of automation of eLearning management, which increases the productivity of trainers and trainees.
Intuitive built-in content editors that allow non-technical users to easily create diverse and interactive eLearning content.
Full visibility into the training process, which allows finding bottlenecks and improve the training process.
Learning at any time and any place via a mobile version of LMS.
Custom LMS costs and ROI
Custom LMS costs depend on the functionality and required IT services:
$40,000 – $90,000+
- LMS implementation.
- Data and eLearning content migration.
- Integrations with HRIS, Single Sign-On systems, and more.
$90,000 – $300,000+
The same as for midsize businesses plus the following features:
- Integration with CRM, ERP, ecommerce software.
- Multi-tenancy (individual sub-portals according to the organizational structure).
- Multilingual support.
- AI integration (learning path personalization, advanced reporting and analytics, enhanced security and compliance).
Key financial outcomes:
- Reduced training costs via learning online, mobility and reusable training content.
- Increased training coverage of employees.
- Reduced time and costs of employee onboarding.
- Improved training efficiency.
- Higher employee productivity via increased engagement and personalized learning paths.
Custom LMS implementation can show the following economic impact:
When custom LMS is your best choice
Unlike platform-based LMS, custom LMS is a go-to solution when you need tailored user-friendly UI, should adhere to strict security and compliance requirements. Or you may look for specific functionality that LMS platforms usually lack or you want to combine learning management with other solution. For example, for one of our customers, ScienceSoft created a learning portal, which combined knowledge and learning management functionality. The solution was designed for vocational training and apprenticeship programs for construction workers and provided extended learning management capabilities for employers, colleges and training providers and learners.
Custom LMS Implementation with ScienceSoft
With 31 years in custom software development, ScienceSoft knows well how to deliver a robust, tailored LMS. We offer you the following services:
Custom LMS consulting
- Analyzing eLearning needs.
- Selecting an optimal set of LMS features.
- Recommending integrations.
- Choosing technology and implementation methodology for a solution.
- Drawing a project plan.
- Elaborating user-friendly UX/UI design.
Custom LMS implementation
- Business analysis and design.
- End-to-end development.
- Data migration.
- Quality assurance.
- Post-implementation support.
- User adoption and training.
ScienceSoft is a global IT consulting and IT service company headquartered in McKinney, TX, US. We advise our customers on the implementation of custom and platform-based LMS and offer full-cycle LMS services, including development, integration, QA, training and post-implementation support. If you are interested in custom LMS consulting or implementation, feel free to consider our custom software development offer.