Java consulting is aimed to solve technical challenges at any stage of the Java app development project life cycle.
In Java development since 1998, ScienceSoft offers end-to-end Java consulting services that stretch beyond pure advisory and include implementation and support, if required.
The Scope of Java Consulting Services by ScienceSoft
Consulting on the Java app development project launch
- Project planning, time & budget estimation.
- Java app architecture design.
- Selecting tools and technologies for the development and management of a new Java app.
Consulting on the Java app development and deployment processes
- Implementing Java best practices (code quality metrics, code review practices, etc.) in a new or ongoing project.
- CI/CD process setup.
- Infrastructure costs optimization.
New Java app development
- Analyzing needs and expectations of your company and target users.
- Describing functional and non-functional app requirements.
- Selecting techs and designing the app architecture.
- Designing UX and UI.
- Configuring the development, testing and production infrastructures.
- Developing, integrating, testing and deploying the new app.
- (on demand) Continuous KPI-based maintenance, optimization and improvement of the new app.
Java application improvement
- Java code quality audit and code refactoring.
- Adding new app features.
- Migrating to the latest Java versions and modern architectural patterns.
Java application performance optimization
- Review of the current software architecture and tech stack.
- App performance diagnostics to identify the root causes of negative patterns.
- Recommendations on code or architecture changes.
- Training on continuous application performance management for an in-house team.
Java application architecture improvement
- Review of the current app architecture, tech stack, used cloud services, and integrations.
- Identification of security, performance, availability, etc., bottlenecks in the Java app.
- Architecture redesign to improve the app’s scalability, availability, security, compliance, and cost-effectiveness.
Upgrading in-house Java skills
- Technical interviewing to help select Java specialists for your in-house team.
- Tailored training sessions to cover in-house knowledge gaps in Java.
- In Java development since 1998.
- 10-15 years – the average experience of our Java developers and architects.
- A company with 750+ experts on board – BAs, certified PMs, QA consultants, security, DevOps, data engineers, etc.
- Compliance consultants in-house (HIPAA, GAMP, PCI DSS, and more).
- Building microservices architectures since 2016.
- Developing complex cloud applications, including SaaS and large distributed enterprise systems since 2012.
- Big data consulting services since 2013.
- IoT consulting services since 2011.
Java Development Areas We Are Skilled In
Enterprise Java-based applications
- Complex enterprise systems – ERP, CRM, SCM, enterprise asset management (EAM), PIM, enterprise content management (ECM), etc.
- Industry-specific applications – EHR, online banking, POS, etc.
- Web portals – vendor, customer, self-service, ecommerce, community portals.
- Ecommerce websites.
Including XaaS applications with millions of users and response of <1 sec.
- Self-service applications (including mobile banking).
- Multi-player game back end.
- Video streaming and processing software.
- VoIP and messaging applications.
Innovative software in Java
- IoT applications for managing smart connected devices.
- Big data processing and analysis software (e.g., for IoT sensor data, customer activity, SCM events).
- Image analysis software.
- Cybersecurity applications.
APIs in Java
- Private APIs in Java.
- Public APIs in Java.
Development of Innovative CMS
- 4 years of cooperation.
- A CMS product called Enonic eXperience Platform for fast and intuitive building and management of websites, intranets, ecommerce and mobile solutions for public and private enterprises.
- Modern and flexible architecture that has become a strong competitive advantage.
- Techs: Java, Vaadin, Gradle.
Development of Java Back End for a Hotel Guest Self-Service Application
- Multi-tenant microservices architecture.
- Reliable, secure, and reusable APIs for microservices.
- The app stays fast and responsive in the context of multi-userness and high-volume data processing.
- Techs: Java 8, Spring 5.1, SpringBoot 2.1, WebFlux, Spring Data, Hibernate, Swagger, Apache Maven, Docker, Kubernetes, Google Cloud.
Development of a Supply Chain E-Collaboration Platform for 1,700-Store Retailer Auchan
- Full-scale supply chain and inventory management.
- Automated issuing and tracking of purchase orders to/by Auchan vendors.
- Integration of real-time supply chain data provided by buyers, accountants, vendors, store managers, etc.
- Real-time report generation.
- Techs: Jakarta EE, Spring, Hibernate, Oracle.
Development of Electronic Medication Administration Record (eMAR) Software
- The module enables electronic medication administration according to a patient’s diagnosis, tracking medication delivery and narcotic count.
- Integration with specialized assisted living software.
- Techs: Java 8, Spring, Hibernate, Apache Maven, Apache Tomcat, Microsoft SQL Server.
Development of Mobile Number Portability Software
- An automatic mobile number portability system helps mobile subscribers switch service providers without changing their phone numbers.
- Integration with relevant software (e.g., a billing solution).
- Full-cycle testing to ensure seamless system performance.
- Techs: Java, Jakarta EE, Spring, Hibernate, Apache Tomcat 5.0.
How ScienceSoft Measures and Improves Code Quality
Code rules and guidelines
- Following the Java style guide.
- Creating descriptive names for code variables.
- Leaving comments on what particular code functions do.
- Documenting what code (as a whole) does and noting down its dependencies in a final README doc.
- Splitting code into short and focused units.
- Conducting unit tests.
- Keeping code portable.
- Using version control.
Code review practices
- Ad hoc review.
- Pull request.
Code quality metrics
- Maintainability index (MI).
- Cyclomatic Complexity (CC).
- Depth of Inheritance.
- Class Coupling.
- Lines of Code.
- Halstead Volume.
Sample Timelines for Our Java Software Consulting Services
Java code review: up to 300-400 LoC/hr.
Java application performance optimization: from 7-14 days, depending on the application complexity.
Java architecture (re)design: from 5-10 days, depending on the application complexity.
Java application performance assessment with recommendations: from 5-7 days.
Choose Your Service Option
Java consulting at the project’s start
ScienceSoft’s experts can help you with:
- Software ideation: analyzing your business needs and preparing a software requirements specification.
- Java app architecture design.
- End-to-end self-managed Java app development and QA.
- Reinforcing your team with specific skills (team augmentation).
Java consulting for an existing app
ScienceSoft’s consultants take on:
- Auditing the way your app operates and meets your business needs.
- Code reviews by senior-level IT professionals.
- Exploring inefficient Java development processes, irrational cloud services spending, low user adoption, security issues.
- Planning a strategy to handle detected inefficiencies, which may include Java app modernization, refactoring, migration, adding new modules/features, and UI/UX upgrade.
- Fixing flaws in the app architecture affecting performance and security, limiting software scalability.
- Redesigning software architecture with a focus on resilience, easy future updates and optimized maintenance costs.
Pricing Options for Java Consulting Services by ScienceSoft
Best for: Java project feasibility study, PoC.
You pay the price established by a contract.
Time & Material, Time & Material with a cap
Best for: Advisory activities (business analysis, architecture design, project planning, etc.), agile Java app development and implementation, Java app evolution (introducing substantial changes or adding new functionality).
You receive the end-of-the-month invoice based on the hours or efforts reported per month (under the stated upper limit in case of T&M with a cap).
Fixed monthly fee
Best for: L3 Java application support (in-code defect fixes, functional changes).
At the start of cooperation, we define the hourly rate for Java app support activities. After the service is delivered, you pay for a bunch of hours during which we’ve been providing support.