Java consulting is aimed to solve technical challenges at any stage of the Java app development project life cycle.
In Java development since 1998, ScienceSoft offers end-to-end Java consulting services that stretch beyond pure advisory and include implementation and support, if required.
Consulting on the Java app development project launch
- Project planning, time & budget estimation.
- Java app architecture design.
- Selecting tools and technologies for the development and management of a new Java app.
Consulting on the Java app development and deployment processes
- Implementing Java best practices (code quality metrics, code review practices, etc.) in a new or ongoing project.
- CI/CD process setup.
- Infrastructure costs optimization.
New Java app development
- Analyzing needs and expectations of your company and target users.
- Describing functional and non-functional app requirements.
- Selecting techs and designing the app architecture.
- Designing UX and UI.
- Configuring the development, testing and production infrastructures.
- Developing, integrating, testing and deploying the new app.
- (on demand) Continuous KPI-based maintenance, optimization and improvement of the new app.
Java application improvement
- Java code quality audit and code refactoring.
- Adding new app features.
- Migrating to the latest Java versions and modern architectural patterns.
Java application performance optimization
- Review of the current software architecture and tech stack.
- App performance diagnostics to identify the root causes of negative patterns.
- Recommendations on code or architecture changes.
- Training on continuous application performance management for an in-house team.
Java application architecture improvement
- Review of the current app architecture, tech stack, used cloud services, and integrations.
- Identification of security, performance, availability, etc., bottlenecks in the Java app.
- Architecture redesign to improve the app’s scalability, availability, security, compliance, and cost-effectiveness.
Upgrading in-house Java skills
- Technical interviewing to help select Java specialists for your in-house team.
- Tailored training sessions to cover in-house knowledge gaps in Java.
- In Java development since 1998.
- 10-15 years – the average experience of our Java developers and architects.
- A company with 700+ experts on board – BAs, certified PMs, QA consultants, security, DevOps, data engineers, etc.
- Compliance consultants in-house (HIPAA, GAMP, PCI DSS, and more).
- Building microservices architectures since 2016.
- Developing complex cloud applications, including SaaS and large distributed enterprise systems since 2012.
- Big data consulting services since 2013.
- IoT consulting services since 2011.
Java Development Areas We Are Skilled In
Enterprise Java-based applications
- Complex enterprise systems – ERP, CRM, SCM, enterprise asset management (EAM), PIM, enterprise content management (ECM), etc.
- Industry-specific applications – EHR, online banking, POS, etc.
- Web portals – vendor, customer, self-service, ecommerce, community portals.
- Ecommerce websites.
Including XaaS applications with millions of users and response of <1 sec.
- Self-service applications (including mobile banking).
- Multi-player game back end.
- Video streaming and processing software.
- VoIP and messaging applications.
Innovative software in Java
- IoT applications for managing smart connected devices.
- Big data processing and analysis software (e.g., for IoT sensor data, customer activity, SCM events).
- Image analysis software.
- Cybersecurity applications.
APIs in Java
- Private APIs in Java.
- Public APIs in Java.
Our Java-related Tech Expertise
Sample Java Projects by ScienceSoft
Development of Innovative CMS
- 4 years of cooperation.
- A CMS product called Enonic eXperience Platform for fast and intuitive building and management of websites, intranets, ecommerce and mobile solutions for public and private enterprises.
- Modern and flexible architecture that has become a strong competitive advantage.
- Techs: Java, Vaadin, Gradle.
Development of Java Back End for a Hotel Guest Self-Service Application
- Multi-tenant microservices architecture.
- Reliable, secure, and reusable APIs for microservices.
- The app stays fast and responsive in the context of multi-userness and high-volume data processing.
- Techs: Java 8, Spring 5.1, SpringBoot 2.1, WebFlux, Spring Data, Hibernate, Swagger, Apache Maven, Docker, Kubernetes, Google Cloud.
Development of a Supply Chain E-Collaboration Platform for 1,700-Store Retailer Auchan
- Full-scale supply chain and inventory management.
- Automated issuing and tracking of purchase orders to/by Auchan vendors.
- Integration of real-time supply chain data provided by buyers, accountants, vendors, store managers, etc.
- Real-time report generation.
- Techs: Jakarta EE, Spring, Hibernate, Oracle.
Development of Electronic Medication Administration Record (eMAR) Software
- The module enables electronic medication administration according to a patient’s diagnosis, tracking medication delivery and narcotic count.
- Integration with specialized assisted living software.
- Techs: Java 8, Spring, Hibernate, Apache Maven, Apache Tomcat, Microsoft SQL Server.
Development of Mobile Number Portability Software
- An automatic mobile number portability system helps mobile subscribers switch service providers without changing their phone numbers.
- Integration with relevant software (e.g., a billing solution).
- Full-cycle testing to ensure seamless system performance.
- Techs: Java, Jakarta EE, Spring, Hibernate, Apache Tomcat 5.0.
How ScienceSoft Measures and Improves Code Quality
Code rules and guidelines
- Following the Java style guide.
- Creating descriptive names for code variables.
- Leaving comments on what particular code functions do.
- Documenting what code (as a whole) does and noting down its dependencies in a final README doc.
- Splitting code into short and focused units.
- Conducting unit tests.
- Keeping code portable.
- Using version control.
Code review practices
- Ad hoc review.
- Pull request.
Code quality metrics
- Maintainability index (MI).
- Cyclomatic Complexity (CC).
- Depth of Inheritance.
- Class Coupling.
- Lines of Code.
- Halstead Volume.
Sample Timelines for Our Java Software Consulting Services
Java code review: up to 300-400 LoC/hr.
Java application performance optimization: from 7-14 days, depending on the application complexity.
Java architecture (re)design: from 5-10 days, depending on the application complexity.
Java application performance assessment with recommendations: from 5-7 days.
Java consulting at the project’s start
ScienceSoft’s experts can help you with:
- Software ideation: analyzing your business needs and preparing a software requirements specification.
- Java app architecture design.
- End-to-end self-managed Java app development and QA.
- Reinforcing your team with specific skills (team augmentation).
Java consulting for an existing app
ScienceSoft’s consultants take on:
- Auditing the way your app operates and meets your business needs.
- Code reviews by senior-level IT professionals.
- Exploring inefficient Java dev processes, irrational cloud services spending, low user adoption, security issues.
- Planning a strategy to handle detected inefficiencies, which may include Java app modernization, refactoring, migration, adding new modules/features, and UI/UX upgrade.
- Fixing flaws in the app architecture affecting performance and security, limiting software scalability.
- Redesigning software architecture with a focus on resilience, easy future updates and optimized maintenance costs.
Best for: Java project feasibility study, PoC.
You pay the price established by a contract.
Time & Material, Time & Material with a cap
Best for: Advisory activities (business analysis, architecture design, project planning, etc.), agile Java app development and implementation, Java app evolution (introducing substantial changes or adding new functionality).
You receive the end-of-the-month invoice based on the hours or efforts reported per month (under the stated upper limit in case of T&M with a cap).
Fixed monthly fee
Best for: L3 Java application support (in-code defect fixes, functional changes).
At the start of cooperation, we define the hourly rate for Java app support activities. After the service is delivered, you pay for a bunch of hours during which we’ve been providing support.
All about Software Development
Developers for Hire
Enterprise Software Development