The customer is an American company providing business solutions to small and medium size businesses.
The challenge of the project was to make an application that could help beauticians organize work schedule and store data about clients. According to the customer’s request, the software should store the information about appointments, clients’ data, keep track of the correspondence and be synchronized with MS Outlook.
The software development process included Design, Implementation, and Stabilization phases. The main functional features of the software that had to be implemented were:
- A list of all clients including their personal information like photos, treatment history;
- Cosmetologists’ schedule;
- Fully functional mail client that would support SMTP, POP3, IMAP and HTTP mail protocols;
- Possibility to exchange all available data with Outlook Express and Microsoft Office Outlook;
- Possibility to create a set of reports that helps cosmetologists track their revenue and bonuses.
The system architects created architecture base framework (design model) of the future system. To finalize the technical solution it was necessary to specify each functional requirement in the application model. After this step had been completed, the Implementation phase took place. The development of planned functionality was held in compliance with Quality Assurance methodology adopted by ScienceSoft. The following set of procedures was performed to ensure high quality of product:
- Unit test creation: layer structure of application was optimized for unit testing to the maximum possible extent.
- Code review: all changes in source codes were checked crosswise. In other words, developer 1 checked the code of developer 2 and vice versa. In such a way they achieved the high quality of the code, integration of the team knowledge about the system, close cooperation of the team members;
- All sources (as well as all other project data) were collected and shared on the dedicated SVN server. Each project team member used copy of the data from the SVN server;
- ScienceSoft developers implemented their own changes and synchronized (updated) their copies withthe other team members' changes through the SVN server;
- ScienceSoft testing team developed and updated test plans and test cases.
During the Stabilization phase the testing procedures were carried out together with bug fixing, which made product delivery smooth and timely.
The software was successfully released and is currently in high demand in the USA.
Technologies and tools
C# .NET, .NET Framework 1.1, ADO.NET, ASP.NET, Install Shield 11.5, Infragistics Net Advantage 6.3, Clever Components .Net Suite.